“Overpriced...”

Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Bangkok, Thailand
“Overpriced...”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed 3 night in this hotel, it was the most expensive we booked during our stay in Sri Lanka and the worst.

There is no hot water in the bathroom and it is very noisy in the room.

The staff was not so friendly compared to other places

It is not good value for money, I will not recommend this hotel. Our others hotels in Sri Lanka had better services and rooms for half of the price we paid here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SoandMat
Shawantha K, Guest Relations Manager at Omega Regency, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings! and thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. Pls accept my apology first of all, as your stay wasn't a satisfied one up to the level of expectation.

I know that you had been upgraded to a luxury room at the time of arrival which has a new jacuzzi bath tub with shower. I'm sorry that you were confused in accessing hot water through the system as it's bit new to both guests and us in operation.

Your concerns of our staff being unfriendly OR not responsive is something we don't tolerate at any time, where we seek you assistance to identify such incidents to educate and advise our team members to be more effective in guest relation services.

I'm very proud to say that our staff has been the most friendly in Colombo 06, which is proved by previous comments from travelers, which we want to continue to happen and be the most guest friendly hotel in Colombo 06. Therefore I appreciate your kind help to identify such events where you may email me about. thank you!

I still don't understand well your concern about our pricing, as our online rates are the best would any one find for a star category hotels in Colombo 06, and you had even been upgraded to a luxury room without any additional cost . I seek your kind assistance in clarifying this for me which would definitely help us in making pricing decisions in future to make our guests comfortable.

Thank you again for choosing us as your hotel partner in Colombo during your last visit, and I warmly invite you to stay with us again next time you'd be visiting dream island, with a promise to making your stay filled with happy memories.

Kind regards!
Shawantha Kulatunga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Looking at the pics and the reviews we expected a little more. We booked a luxury room which was $75, they told us we were being given the super luxury which goes for $95 usually. However, the lights went out once (only our room, so it was not a general power failure), we turned off the electricity going to the hottub after the power failure as we were afraid of getting electrocuted. The elevator is old and small. There was renovation going on close to the room and was noisy in the morning. It feels like an old hotel with a face lift (which it probably is). The tub has only a hand shower and no main shower so it takes ages to have a shower.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daiya100
Shawantha K, Guest Relations Manager at Omega Regency, responded to this review, 11 May 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us at the Tripadvisor, and we appreciate your assistance in notifying all concerns you had while experiencing your stay.

Please accept my apology about your areas of concerns first of all, as we consider your suggestions and ideas as most valuable in enhancing the comfort of our present and future guests.

All our rooms are equipped with secured individual electrical circuits which are under regular supervision of our maintenance dept., and we leave no room that our guests can get harmed by any means electricity failure. Failures of electricity may happen at individual rooms when trip switch goes off as a precaution, and our house keeping and maintenance staff are well trained to act immediately to make our guests comfortable. I believe that they helped you in your case as well.

We understand your concerns over the elevator. It has a passenger capacity of 6 at a time, and may have to be used about twice when we move luggage. Our staff are very keen to lend a hand whenever a guests need assistance, as you may read in most reviews.

We're sorry that you you were disappointed with the noise generated by nearby renovations, as the hall next to the fourth floor were being converted to a private dining and recreational area for all room guests during that period of time. All our renovations were completed by September last year.

Of course we are an old hotel in Colombo (38 years to be precise), with an excellence of customer service, guest satisfaction, food safety etc. We have kept and keep improving our facilities and guest experiences, as you may notice even now if you could compare our progress by 2015.

I thank you again for all the concerns, and they all have been considered important from the day of review itself, to enhance our guests' experience.

We wish you good times in future, and I warmly welcome you to stay with us again next time you'd be in Colombo with a greater experience.

Kind regards!
Shawantha Kulatunga

Travellers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Male
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Everything was perfect, from my online chat with Mr. Shawantha for my reservations to the time I arrived at the airport until the time I left. I got a chance to be upgraded to one of the luxury room and it was just great! The room was big, very clean and relaxing. I was welcomed by a friendly staff at the airport and was quickly transported to the hotel by a comfortable and luxury vehicle. After a very quick check- in I was in my room. Everything is needed was in the room, from the simple adapter to the welcome treat! The weekend went so fast, I would have loved to stay longer if only I could. Everyone was very helpful and attentive. The staff was all very helpful. I will definitely go back and will recommend others to stay in Omega.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the galle road. they are much quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ashamin
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Omega Regency ! and thank you for taking time to complement your thoughts about your experiences being with us.

Your lovely comments pinpointing our services are highly appreciated which will help other travelers making decisions in future, and I warmly invite you to stay with us again when you'd be visiting Colombo in future.

