“Lovely boutique hotel in a nice area”

Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Rome
“Lovely boutique hotel in a nice area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in the North West Suite and everything was perfect. Very nice and attentive staff, lovely room, nice restaurant and bar.
Pictures of the place exactly matching the website and what posted by other reviewers.
Since the first enquiry about a booking everything worked out perfectly with professional and timely answers to my emails.
Restaurant also very nice, we enjoyed dining outside on the patio.
One mention to the fact that they cannot sell alcohol on the premises: they can order it for you and get it delivered so you are able to enjoy a beer or a bottle or wine without problems. All you have to do is order it one hour in advance, which we did without issues.
Safe neighborhood, we went for a walk outside the hotel and you have the beautiful Viharamahadevi Park (Victoria Park) and the Town Hall as well as a mosque 5 minutes away. We felt very safe walking around.
Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Although we only stayed in this hotel overnight, it was an amazing place. It is in the Cinnamon Gardens District which is the very wealthy area of Columbo. It has been open ony a few years and was the former home of the first woman prime minister. It is magnificently decorated and we had a huge room, "The North Room" no numbers here, overlooking a wonderful lap pool in the courtyard below. The terrace where we had dinner was lovely and the food absolutely great. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom exceptionally well equipped. It was very relaxing and we had a leisurely breakfast next morning. Unfortunately when we stayed there the hotel did not have a liquor license, but the home brewed ginger beer more than made up for it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We really enjoyed the Paradise Road Tintagel. A beautiful property in a quiet setting in a charming part of Colombo, it had an excellent and attentive staff, excellent food, and spacious and well-appointed rooms. I particularly like the building's connection to Sri Lankan history, and the fact the interior had been designed by one of Sri Lanka's greatest designer/architects. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel on business. The staff were a bit abrupt but the hotel facilities were acceptable for the price and the food good.
I had an awful experience on the last day. I asked the hotel to recommend a taxi firm and they said they would be book a reliable and safe one for me. The taxi was expensive but as travelling alone I thought it was worth it. The driver was highly inappropriate and propositioned me repeatedly, stopping the car and trying to force me to take his number and refusing to take me to my destination. I reported the incident to the hotel when I managed to make my way to my destination and was told the manager would look into it. I received no further contact so chased it up. It was quite clear that he felt this was not an issue at all and the service and response I received was not acceptable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
13 Thank mikerw2
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Tintagel as the first stop on our Sri Lankan holiday. Knowing that Prince Charles had taken over the property a few months earlier told us that the quality would be good. The property is lovely and the service first class. The rooms do vary and my initial impression of our room was that it was small and a bit dark. Reception did offer to move us to another room the next day but as we were only there two nights the disruption did not seem worth it. My suggestion is if you are particular about your room then go for a Suite.

The food was very good and as we were so tired our first night we opted for room service. The choice was good, the service excellent and the food delicious. We enjoyed breakfast very much in the courtyard area but found the service varied between the two days - the first day being better than the second.

The reception staff were excellent - always available with helpful suggestions and a welcoming smile.

The only thing I would have liked different was a better pool area. It is small a not conducive for sunbathing - there is just not enough room or sunlight. I do like a nice hotel pool but then you have to remember that this is an upmarket boutique hotel and the majority of their guests are not going to be there for sunbathing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed in many Colombo hotels and this was by far the best so far. It is a lovely building in a peaceful spot. There is no liquor licence but we brought our own wine and they were happy to by more in on request for us. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful - the airport transfer was very efficient even when dealing with our flight delays. Our early check-in did not pose a problem and they were very responsive in all matters. The only issue I had was a difficulty getting hot water in the shower although they did offer to show me the knack. Highly recommended for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The East room was very well situated and a good size.