“Should be better”

Best Western Premier Tuushin Hotel
Ranked #3 of 59 Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
“Should be better”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

As a major international chain the staff should be better trained and the facility should be better managed. I've stayed in this hotel for over 40 nights this year, I'm a diamond member, which I always quote at booking, and yet I never receive any recognition (even when I stayed in January with only 5 other guests in the hotel there was nothing, not even a greeting or a pre-arrival registration). Rooms are OK, decent size, clean, reasonable facilities. Bathroom is a bit of a problem, shower over a very deep bath so you have to step up very high to get in and out, its a bit dangerous.
Staff are very friendly and polite but they just don't know what they are doing, for goodness sake give them some TRAINING! I go to the restaurant for dinner, order my meal, service is very quick. Then I sit there for 45 minutes waiting for the waiter to come back to order sweets or another drink. Most times I just leave. Once I decided to stay until they served me. 1 hour and 15 mins. Ordered chocolate mouse, which was very obviously several days old, thick skin on top and a very fridgey taste. Restaurant is limited, most meals are quite tasty but look almost the same, identical vegies (also served at breakfast). Looks like they make a big batch in the morning and serve it with everything everyday. Too bad if you don't like capsicum. No variety at all. Breakfast buffet is EXACTLY to same everyday and has been for the last year that I have been staying there. I ordered poached eggs one day, when they arrived they were still raw, whites running all over the plate, so I didn't eat them. When the waiter took the plate away he did not even bother to ask me if there was something wrong, they don't really give a toss. Big smiles but not much service. There are some notable exceptions, of course. Incredibly juice is free but water is not!! The lunch buffet is very obviously largely concocted from leftovers from breakfast or dinner.
They should charge another $10 a night and put some decent food.

Room Tip: Ask for one with an Aircon that works, and insist that they fix it if it doesn't. Most blow tep...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Annie C
Javkhlantuushin, Manager at Best Western Premier Tuushin Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Annie

Please give us another try, there are thinghs we are doing on an ongoing basis to get the hotel in better shape, and i am confident you would have a better experience on another visit. .

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at . javkhlan@bestwesternmongolia.mn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
msp
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Hotel reservations are managed by Best Western Premier brand. Hotel is well located a block from the Chinggis Khan Square (old Sukhbaatar square), in the heart of the city of Ulaanbatar - easy to walk to Peach Avenue shopping and restaurants. The old building was a small 5 story high Tuushin Hotel. Last year, new tower was completed. Facilities are new. The staff is friendly, but lacking training deserving of a good property. English is a challenge. A few very good staff could use better support from the rest. Food is average. A few rooms/bathrooms have the known problem reported by others - bathrooms have plumbing issue with bad odor. Hotel management really needs to take care of this. Housekeeping staff needs to be trained better in many ways. Rooms were clean, but service levels are not adequate. Room service is slow. Laundry can get mixed up. Two elevators serving the entire tower is a problem at peak checkin/checkout times. Long lines form. Front desk staff needs more training. All in all, good hotel with new facilities, but service is struggling with staff not being trained well enough to provide 5 star service. Peak prices are same as 5 start hotel would command, but the hotel is not ready to deserve the high tariffs.

Room Tip: Most rooms have good view, higher floors have better view of the city. Corner rooms have good view b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank P A
Shinegerel R, Manager at Best Western Premier Tuushin Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Naturally, we were sorry to learn of your comments relating to service and room odors, as it is our aim to ensure that all guests leave satisfied that we have met and ideally exceeded their expectations during their stay.
We place a lot of emphasis on staff training and conduct detailed induction training for all new staff and continuing on the job and personal development training too, for others. We believe that we still employ some of the best hospitality staff in Mongolia. In recent weeks we employed a number of new trainees in all departments and this may have had some impact initially.
We are aware of an isolated number of rooms where there has been a problem with odor. I can assure you that these have been taken off sale until the problem has finally been resolved and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
We would like to re-assure you of our best intentions and if a problem is brought to our attention during the guests stay, we will do all in our power to assist and resolve. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Shinegerel Regzen
Deputy General Manager
Scottsdale Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The good points were the location which was walking distance to many sites and shops, and a clean comfortable room with a good shower and in room WiFi. Service in the restaurants was slow. For example serving coffee to the table at breakfast was not very prompt. House keeping of rooms was also slow and our room was not made up until late afternoon. However, laundry service and a problem with the room safe was taken care of almost immediately. There were only 2 small elevators which made access to and from our room difficult when a large tour group occupied the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Javkhlantuushin, Manager at Best Western Premier Tuushin Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking your valuable time to leave your comment.
I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the comfortable rooms and best location. Once again, I appreciate for your comment giving helpful tips for our future guests and enable us to grow.

Head of Marketing Department
Beijing, China
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stay at the hotel 1 night. Room is good and all fonctional. However we have been a bit disappointed by the service, either at the bar on top (as usual the waiter bring you the menu and disappear) and the reception while check-in ( was a bit slow and no much information given). The location is good near the central square. Buffet breakfast was good with fresh home made bakery, certainly with a French chef touch. Hotel is new and will certainly improve soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Javkhlantuushin, Manager at Best Western Premier Tuushin Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking your time to writing this feedback to us.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The good points have been already pointed out. I wish to mention the lifts: only two, extremely slow and the food. I have been served exactly the same menu three times in a row. And the food was bad. Hacking said this, I would certainly choose this hotel again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Perfecto S
Dear Customer

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at .

Thank you again for taking the time to write the feedback.
We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wonderful to finally have a deluxe 5-star hotel in Ulaanbaatar! Extremely friendly staff, especially the bell porters and Reception Manager Aggie. Rooms are large, very comfortable with great bathrooms. HOWEVER, hotel needs do something about the air conditioning - the majority of the rooms have problems with a/c and the rooms can get very stuffy when hot air is being pushed through the a/c system. I'm sure that this problem will be solved in the future months.

Meanwhile, I definitely recommend a stay at Best Western Premier - you will enjoy the restaurants and especially the 25th floor Premier Lounge and Restaurant with awesome views of the city and surroundings.

My thanks to everyone on the staff for a great stay during Naadam Festival.

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning is working before moving into a room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Halrice

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one week to attend an international conference held within the hotel. Absolutely everything exceeded my expectation for an hotel in UB. Well appointed room with an awesome view of the parliament square, efficient Wi-Fi and climate control. The bathroom amenities including its layout were well designed. Cleanliness was omnipresent everywhere throughout this nice hotel. The convention hall met all international standards and was equipped with state-of-the-art audio/video equipment.

The front desk staff was very professional and responded very promptly to any request made. Restaurant & banquet staff were also attentive and professional, however English was not spoken by all. This fact did not hampered the good service received. The complimentary breakfast was very good and made with quality products.

In terms of location, you cannot be served better!!! All is within walking distance including some very good restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this hotel for any length of stay in UB.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business