Thank you! Bohoma Sthuthi ! Shukuriyaa !
Pune, India
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed at omega regency hotel for 7 days, from 25th jan, to 31st jan. Their service is excellent, food is good, and staff is really helpful. i has also ordered taxi from the hotel quite a few times to go around the city. There was no problem with the airport pick up and drop. All in all it a wonder flu hotel and would gladly come back to stay.

Room Tip: take a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chandani18
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Omega Regency - Colombo, and thank you for your kind feed back of you stay in January.

I'm glad to here that you enjoyed the restaurant, and travel counter services, and thanks again for recommending us in your comments which will definitely other travelers making decisions in future.

We wish you a very pleasant future, and warmly invite you stay with us again next time you'd be visiting Colombo.

Thank you ! Shukriyaa !

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Omega whilst on holiday in September 2013. The hotel was undergoing some renovations at the time and there was the occasional inconvenience due to this factor. Room was clean and the service was excellent. The location was great as I used to live in Wellawatte many years ago and this gave me the chance to show my daughter around the places I grew up in. The only downside was the positioning of our room- directly overlooking the Galle Road !!! The constant noise was hard to get used to....The hotel has a very convenient small restaurant downstairs and the breakfasts were terrific ( order early).
Overall ...the staff were quite excellent , ready and willing to accommodate all our requests...
A very pleasant stay...sad to leave after 10 days in Colombo.

Room Tip: Try and book a room away from the Galle Road. the A/C unit in our room was excellent...!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Larry P
Shawantha K, Guest Relations Manager at Omega Regency, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Greetings from Omega Regency - Colombo !

We are glad to hear that you had a nice time being with us with your daughter last September. I believe that your stay in Wellawatte did bring you good memories of your childhood.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused to you due to ongoing renovations in September, and the noisy Galle Road. However, the most of major renovation work are now over as a part of converting this iconic property to one of the best city hotels in Wellawatte, Colombo. Proposed noise minimization work are also in progress to make the stays more comfortable in future.

Thanks for recommending Spice & Ice and it's breakfast service, which we consider as one of the most significant aspects of our services. You kind words had been shared with our team, and they were quite delighted about recommendations of their efforts.

We trust you'll stay with us again next time, and we look forward to welcome you for yet another memorable stay at Omega Regency, Colombo.

Regards! Shawantha Kulatunga
Male
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Me and my wife stayed in an Executive DBL room in this hotel for 11 nights at end August 2013. My personal experience with this hotel, I will gladly say is excellent. Room and toilet was well kept. Management and hotel staff were very friently, efficient and helpful. Room service was fast and the food was warm and delecious. But spice and Ice Restaurant is very lively and was my favorite place for meals.
It was total satisfaction and I will definitely book this hotel for my next visit to Colombo

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiter than the rooms facing Galle Road
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank K M
Greetings from Omega Regency ! We are delighted that you had a wonderful time with us, and it's good to learn that our hospitality and cuisine contributed towards your positive experience.

Thank you for recommending Spice & Ice and it's cuisine, your kind words have been shared with our F&B team.

Thanks again for your repeated patronage and I warmly invite you to stay with is again next you'd be visiting Colombo.

Regards! Shawantha Kulatunga++
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Booked a triple room at this hotel on bed and breakfast basis through a travel agent. But the restaurant staff denied complimentary breakfast for the third person. It took more than half an hour for settling this issue (some miss communication between front office and restaurant i guess). They didn't even ready to serve breakfast even though we said we pay for the third person.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam_PaulV
Shawantha K, Guest Relations Manager at Omega Regency, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings! and thanks for staying at our hotel in June 2012.

We are extremely sorry that you had a bad experience during your stay last year. There may have been a communication error between Front Office & F&B if they didn't serve the 3rd person's breakfast though your booking was on Triple BB basis.

However, our price for breakfast was about USD 4.40/pp in June 2012, and any of our F&B staff shouldn't have refused to serve breakfast even after you were ready to pay for that. I regret that this happened to you during your stay with friends, but it's too late for us to open up an investigation as you commented almost after 1 year since you stay.

I believe that everything else had been alright though you chose the specific topic based on the matter related to the breakfast.

We re-launched our services with a new face lift to the whole premises and a new name on 23rd July 2012 which helped the guest satisfaction levels of accommodation, service, employees etc. to improve, as current survey reports indicate. Our development plan also include future investments for improvements of services & infrastructure for 2013/2014.

To be specific about breakfast operation, we now have an improved version of breakfast menus and a standardized integration system between the departments to make sure our guests are treated with best standards.

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused during your stay last year. But I kindly suggest that comments and concerns can be better used if they are received in most accurate way and not too late, and delayed comments can show a wrong picture of a premises though the mattes had been addressed by the management.

Thank you for your understanding, and I warmly welcome you to stay with us again with some special complements, next time you'd be visiting Colombo.

Regards!