“Nice hotel”

Galle Face Hotel Colombo
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel for two nights in November and it was lovely. The sunsets were magical! Shame that they were doing construction work at the hotel during our stay but we will be back when it is completed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice and pleasant classic room. The garden and the swimming pool area are perfect to a rest after visiting the busy Colombo. It is a pity there were making construction works at the street and the hotel at the time we were. We have our breakfast in the room and it was very nice and enough, it was cheaper than the buffet.

2  Thank Beatriz L
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel only for one night, and unfortunately even though they told us we were upgraded, our room was just next to the reception, with the view from our room on the parking lot and the room was just under the stairs, which made the room very noisy. It was very unfortunate as I have read some of the rooms have very nice ocean views. So, make sure you don't get the room just on the left side of the reception. Besides this, the hotel is very nice, very close to the ocean and the breakfast buffet was very delicious.

1  Thank manu842013
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.
It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with the room allocated to you.
We are more than happy to welcome you back once our restoration project is completed by December this year, you will have the opportunity to experience our new rooms.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The room was tired with limited outlook although they said partial view. The bed was hard and the room was tired, old fashioned box TV . Shower head only was the only new feature !! The rotted wood and broken safety window bar broken and a very small room . I would only return when renovations were complete.

• Stayed: August 2014

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with finding our Hotel under renovation.
Indeed, several areas of our Hotel are currently closed for restoration; and this has been communicated to our travel agents and corporate accounts. A notice has been posted in the Hotel’s website for the general public.

Yours sincerely,

Carlos Sanchez Vizan
Director of Operations

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at The Galle Face Hotel for business purposes because the rate was on special price since majority of the hotel was undergoing a facelift. It is an old building, one that dates back to the 1800s even. Perhaps it was because I've been given a connecting room which is why I could hear all sorts of noise coming from the adjoining room. I could even hear zippers zipping open and shut. Service is good, yet a little bit impersonal with the exception of one particular staff from their bag drop counter who went to great lengths to add that extra 'oomph' to my stay. On my last day after having checked out and awaiting my airport transfer, I returned to the hotel to collect my bags after a day of full-on meetings. Perhaps the look on my face gave it away but the gentleman, understanding I have already checked out that very morning, led me to the spa toilets to shower and change into a fresh set of clothes. It is a pity that I did not manage to get his name.

Oh and be careful when checking out by making sure you go through your bill because the hotel restaurant charged me for breakfast I had never eaten. The original receipt even had my forged signature and room number written on it.

Room Tip: Say no to connecting rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank sandybottom86
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I only stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. I was upgraded to an Ocean spa suite, which had a great view of the beach. The room was really large. Breakfast was also very good. However, I can imagine that the breakfast room, which has a bit of a gloomy feel, can get very crowded during the busy season. The view onto the garden is beautiful. I have not used any of the restaurants and can therefore not comment on their quality. The hotel’s airport transfer service seems overpriced. On the way to the hotel, I used a service from one of the booths at the airport and paid 3,900 LKR ($30). On my return I used the hotel service and paid 6,500 LKR ($50). The staff at the reception were friendly but did not seem to be fully “switched on”. Although I had pointed out at check-in that I had a tax exemption letter, they still wanted to charge me the full amount. However, I must admit that they rectified the bill after I pointed out the mistake. There’s a lot of construction in the hotel’s driveway and along the main street, which can make it difficult to walk or even reach the hotel at night, when the road is blocked off. I would certainly stay at the Galle Face again, provided the price is right.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are large but also pricey
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked an ocean view suite and were impressed by the magnificent bathroom with the best shower we had ever experienced. Thoughtful amenities including a large tea pot and fine bone china tea cups and a great range of pillows. Lack lustre furnishings and bare timber floors in keeping with the age of the hotel and its long history could be improved significantly with some large rugs. We found the noise of the ocean and the noise of the guests upstairs disruptive but were sad to leave the wonderful staff with the excellent service that we received. A special thank you for the lovely birthday cake.

Room Tip: i wouldn't bother with the ocean front rooms as the windows don't seal out the noise of the...