“Great hotel - except for abominable front desk service!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Sky Hotel & Tower

Blue Sky Hotel & Tower
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
Estes Park, Colorado
“Great hotel - except for abominable front desk service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at both the Ramada and Blue Sky during my 2.5 weeks in UB. The Ramada was great (see my review), but almost all my meetings were at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is right next to Blue Sky, so after the first week, I switched to Blue Sky.

First, the positives. The room was very nice - huge windows with lots of light. The location is fantastic - you are right across from the main square and within just a few minutes walk of many tourist attractions. The restaurant food was very good, and the breakfast buffet was very well stocked. The woman who did the omelets each morning was in particular very friendly and helpful. Lots of good restaurants very close by, including Millie's (don't miss it). They have a free show in the lounge most evenings with Mongolian music. I never had a problem with internet. And in general, the service was very good.

The negatives? The desk in my room was super high and it was impossible for me to work. I asked if they had a lower desk but they said all the rooms had the same desks. I don't really believe that. This really hurt my ability to get work done on my business trip.

But by far the worst part of my stay was the abominable front desk service. The hotel should be ashamed of itself! Let me give you a few examples. When I checked in, I told them that I had booked a 2-night stay on booking.com, but I was probably going to extend my stay for another week. The male front desk clerk looked at me haughtily, tapped on his computer for a few minutes, and then said, "I'm sorry, but we have a large group coming in and we are not able to extend your stay. You'll have to find another hotel." I **knew** he was lying because I had just been on booking.com that morning and saw they had plenty of availability. When I checked into my room, I just went online and booked the hotel for another week. Why would the front desk clerk lie? Was he anti-American or just lazy, or what?

Then, I had a meeting at Parliament (just across the street and the main square - about 5 minutes walk). It was pouring rain and I would be soaked instantly if I went out without an umbrella. I saw the front desk lending an umbrella to someone earlier in the day, so I went up and asked if I could borrow an umbrella as I was a guest at the hotel. The girl turned toward an older woman at the front desk, and the older woman didn't even look up. She just grunted, "No umbrellas." The girl sheepishly repeated this to me, and I couldn't believe it. I demanded to see the manager, who immediately grabbed an umbrella and took down my room number. Again, what in the world is going on here? I would have been completely unpresentable for my meeting with a Parliamentarian if I had gone out in the rain - I would have looked like a wet dog. Why would the Blue Sky front desk staff treat their business guests so poorly?

Finally, when I was leaving, I went to the front desk to arrange a ride to the airport the next day. The front desk clerk told me that it would be $80 for a ride in the hotel car with a hotel staff member, but if I wanted to go cheaper, for $50, she could book with me a hotel car, but with someone who was not a hotel staff member. Given the horrible driving of the taxi drivers in town, I said that I just wanted to do it with hotel staff. She kept pressuring me to take the $50 option. I had to wonder if she was getting a kick back or something. I refused and scheduled the hotel car for 3:30 pm the next day, along with a late check out. Well, lo and behold, at 3:30 am the next morning, I get a phone call from the front desk, telling me that my ride to the airport is waiting. I couldn't believe it. Was this a mistake, or punishment for not doing what I was pressured to do? Given that I had booked a late check out with the same clerk, either she was extremely incompetent or she was punishing me. Given the extremely horrid service from the front desk, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I could give other examples, but you get the idea. Blue Sky is the best location if you need to be downtown, and the facilities are great. But the service is truly the worst I've ever seen in a hotel - not just bad, but malevolent. So if you book here, do it with eyes wide open.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank everglades_gal
Patrick P, General Manager at Blue Sky Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much taking the precious time to to give us feedback.

I would like to apologize most sincerely for the poor experience you recently had.
I regret we were not able to provide a good service to you, especially our Reception desk. .
I am very surprised and disappointed too of the situation you had regarding umbrella and taxi.
We will take this issue very seriously with the team.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Blue Sky Hotel next time you are in Ulaanbaatar.
We can guarantee to do our best in order to improve our service.

King regards

The Blue Sky Hotel & Tower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Excellent location right opposite the parliament.
Professional check in. Clean, rather spacious and well designed rooms. Perhaps carpets need some retightening.
Great views from most rooms due to the hotel's architecture which reminds of a fatter version of the Burj Dubai.
Breakfast and hotel restaurants are of excellent quality. Service appears shy but is generally friendly.
Visit the Lounge on the top floor (it might be necessary to ask the concierge which elevator to take) for a splendid views of UB and surrounding mountains.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DaBene
Dear Guest

We are sincerely glad to your review on the Tripadvisor.
I'd like to express my appreciation regarding our Hotel location and service.
Hope that our Blue Sky Hotel can take a good experience during your stay.

