“i was asked to pay for my stay which was booked through points!”

Islamabad Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Islamabad
London, United Kingdom
“i was asked to pay for my stay which was booked through points!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked my stay using Marriott rewards points but at time of check out Marriott staff argued with me that I need to pay for my stay and it is not booked through points. I showed them my reservation on mobile app, which clearly showed that it was through points but the staff continued to argue with me for 15 minutes that I need to pay for the room rather than checking their systems first. I also showed them the reservation email and then they said they are going to check with their manager. They finally agreed that I do not need to pay for the stay. However, I was not offered any apology for this avoidable situation which developed.

The Marriott staff appeared unprofessional, lacking courtesy and strongly in need of urgent training. I am extremely disappointed with the attitude of Marriott staff and the way I was treated.

This hotel is no where near 5 star standard. If you want a comfortable stay choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: You will need to argue with the reception to get a good room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Yasir40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Some of the rooms are pretty small, but I asked if there was a larger room as I was due to stay for several weeks, and they obliged. It was a large room near the elevators, but the rooms are well soundproofed, and the elevators didn't bother me at all. They are good rooms, with enough electrical outlets, a comfortable bed, and quiet rooms. There are 7 restaurants to choose from, and in particular the Thai restaurant is really good.

I can't say that its outstanding in every way, but sometimes you don't need outstanding to have a good stay. There are some weaknesses - the executive lounge is really small, windowless, and the food supplies tend to sit out for hours at a time. There isn't really anyplace to sit in the lobby unless you want to use one of the restaurant / lounges, and if you want to work somewhere other than your room, there aren't very many options. The breakfast tends to be the same from day to day, but there's enough choice that one could probably make the best out of it on a long term basis.

But the management team is quite good. I asked for a better desk chair because I had to do a lot of typing (I'm not sure why they would use these dining chairs in the rooms), and they were happy to oblige. Generally, they accommodated every request I had without any problem. All the others are quite good - cleaning crew, laundry, waitstaff... all solid.

Security is strong, and there are plenty of security personnel in black suits all over the hotel. Its an unfortunate necessity.

I would have no problem returning to this hotel, and I think its a great choice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Marc S
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed for two nights at this hotel last week. Was given a room on the 4th floor with a beautiful view of the Margalla hills. A room on the 4th and 5th floor gives complimentary access to the Executive Lounge located on the ground floor that offers a decent selection of food till 11 pm. This was a nice gesture considering that I had no Elite status with Marriott.

The mini bar fridge in the room was offered complimentary as part of the benefit which I believe was applicable only for the 4th and 5th floor rooms. Valet parking, which was the only way to park at the hotel, was complimentary. The breakfast was also complimentary for two adults. The security at the hotel was very tight obviously since the hotel has been attached twice in the past however do mix security and courtesy very well. The hotel is a five star property of international standards. The room furniture and bathroom furnishings were new, clean and crisp. Would recommend this hotel to any looking for a luxury five star stay in Islamabad.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 4th or 5th floors with the mountain view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Salman J
HartmutNoack, General Manager at Islamabad Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience , we are delighted that your stay with the Islamabad Marriott Hotel was enjoyable.We have taken notice of your comments specially concerning the satisfactory Service of our associates .

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Indoor facilities is good but no outdoor activities, its like a beautifull jail, room accommodation is good,over all its an average five star, one thing more the hotel staff realy realy not friendly and coprative they are only support their side not thing about coustomer faver or convance them,

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank asif041
HartmutNoack, General Manager at Islamabad Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience with the Islamabad Marriott Hotel.

You indicated in your mail that the response of our associates to your request were unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. The matter was discussed with our associates and trainig was scheduled to overcome our shortcoming. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Sincerely
Karachi, Pakistan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night. Having stayed in Serena many times, I had expected that Marriott is a tough competitor. Unfortunately, it fell short by miles and Serena turned out to be far superior.

The hotel of course is very old. Despite reasonable maintenance, its age is apparent. The room is not big and the bathroom is small too. They have done away with bathtubs and have installed rain showers. I expected both the tub and the shower in a 5 star hotel.

Check in was slow. There were 3 staff members at Reception when we arrived. Two of them kept talking and then walked around whereas 1 lady was left to handle 4 guests. I was told that smoking room is not available readily. I asked if I could get the ashtray in my room and was responded affirmatively. However, when I asked Housekeeping to provide ashtray in the room, I was told that it can not be done because I was in a non-smoking room. I told them that I have not been given smoking room because of their own internal reasons and therefore I should be provided with ashtray. After an hour of arguing, I was finally provided an ashtray. During this process, I came to know that their staff is effectively non-responsive. Instead of resolving the issue or coming back to the guest telling the truth, they chose not to call you at all to update. You have to call every 15 minutes to take update.

Last but not the least, they use refilled shampoo, lotion and Mouth Wash !!! This is the first time in my life that I have seen a so called 5 star hotel using refilled mouth wash. Who in the world would like to use it.

To sum it up, go to Serena Islamabad, even if it is more expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JavedAhmed
HartmutNoack, General Manager at Islamabad Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at the hotel.

The issue has been taken up with the concerned hosts/staff members and appropriate trainings have been scheduled to avoid such mistakes in future.

Also we have added up your preferences in your profile notes to ensure a memorable future stay and that our associates will take extra care.

We sincerely hope that you have not lost trust in our services and will patronize us in the future as well.

Should you require any further assistance or future reservation, please do not hesitate to make a direct contact.

Best Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

While this may sound similar to my review of the Islamabad Serena Hotel it is very similar to my experience there thus the similar review. It is hard to pick bw the two hotels in Islamabad both remain fabulous choices...In midst of mayhem in a city called Islamabad there is an oasis of calm, luxury and the epoitome of service called the Serena Hotel Islamabad. Fabulous views of the margalla hills and the rooms are wonderfully sized alongwith a variety of wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Syedarehman
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have now been to Islamabad twice and both times, we have stayed at this hotel. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The housekeeping staff is attentive to your needs wanting you to be comfortable. The concierge and bell staff are most welcoming.

Many are concerned about security traveling in Pakistan. The security provided with a secured entrance is very thorough, but one does not feel like they are walking into a armed bunker. We felt safe, but not locked in. The breakfast buffet menu is very large. It is compatible for most western tastes, yet does offer a bit of the flavors of Pakistan.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steven N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamabad
Islamabad Serena Hotel
Envoy Continental Hotel
Envoy Continental Hotel
#3 of 20 in Islamabad
Pearl Continental Hotel Rawalpindi

Been to Islamabad Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!