Galle Face Hotel Colombo
US$108
US$176
  • Pool
3,419 results
All reviewsgalle facesea spraycolonial hotelold world charmold wingsri lankaindian oceanwooden floorsoverlooking the oceanjunior suitecolonial stylewatching the sunsetpool barsea frontbreakfast buffethigh teaunder renovation
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This Old Dame is past her day and I'm not sure even the renovation can fix that. Even in the newer wing which remains open, the floors squeak and the walls are thin. How people can say that the major renovation underway as of Dec/Jan 2014 doesn't effect the stay is beyond me. Basically half the hotel, including the main foyer and former entrance area are off limits. Half the front grounds and most of the restaurants are closed as well. Sitting out on the bar/pool area, guests are only metres from working excavator and bulldozers with only a plywood wall to separate guest from worker (see photos). In any other country besides Sri Lanka, this would garner a signifigant reduction in room rates for the duration of construction.

The part of the hotel that is still operational is only suitable to those with a historical interest. For the same or similar price there are much nicer hotels with a few minutes walk. Unless you simply have to be able to say you stayed at The Galle Face Hotel in Colombo, do yourself a favour and stay at one of the other luxury hotels nearby. You will be thankful you did.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator, the halls have hardwood floors and the walls are thin so you hear the staff pushing the housekeeping carts at all hours.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jabelone
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with finding our Hotel under renovation.

Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for renovation; and this has been communicated to our travel agents and corporate accounts. A notice has been posted in the Hotel’s website for the general public.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Lovely welcome and check-in, the hotel has in parts been recently renovated. Wonderful double aspect room overlooking the sea, which sadly needed a bit of love although the furniture was in good condition. Good size bathroom with jacuzzi bath and a large shower, probably would avoid ceramic pots with shower gel, shampoo etc.....
The pool area is probably due to be renovated after the hotel has completed their renovations but very clean and plenty of beds and towels.
The dining room was beautifully decorated, the staff were excellent and the food absolutely scrummlicious both at dinner and breakfast.
I would return to The Galle Face but after all the renovations have been completed. Thank you Galle Face, my Mother and I had a lovely stay with you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our stay at Galle Face Hotel marked the end of our first visit to Sri Lanka. This hotel occupies a fantastic building, a large part of it under renovation. The site, by the sea, is beautiful. Very good restaurant.

Room Tip: Have stayed in a suite, in front of the swimming pool. Excellent!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have stayed at the galle face many many times and well before trip adviser was invented. One of its main advantages is the fact that it's in the city on the sea. I also love the high ceilings and polished wooden floors. It also a short distance from the lagoon seafood restaurant at the Cinnamon grand hotel if you want to treat yourself to some really good food. The Galle face is a little less than perfect and that 's what I prefer. The staff are welcoming and attentive.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Critica l
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here on our last night in Sri Lanka and we loved the hotel. The pool and service were great and the room was lovely (except the very old TV which didn't fit the room at all!)

I booked a 40 minute foot massage at the spa for more than 4000 rupees and was really disappointed. I am pregnant but they laid me flat on my back so the whole massage was uncomfortable. The lady started late and finished exactly 24 minutes later (there was a clock on the wall). I complained and they apologised and said I could go back in for the extra 10 minutes but by that time I felt embarrassed and just wanted to leave. I felt that a discount should have been offered but I didn't press the issue.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with the services provided by the spa.
We ask for your kind understanding and assure you that your comments have been of value to us to provide the best possible standards to our guests at all times. I have personally spoken to the ladies at the spa and I can assure you that they will be more attentive and professional in the future.
Your experience certainly does not in any way represent the quality of standards we strive for, and indeed customarily maintain at our Hotel.

Yours sincerely,