Once again thank you very much for your support.
We will try our best to make our guest full sanctification during their stay in our hotel.

Sincerely yours,

The Blue Sky Hotel & Tower
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

The hotel was a very pleasant surprise in Ulan Bator. The service was good, the rooms were clean and very modern...not sure about the glass bathroom though. The food was also good and well priced. Amazing location on the main square.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JHYYZ
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review.
We really appreciate for your note regarding our service offerings.
I fully agree with your review that about our location. It is a really good location.
I hope that we look forward good opportunity to welcoming back you next time.
Thank you for choosing our hotel.

Best regards

The Hotel Blue Sky Hotel & Tower
Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel has the best rooms in town (measure up to 3-4 star hotels in other parts of the world). However the service quality needs to pick up. House keeping randomly takes away things from the room and forgets to replenish others. The phone usually doesn't work either. Surprisingly the Chinese and Korean restaurants are pretty good, although the price is also good for the hotel. The central location of the hotel also has its negative side, as the traffic, air and noise pollution in the neighborhood can be unbearable for some.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Blue Sky hotel is well-located in the city center and the facilities are generally OK for a business hotel. The rooms are fine (although there are heating and cooling problems) and the fitness center is OK. However, I have just completed my 3rd stay and the service quality seems to get worse on every trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank B1234_11
Delhi, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Blue Sky Hotel in Ulaan Bataar was still being built. The location of this hotel is perfect, right on the main square near the Central Tower (main business center/mall). The room was really good and large bed, large bathroom, smart home system, amazing large window offering a unique view of the Chengis Khan Square. it is quite unexpensive. I would recommend this hotel defenitly

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I travelled to UB for business and stayed at the Blue Sky Hotel as it is located close to the office. Blue Sky is the newest 5 star hotel in UB, and is advertised as being the best in the city. It’s located in the heart of the city, directly opposite the man square, close to the top end shops, and a 15 minute walk to the main shopping district. The hotel itself is in a spanking, new, shiny building.

Service – Just terrible. Staff at the restaurants seem to intentionally ignore paying customers, leaning over counters, chatting with each other and watching youtube videos on their phone (not joking). Tables take at least 15 minutes to be cleared, order 30 minutes and probably another 30 minutes just to get the bill. The staff barely speak any English at all, and you will have to repeat yourself a good 2-3 times before you are understood. I’ve lost count of the number of times I placed a room service order, and got something else altogether. Very annoying!

Food – Horrible horrible. There are several restaurants in the hotel, 2 bars and 1 cafe. All serve the same inedible, overpriced food. I’m not terribly fussy when it comes to food, but everything I ate at the hotel was either greasy rubbish or dry/bland cardboard. The breakfast is ok (frozen hashbrowns are the saving grace). Room service is avoidable altogether. You’re better off eating chocolates or Pringles from the minibar. I’ve tried 4-5 different things on the menu and they’re all various degrees of inedible.

Other services – The gym was basic but well serviced. Wifi worked reasonably well through the stay. The lifts are terrible. Keep 5 minutes aside to get up and down from your hotel room.

Rooms – Bed was comfortable, pillows quite squishy (needed 2 for my neck). TV Bathroom was nice. Housekeeping services were good. AC was very strange. Turned on and off at 5 minute intervals. Kept waking me up through the night.

Last point – at various times over the stay we asked for food/other services to be added to our hotel bill and were downright refused. When we offered to pay by credit card, we were told that the hotel only took cash. Ridiculous! On one night we organised to have a hotel car drive us to the Terelj national park for a day trip the following morning (for $250). At 10:00 OM that night someone called from reception telling us that we had to pay for the car. So I asked for it to be added to my hotel bill. When they said that the payment had to made in advance I agreed to get out of bed and walk down to reception and pay by credit card, at which I was told that it had to be in cash so that the driver could fill fuel in the car! So you’re telling me that the biggest 5 star hotel in UB can’t afford to fill a car with fuel? Completely unacceptable. When I told them that I couldn’t possibly draw $250 from an ATM at this time of night and that I could easily pay by card, they said “then you can’t take the car” and slammed the phone!

On a side note, we walked to the Kempinski Hotel for Sunday lunch and brunch a few times and had very attentive courteous service, along with really good food. The concierge at the hotel took the time to find us a car to take us to Terelj for the day even though we weren’t guests of the hotel. A marked difference in the quality of customer service when compared to Blue Sky.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business