“Good value!”

UB guesthouse
Helsinki, Finland
“Good value!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Location in excellent! Manager was helpful about all off our questions. Hostel is clean and well organised. Some critic: the kichen is too small and there's no usefull "hanging around" room for guests. We stayed for six night total.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hostel is one of the oldest in UB based in a Russian apartment building. Yes, this does impact on the space available but the hostel has an upbeat atmosphere and a good vibe and as it is one of the oldest hostels this also means they are well established, have been offering tours for over a decade and know what they are doing.

The location of the hostel is great - a few minutes walk from central Sukhbaatar Square and UB's best cafes, restaurants and bars. The breakfast is complimentary but although simple it is standard amongst the guesthouses in UB.

Yes, the English can be limited amongst some of the staff but wait for a short while and Bobby or Ganba will be there to help you...and they really do help. They also offer an excellent train ticket service.

The drivers who work for the UB Guesthouse are superb and spending time in their company is the highlight of a trip. Again, their English may be limited but their love of their country is the most important aspect.

I really had a wonderful time with the UB Guesthouse and continue to use them whenever I return to Mongolia.

(By the way, the US$20 for the airport transfer mentioned in another review is not a rip-off but what is charged throughout the city by most agencies.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We picked UB guesthouse based on it's reviews here and were not disappointed. We were picked up from the train-station at 6am for free and were able to go into our room (twin room with bunkbed) immediately. There's a good vibe in the guesthouse and you can easily meet other travellers in the tiny lounge (with big sofa), small kitchen or dorm rooms. Lists with planned are hung up on the wall so you can sign up if you want to. Otherwise go and talk to Bobby to organise a more tailor-made tour.

The shared bathrooms are reasonable clean and good-sized. There will be a bit of a queue if the hostel is full. The kitchen is small with all necessities. Free breakfast is advertised, but don't expect too much: slices of bread with Nutella and/or jam and a fresh pot of tea. Wifi is freely available everywhere although we had trouble accessing it from our room. The location of the guesthouse is great, 10 min walk from the T. square, close to restaurants/bars and public transport.

We booked a 8 night/9 day Gobi Desert tour through Bobby and were joined by 3 other people. The max amount of people will be 6 as that is full capacity for the Russian UAZ van and for most of the gers. We could leave some of our stuff at the guesthouse for free as we would come back again. If you don't stay there expect to pay for this. Although there is quite a bit of driving involved and it was getting chilly, the tour was great! I wouldn't recommend going much later than October as you'll get cold and the terrain will be harder to access by van.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, however there is one main point that I believe UB guesthouse should try to work on: We had to pay 2 nights and a tour for 2 people at once. This is quite a sum and I would've preferred to pay all this at once by credit-card. This facility is not available which then means you need to get all this money from the ATM and carry more than a million T (literally!) around on the street. Also there are limits to what you can get from an ATM so you'll have to go more than once. I believe it would be a good improvement to have the option of paying by card

Room Tip: Twin rooms will have bunkbeds, double room has two beds put together.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The staff are quite friendly. Bobby and Kim are helpful, even when you aren't going on a tour with them. The hostel itself is quite small, with the kitchen having hardly enough space for 3 people. Showers/toilets relatively clean. We had them pick us up from the airport which was $20-far too expensive, a big rip! Otherwise, Okay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank afb33
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The hostel is very dated, but I found everything OK. Bobby, the main woman, was friendly but the rest of the staff didn't speak English. I went on a tour organised by the hostel and it was fantastic. We didn't always know where we were going, as the driver didn't speak English and we had no guide, but it was still good. The tour cost around £140, for 4 days, which is very pricey - especially by Mongolian standards, but it was worth it. Perhaps if you are looking for a more 'culturally aware' tour, then go with another company and make sure you get an English speaking guide.
I was a little alarmed at one point. We arrived back from the tour at 6PM Sunday, and I paid the hostel to collect my train tickets as I wasn't able to do this myself, and my train was 9PM. When I arrived back they still hadn't done it. It all worked out for the best, however keep in mind this "laid-back" Mongolian attitude.

The WiFi was good, there is also a computer to use - but BEWARE of putting in any memory sticks or plugging in your phone, the PC has viruses on.
I would maybe stay again, it was cheap, but I there are better hostels in UB for the same price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom H
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was a little bit sick and accidently vomitted in the hostel bed. I couldn´t help it and of course I don´t wanted it and felt ashamed of it. But I went out of my bed and told about the manager Bobby about the accident. She was VERY upset and angry about me. She told me I should have gone to a hospital (I was not seriously sick, just some bad food and the cold ;) and not to them (so I felt also very welcome). I needed to help myself. Well luckily in my dorm there were 2 very helpful and friendly boys who helped me dealing with it. I started crying a little bit, because of the way how I was treated by the hostel staff. When I left the hostel I somehow had to pay TWICE the price for a dorm bed and I needed to go with another very unfriendly girl from the staff to a washing service and I had to pay for it by myself.
Further I have to mention that there were only ICECOLD showers for about 3 days in a row. And they didn´t even spend some little money for a soap in the bathroom, which would have a big hygenic effect and help to prevent spreading diseases.
I will never ever set my food again into this horrible hostel.
Well the other guest again were very awesome and helpful! They are the only ones who left some kind of good memory from this hostel! Thank you guys, if you read this!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ulaanbaatar hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at UB Guesthouse for 3 nights, while we stopped in UB on our way to Beijing. It was very nice of them to come and pick us up from the train station when we arrived at 06:30am and give us our room straight away. I was a little bit disappointed with the double room, which was right at the sitting area, so you could hear all conversations, if you were in your room, and usually had to jump over people's feet and stuff on the way out. The room was on the side of the main road and the iron bars on the windows made it look like a prison, plus only a small window opened, which didn't allow a lot of air in the room, so it was very warm during the night. There are so many notes around the hostel with rules, mainly not allowing you to do certain things, that put me off, especially the one on the door that claims there's no way in or out after midnight, because it is very dangerous outside, which I found very intimidating. We took the tour to Terelj National park, which was reasonably priced. We were promised we would visit the Genghis Khan Statue Complex on our way back to the hostel, but it never happened as at the very beginning of our journey, we were told it was closed for the rest of the week, but could instead go to another place, where a train was stranded and using our English find some of the travellers that were meant to go to the hostel? We did go but of course, the travellers were not allowed out of the train, so we wasted some of our time going there and back, as it wasn't at all on our way. Upon return to the hostel, we found the lady responsible, trying to give our room away, while our stuff was still in there. Apparently, they should have been put in the luggage room, so that we didn't have to pay the room for the night at the park, but we were only told minutes before we departed for the tour and there was no time to do so. I probably wouldn't stay there again, if I were to revisit UB in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple