“Littel respect for the guests´needs” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galle Face Hotel Colombo

Galle Face Hotel Colombo
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Kusel, Germany
“Littel respect for the guests´needs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My two adult kids, my wife and me stayed at the Galle Face Hotel in December 2013 for two nights. I had booked the accomodation directly through the web site of the hotel.

When we arrived we were surprized that half of the hotel ( the old wing) was a construction site , also half of the lawn was cut off and big backhoes were digging from moring until late in the evening a big hole into the lawn - I suppose for the new pool.

I was already several times guest to this nice hotel and I appreciated the old conolial flair and the fact that you could dine and have breakfast outside in the garden.

Now all that was gone - we were forced to have breakfast inside - a full, cold airconditioned room . We took our plates and cups out of that room to a walkway which formerly led to the nice former open restaurant - very much of the displeasure of the waiters.... We were not attended at all and had to serve ourselves from inside - seemed that they were afraid other guests might follow our example - which some did....

I complained at the reception about the construction noise and about the workers working until late with flood lights shining towards the rest of the hotel, but they said they could not help it.

Then I asked for a small recompensation or refund of a bit of the price for accomodation , but they also did not give a single Rupee back...

As I had booked in avance and paid in advance I could not do anything about it. But that for sure is not the way to treat your guests.

I will not return to that hotel but go to other nice hotels in that area of Colombo where they honor their guests...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank H H
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with finding our Hotel under renovation.
Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for restoration; and this has been communicated to our travel agents and corporate accounts. A notice has been posted in the Hotel’s website for the general public.

I understand your frustration but we would like you to also understand our difficulty. Our Hotel is going through a much needed face lift to ensure that guests such as yourself can enjoy our iconic property for many years to come.

My wish is that you visit us again so I can personally show you the new Verandah Restaurant.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dunedin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is one of the worst possible stays ever I ever had. upon check in, the person at reception kindly asked for my credit card and with out informing me, he has blocked Sri Lankan Rs 20,000 from my credit card. only for me to realise that my card had inadequate funds, when i used the card out on shopping. He did not explain this bizzare practice,But an intimation prior would be much appreciated. I travelled a lot and have never come across this practice of blocking money from credit card. taking details of redit card for security purposes is standard but not blocking money from card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

When I enquired the hotel staff about this, blocking money, none of them gave an explanation and NO APOLOGIES!!!!!! Very rude staff.

It has been 3 weeks since i checked out of this hotel and so far the block on my credit card is not revoked and still my money is blocked by this hotel, which i still can not use in my country, despite repeated complaints, they could not care to respond to my complaints.

The staff were irresponsible in answering to my querries and had shown differential treatment towards the tourists from India, which is unprofessional and uncalled for.

All I want is the block on my credit card revoked and i would not recommend this hotel for any travellers to colombo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Hasiven
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Sir,

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction and frustration. However, in all fairness, I have to inform you that the procedure that you mentioned is the industry practice in Sri Lanka hotels and many other hotels around the world. This procedure was explained to you clearly upon check in, and again later in the day by our Lobby Manager.
When you check out on 21st May, the block was released by Hatton National Bank Card Centre that same day at 11:51am. If the card is still blocked that could be an issue with your local bank.
We have not received any communication from you to report the issue todate.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations
Timaru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I think the title from Mary Poppins described the feeling that's brewing inside me right now after staying here for two nights. I arrived here at almost 2am in the morning and I got a bad feeling when I witnessed renovation that was taking place. However, what I saw outside didn't transpire inside where there were still quite a number of staff working graveyard shift welcoming night owl like me. I was pleasantly surprised to be refreshed with a cold glass of OJ and icy cold towel to wakened up my stupor. Seriously, the staff ratio then was like six to one, quite impressive! The room didn't disappoint with all amenities provided for. There's an extensive pillow menu and that didn't disappoint. It's refreshing to sleep with the sound of waves crashing against the shore. The whole time, I couldn't hear a single sound from construction site next door. The breakfast buffet offered was seriously good. I took my time exploring this heritage hotel that's steeped in history & which has had hosted many celebrities in the past and present. I was pleasantly surprised with the library on the second floor and the environment was to die for. There was an infinity pool by the sea that's frequented by mostly Westerners. There was also an outdoor area that's decked out with outdoor furniture readying for guests to watch the sunset. In other words, there are nooks and crannies everywhere to satisfy everybody. It's also handily located within the hub of places of interest as well. I'm sure that there are better hotels out there but when it comes to history and pedigree, you truly can't fault this. It truly evokes the era of British Empire yesteryears. There are also shops, spa & gym, safe, hair dryer, WiFi that doesn't restrict the number of entries. Talking about mixing up the old and the new, this is as good as it gets! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank wiredfrog
Colac, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

soon after arriving, i realised why we got such a great deal, The place is only 1/3 operational. The grand Ballrooms and Foyer are all gutted for a refit. This is probable due for it and is timely as new hotels will open soon competing with a grand old lady. Once its finished we would be unlikely to be able to afford to stay there, so I am glad we did stay this time. Even the Galle face green and Galle Road was a construction site and it made it hard to walk around The pool was great and the food was cheap for amazing quality. On a rainy afternoon we headed over to cinanom grand, this was where all the action was. But still happy to have stayed here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 124truereview
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just 1km from central Colombo, sited on the beach, boasting a great tradition. Under refurbishment and we stayed in one of the refreshed rooms. Traditional style, wooden furnishings, with modern controls and power points, and top quality bath/shower room.
We ate at the pool in the evening. Nice setting, albeit a restricted menu; decent food but the chips were cold! Against that the service was super-keen; such a pleasant contrast with business hotels in most commercial city centres around the world. Extensive breakfast buffet, with a variety of English and Sri Lankan dishes, with many made to order.
Worth 5* - despite the cold chips.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PTS99
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were initially slightly disappointed when we arrived to find half the hotel under renovation works. We checked in (without a complaint) and were shown to an incredible suite. The room was at the end of one of the wings and had four huge windows overlooking the Indian ocean. The spa like bathroom, huge jacuzzi and sitting room more than made up for the fact that there was renovation work happening elsewhere in the hotel! The gorgeous pool and the garden were perfect for some late night drinks. Fantastic, memorable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We really had an amazing visit in this hotel. The hotel is divided into 2 wings, the original wing, built in the 1800's and the new wing, built to mirror the old... The view over the ocean and sitting on the balcony eating the amazing buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, is reminiscent of times from the colonial era. Watching the crow man with his sling shot scaring of the crows was fascinating enough. I actually booked in the Queen Elizabeth suite, which still has the same furniture and amazing HUGE sitting room, but sadly its a little uncomfortable by modern standards, and at the hotel urging they happily upgraded me and my family to a modern suite with AC, spa and glimpses of the ocean. We traveled for a month and the hotel, kindly let use leave our excess baggage at the hotel for our return, and when we walked in their welcome us by name... so impressed. Colombo didn't strike me as a particularly interesting place but I wouldn't of miss the Galle Face Hotel for the world!

Room Tip: For an experience of old world go visit the Queen's suite if its available to look at