“Hidden Gem for our Honeymoon”

Paradise Road Tintagel Colombo
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
New York
“Hidden Gem for our Honeymoon”
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Sri Lanka ended upu being a short detour on our honeymoon to the Maldives. I had an unfortunate passport issue and had to visit the US Embassy in Sri Lanka for resolution before continuing on our trip. The US embassy highly recommended Tintagel for our two night stay in Sri Lanka. We spoke to the hotel manager directly that afternoon, and he assured us they'd help get our honeymoon back on track with our stay that very evening. And that they did! We were exhausted from the long flight and immigration issues, but were greeted with a huge welcome from the staff. They treated us like royalty, and had a beautiful suite ready including roses and a very nice card for our honeymoon. The Northwest suite was beautiful -- very elegant and tastefully decorated, complete with a patio and our own private plunge pool. Quite the hidden gem in Colombo! We ate dinner on their patio restaurant that night, and were delighted to discover the food at Tintagel was equally excellent to the decor. The next day, the hotel manager arranged a driver to take us around the city to some key locations, a lovely lunch on the beach, and then down south to the sea turtle hachery. Our driver, Sherman, couldn't have been nicer and more helpful (including taking us on a second detour to the embassy to finalize my new passport). So all in all, what could have been a painful trip to Sri Lanka to deal with passports turned out to be a delightful trip in and of itself thanks to the Tintagel hotel. We would highly recommend this beautiful property to any of our friends traveling to Colombo. Thank you for helping get our honeymoon back on track!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The Tintagel is full of Ceylon history (happy and sad). It is always a joy to see a historic home converted so nicely into an intimate inn, B&B or hotel.

Discerning travelers looking for luxury but desiring to escape a high-rise box will feel refreshed here. The owner and management take great pride in the property. The restaurant is gourmet class and I hazard to say with some confidence likely one of the best places to dine in the country. There's a stunning intimate bar but, alas, no liquor license. All for show at this point unless you're content to sip juice and soft drinks (although there's a complimentary bottle of wine in each room).

Speaking of rooms there are only 10 of them. They are tastefully decorated. The rooms likely will be featured in many glossy magazines. The only minus in this category is the few but annoying mosquitoes, gnats and midges flying about. Even behind the mosquito net of the bed I got bit a few times (and the bloodsuckers rarely feast on me anywhere -- perhaps the Lankan mosquito is more aggressive).

The wi-fi internet was reliable in terms of speed and connection compared to most places in the region.

One of my favorite touches to this hotel is a nice library where guests can peruse (and take to their rooms or dinner) custom bound books.

I asked for local newspapers to be delivered outside my door every morning. That didn't happen until my last day here. A minor quibble but the sort of request that separates an excellent hotel from a stellar one.

The only other aspect of the Tintagel that bars me giving the property a perfect score involves the wait staff. A hotel and restaurant of this calibre should have well-trained and well-groomed staff. Although everyone was quite friendly and courteous it does take away from the experience when a waiter asks in broken English "What you want food?" or is in dire need of a good dose of deodorant. I had a minor issue with desserts, making certain that they didn't contain nuts. I was twice brought different menu selections I had been assured contained no nuts. Wait staff and perhaps the kitchen seemed a bit clueless about what constitutes a nut. A minor issue for me (likely to have a mild allergic reaction if I eat quantities of nuts) but a serious health hazard for some other people with food allergies.

All in all, I felt like a special guest here and definite kudos are extended to asst. manager Kanishka Malawana who is a world class hotel executive. He made sure that numerous small matters were handled to allow me to work and live more efficiently during my one-week stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Indonesia
Reviewed 23 December 2008

With not a lot of time to organise due to a busy schedule and not a great feeling about the other boutique residences I looked at I frantically booked a 4 night honeymoon break with my husband flying in from one country and me from another to get married. The team were very helpful, with even a phone call from Shanth himself to see how he could make my stay even better.
On arrival we did not get the room we had requested but chose another, which turned out to be ideal as a base to race around the city as well as good WiFi connection to catch up with work. Room was beautifully appointed and on the first night we were the only ones in the house. We had a romantic dinner on the balcony for our wedding night and the team were only too helpful and obliging. Food was good all round as was service. Area and local are quiet and you qualify for a 10% discount at Paradise Road as a resident of the Hotel. We also went to the Gallery Cafe for lunch - which was fantastic!!! I can not imagine staying anywhere else in the City and look forward to going back.

• Liked — the calming effect on a hectic trip - lack of other people
  • Disliked — had to hunt for electrical sockets
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Have stayed at Tntagel twice now and as frequent visitors to Colombo we have tried several of Colombos boutique hotels and have to say accommodation at Tintagel is our favourite, basic layout is tasteful and stylish rooms are spacious and comfortable, service is very good and menu is good , fairly central location within walking distance to Odels and Tuk Tuk or Taxis are easy to obtain. Staff is first class , friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your stay

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Muzz&Krissy
India
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have just returned from a long weekend in Sri Lanka and I stayed at the Tintagel for a night at the beginning and end of my trip. It could not have been more lovely. The staff are welcoming, the decor is stunning, and the rooms are wonderful.

As Sri Lanka in general, and Colombo in particular, is stuffed with lovely boutique hotels, I did of lot of research before I booked. I was really surprised to find that Tintagel was not listed on TripAdvisor - I really can't imagine why, as it's new but not that new and everything about my stay was delightful.

Starting from before I got there, the concierge answered all my questions quickly by email - and using the website floorplans I could choose exactly which room to have. This is important as they only 10 rooms, all suites, each very different in layout - but as expensive as that sounds, prices are reasonable and there is currently a discount till the end of the year (as I said, I think it's quite new). There is a lovely and great restaraunt, although as I had a private outside area in both suites (I stayed in a different one on both nights - both lovely) I ate on my terrace and didn't mix with the hoi polloi much! There's also a pool, which is narrow, but longer than most at boutique hotels.

The bathrooms are lovely - and have both tubs and showers. The second suite I was in had an enormous rain shower walk in shower with benches down the side for lounging about. This on top of a huge bath tub with a discrete view to my private terrace and two hand basins.

The building itself has a long history of housing Sri Lanka primeministers, and is in Cinnamon Gardens, the leafy posh bit of Colombo. It is a huge, private house that has been sympathetically converted to a hotel. The feel is very much of a private house that has been done up by Anoushka Hempel. Lots of stripey stuff and single beautifully placed flowers. It's great.

And let me not forget that the owner (every bit as delightful and charming as his hotel) also owns Paradise Road, which is a justly famous boutique chain in Colombo, in the style of the Conran Shop (but much more affordable). They sell wonderful home furnishing items, which of course are reflected in the hotel - but do not fear, it does not feel like you're in a sale room, it's all very discrete. In fact the only way you would know there's a connection is the 10% discount you get in the shop branches as a guest; they even lay on a free tuktuk service to get there. As I planned to shop at Paradise Road while I was in town, I saved a chunk of cash with that discount too...

I realise I'm raving about the place, but it was probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in for a while - and when I returned for my second night having been away for a few days, I was treated like a conquering hero and long term regular - it was lovely. I think it deserves its place on TripAdvisor!

• Liked — The friendly welcome and the comfortable style of the decor
  • Disliked — Really didn't have a down side
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo