“Very convenient and comfortable”
Review of Bayangol Hotel

and 1 more site!
Bayangol Hotel
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed here many times and always received a warm welcome. Rooms are a good size with comfortable beds, TV, fridge, free high speed internet, ensuite etc. Nice and warm when it's minus 45C outside and rooms have split unit (i.e. quiet) aircon for summer. Wifi in all the public places and cash machine on site with no local charges added. Has a good restaurant and “Casablanca Bar” serving a good selection of bar foods. Great place to meet. Very convenient location within a short walk of Sukhbaatar Square and the Mongolian owned Grand Khan Irish Bar, which also serves excellent food. To me the mixed reviews are a bit of a mystery. I've always had a comfortable stay with good service. The staff were always there to help when needed.

Room Tip: Some good views across the city and beyond from the rooms at higher levels.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank EasyJourney

Reviewed 22 October 2012

This hotel must have been the most luxurious hotel in Ulaanbaator in the mid-1960s when it was built. It has, as another reviewer has said, had some modernisation (lifts etc.) but I found it had retained the charm I remember when I travelled with my parents as a little girl.
The bathroom works and you don't need a degree in rocket science to work out how to turn on the shower, the lights or use the toilet! You just turn the taps and wait a while for the water to get hot, and then it does and it's very nice to stand there and let the dust of the city wash away. I stayed there twice over a period of 10 days and the first time I was on the fourth floor, which was great because the electricity failed one evening so it was no big deal to walk up to the fourth floor (the rooms all have torches on the bedside table so I'm assuming this problem with electricity is not exceptional!). The second time I was up on the 9th or 10th floor and I found the room was way too hot. You can control the air-conditioning but not the huge and effective radiator and because the hotel is on a big avenue you don't want to open the window to let in the frigid night air at that time of the year.
The rooms were big and clean and the beds comfortable and a kettle is provided with tea and coffee (if you like your coffee black and unsweetened: bad luck! The coffee bags come with powdered milk and sugar all-in-one). My colleagues and I were slightly puzzled that when we put the notice on our pillowcases to say that we did not need to have the sheets changed, the bed wasn't made and the used tea/coffee cups not changed. So the next morning we did not put the notice on and the beds were made and clean cups supplied. Perhaps we'd misunderstood something.
We tried two of the hotel restaurants and both times were the only customers. We'd arrived at 8 p.m. and couldn't figure out if we were much earlier than others or much later. The food was OK in both places. The only time we tried the bar we were told they could not serve alcohol because it was the first Saturday of the month and no bars anywhere in Mongolia are allowed to serve alcohol that day.
The wi-fi worked in some rooms but not others but worked fine down in the little coffee bar in the lobby. I tried watching the BBC and the picture would freeze every few minutes but this didn't bother me as I was just keeping updated with the news and not trying to watch a film.
The hotel is much closer to the centre of town than other reviewers seem to think. It is literally five minutes walk from Peace Avenue (the main shopping avenue: beware pickpockets armed with cutters to slice the underneath of your bag with) and Sukbaatar Square which is the heart of the city.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful. If I return to Ulaanbaatar I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Apiersa
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed at Bayangol Hotel for 9 nights in September 2012. Imagine the grandest hotel in the country 50 years ago, with little change other than new lifts/paint/wallpaper. Its fine, comfortable, services work, but nothing luxurious. Staff were friendly, the buffet breakfast was very good, and the range of inhouse cafes/restaurants was a nice option on miserable rainy days. Free wifi in both lobbies and cafes, and the business centre was very helpful. The rooms were basic, and the bed hard, but they did supply us with a baby cot as requested.There was a small balcony but it didn't look particularly safe. The bathrooms were small but sufficient, with a certain soviet-era kitch about them. A 10 minute walk from Suukbaatar Sq along busy Chinggis Khan ave. There was a family of stray dogs living in the pot-holed carpark, amongst the flowering weeds, but they seemed quite friendly and never bothered anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Nice hotel with a free breakfast. The bed quality was great and the staff helpful. A little far from centre about a 15 min walk. Another than that, had a pleasant night here! Bus 11 from the airport will drop you off right across the street from the hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank PresPJ
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I take the attitude that all rooms look pretty much alike when you turn the lights off because I've been forced to stay in some pretty sleazy hotels/motels when nothing better was available. This isn't one of those, but it's far from luxurious. It reminds me of hotels you'd see in movies set in the 1950's in the Soviet Union. That said, I did find the Bayangol to be reasonably comfortable as a place to stay for an extended period of time. (I spent a month there on two separate occasions.)

You need to go in with the understanding that the TV or the Internet may or may not work at any given time. Most of the time they do work, but not always. Just relax and focus on something else for a while. (If you really HAVE to get on the Internet and it’s not working in your room, you can go to the lobby where they have Wi-Fi that seems fairly reliable.) Also, in the mornings you have to let the hot water tap run for quite a while before it actually gets hot, but it eventually does.

Each room has an air conditioning unit that can be adjusted. The heat, however, is a hot-water radiator that (as best I could tell) cannot be adjusted by the guest. With the heat on, I had to use the air conditioner to keep the room temperature at a comfortable level.

The breakfast buffet is quite good if you don't expect everything to be out right at the time they say it will be available (6:30 AM in Summer and 7:00 AM in Winter). They usually start putting food out before the stated times, but it can be as much as half an hour after start time before everything's available.

The Casablanca Restaurant & Bar has a very good selection of food, both eastern and western; but it can get a bit rowdy in the evenings. (I’ve found the Aussies I met there to be a great, although raucous, bunch of guys.) The Bayangol Restaurant and the Mongolian Restaurant have more relaxed atmospheres.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the second floor. The Mongolian Restaurant is located there and it makes for additiona...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DDDurrett
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was a fine hotel for a one-night stay in Ulaanbaatar -- after spending two nights in a yurt and looking forward to the next night on a train to Beijing. Rooms on the upper floors offer a nice view of the city and surroundings, and the wine bar is a pleasant enough place for a drink or dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Very good location
Excelent breakfast
Many choises of restaurants and shops
close to hotel
Free wireless with good speed in lobby
Nice and helpfull people working in hotel
Average room quality and dimension .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple