“Agoda has little chance of my business again.”

Galle Face Hotel Colombo
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I really should have gone on to Trip Advisor before booking a hotel as I normally do. however having stayed here a number of times over the past 20 years I thought I knew the place well.
What a surprise however to find two thirds of the hotel closed for a rebuild! No mention of it on the Agoda page I went on to book so I think they will be very fortunate if I use them again!!
Had I gone onto the Trip Advisor page first then I would not have had such a surprise as many staying here recently mentioned the rebuilding programme.
As for the hotel, well what is left of it hasn't changed yet, Still the old Colonial style and the staff and amenities are as good as they always were the breakfast spread is very sufficient. and the swimming pool is great as is the gym. I nearly always have dinner in town and have discovered a great place that i cover elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing, the new built will be great I am sure
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank waldmeister1

Reviewed 16 July 2014

After an 11 hour flight from LHR it was good to be greeted by friendly staff offering a warm towel and a cool drink. We had a lovely, light, airy room in old colonial style, with everything we could have wanted. Meals in the well-appointed dining room were of a very high standard, with impeccable service. All staff were most helpful. On our return to Colombo after a tour of the island we again stayed at the Galle Face and, once again, were bewitched by its' many charms. This time we were upgraded to a suite, possibly in recognition that the holiday was to celebrate our 40th Wedding anniversary later in the year! There is a calmness and a serenity about this hotel, despite renovation work going on. And location couldn't be better. All in all, a place we would love to return to.

Room Tip: We had room 2019 with two balconies facing the ocean. Superb!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights ...Staff is pleasant and cheerfull. Hotel is moderately priced compared to other hotels in vicinity. I got a good room which was sea facing ...Hotel has sea facing bar which is quite great ...Half of hotel is under renovation and other half which is open is old ..Breakfast is good , hotel has cigar and wine collection which is decent and location is simply superb

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel is undergoing major renovation. However they have managed to restore part of the rooms and restaurant. Beautiful view of the sea. Had dinner by the pool . Breakfast had the usual spread . They serve fresh juices which are made after you order. Service is good. Tables are set beautifully with all the fine crockery and cutlery. Has an old world charm. If you are fond of the 5 star ambience this is not for you. For those who enjoy history go up to their library, take a picture with Prince Philips car and enjoy strolling around seeing pictures of important guests who have stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bbhesania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a Grand Hotel, in much need of renovation to bring it back to it's former glory. Admittedly, that's exactly what they are currently doing. And the price for the room is an indication of this. Service is wonderful, with the best freshly made blueberry pancakes. Had to go back for a second plate! The pool was big, and chairs easy to get. Food and drinks by the pool were great, with plenty of helpful staff. The rooms was a little dated, and the bathroom had an issue with water flowing off the back edge of the bath onto the floor. Just bad design. With 3pax in a room, the roll away bed was the worst in Sri Lanka. Uncomfortable! You should have to sleep with a spring in your back. As for the location, great. Nice pub out the front, and adjacent to Galle Face Promenade for those evening walks along the waters edge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the renovation work.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with finding our Hotel under renovation.
Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for restoration; and I hope you can visit us again and see the changes.

I have noted your comment regarding the extra beds, and we are in the process of replacing them.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. The food was excellent both at breakfast and dinner. The rooms are good but looking a little tired. The air cond was cold no matter what level we put it on. Great shower and bathroom amenities. Good wifi - we found it fast and reliable. The pool is good but nothing spectacular. It was nice sitting there watching the seas crashing on to the rocks. The library is interesting and we loved reading the signs on the walls as to who had stayed there, also the old car was interesting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I arrived for my ocean view room and found I was upgraded to an ocean view suite - what a great surprise.

The view from my room was amazing and I was able to listen to the surf all day and night. The food was tasty and the hotel staff was very attentive. The pool is quite large for a hotel.

It's a hotel I will definitely return to on my next visit to Colombo.

There is some renovation going on but it did not affect my stay in the least.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo