“Excellent for the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sunshine

Hotel Sunshine
Ranked #79 of 134 Colombo B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent for the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Great hotel for the price. The room we had was clean, had hot water, large balcony and nice wooden doors and windows giving the room character. The location was a short walk to shopping areas and some reasonable resturants. I've stayed in many large cities in South Asia and this hotel was by far the best for the price. A refreshing change for crap you get in India for the same price.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orwellwasright
Asitha L, General Manager at Hotel Sunshine, responded to this review, 8 August 2013

We very much appreciate your kind feedback on our location, rooms and of course the facilities .we look forward to welcome you back to yet another memorable stay and a further indulgence in our Sunshine hospitality.

Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Fantastic value for money, friendly helpful staff and really tasty food (not included) I had my first string hoppers and curry here for breakfast and they were delicious! This is a great budget/basic find in Colombo. Definitely recommend

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hotel sunshine Colombo and especially your recommendation. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us and that you were not disappointed. We very much appreciate your kind feedback on our location, rooms and the staff. look forward to welcome you back to..our hotel again and again.

Best regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I must admit I usually go for more salubrious establishments but a delayed flight and no room for me at my usual places meant in the early hours of the morning I was faced with the horrible prospect of finding a bed for a few hours kip. Sunshine Hotel was a god send!

The service was SUPERB and I think far better than many of the top hotels which could learn a few things. - Its got Free WI FI!!!

Firstly they seem to be open 24/7 or with porter so I could check in immediately and none of the usual wrangles you go through which seems the norm for sri lankan hotels. They appreciated that I just wanted to sleep in an AC room with clean facilities. And within a few minutes I was in my room.

The room I got I think was one of their deluxe ones, and had the usual basic facilities and of course AC. Nothing fancy its just exactly what they say on the tin.

LOCATION
Its just off Galle Road, reasonable quiet when I stayed and about 5 min walk to Majestic shops (great place to buy DVD' for about £1 but get them to check them before you buy!) Its about 10 min tuk tuk from main areas e.g. Cinnamon Grand etc.
They also seem to operate a AC bus for transport to and from airport

HOTEL & FACILITIES
I would say similar to a guesthouse in UK. They have a nice front entry area its small but cosy where you can sit and chat with other guests or staff or just sit and chill and do your own thing. Its open aired from my memory but felt quite cool and pleasant.

I know I said this before but they have FREE wifi - how is that for amazing! EVERY single other hotel I have been to charged me.

Didn't have breakfast - so no idea

Hotel doesn't seem to have things like swimming pool which is why it reminds me of a UK guesthouse.

Good spoken English too.

ROOM
As I said I think my room was a deluxe version. Nothing Fancy, but clean and in good condition. Good Budget accommodation! They also serve food it seems 24/7 which is unusual in a small place like this.

SERVICE
Fantastic and its the real charm of this hotel. Friendly and I felt very safe as a single female. The owners live on site so you get the feeling they very much take service very seriously.

So in a nutshell, its good cheap budget accommodation. Nothing fancy and seems to cater to business tourists ( I saw a lot of business tourists from India etc, plus backpackers) that are only staying 1-2 days as a stopover. It may not be my usual choice of a posh Boutique hotel that I usually stay in, but it has a certain charm with good service that make this a superb and very cheap place to crash.

BTW I read other peoples comments some of which I think was a bit unfair - its cheap its basic and great staff. If you want a Holiday Inn hotel then try the other 4-5 star hotels and you will have to pay for it.

Room Tip: Cant rem the room number but ask for the good deluxe rooms with ac it was up the stairs
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jedisam
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I have stayed in this hotel few times. Very polite & helpful staff. Good AC system Excellent location. May. be just a couple of minutes walk to the beach & all the necessary shops & Banks are nearby. Ideal for business stays. Good value for money. I will stay there again
Brian (UK)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank manuk
Bourg Saint Maurice, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

As most previous write ups indicate the Sunshine can be considered an 'average hotel', however it is excellent value for money and well run. Any hotel which accepts 2 adults and 1 teenager at 5:00am in the morning (without pre-telephoning or reservation) is good in my book. We were given a room with fan for 1750 rps. The 2nd night we 'upgraded' to a 2250 rps room (previous room booked) - they are very busy a lot of the time.
If you've done some previous budget travelling in Asia you will be very pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a nice entance area and manned reception. There is a small sitting / breakfast area on the first floor. Good bakery shop very near by, the hotel serves tea etc.
The owner is present much of the time and is very nice and obviously concerned that his guests are comfortable and staff attentive. The hotel is kept clean.
Public buses to all Colombo locations from the main Rd. 60 mts away. Small charge for WiFi connection. Note: there is a FREE bus service from Colombo airport to the nearby bus stand (10 min ride).
Just turn immediately left as you come out of arrivals you will see a bus stop sign and yellow markings on the road. This helps you avoid the taxi and tuk tuk airport rip offs. From this bus stand you can get to the main Colombo (pettah) bus stand 60 > 100 rps any time day or night. Happy travels....

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank R0bD0b
Panjim, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel is tatty but clean and comfortable.
For Colombo its prices are amazingly cheap.
Its only a 10minute ride in a tuk tuk to Fort area.
It`s only a 5 minute walk from the outlet clothing store Fashion House and also Majestic City mall.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank msj5
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed here for two nights in late December 2011, and found it to be ideal in terms of location, but nothing special. The staff were friendly and helpful, but the state of rooms wasn't great - the room didn't smell very good and we saw a few cockroaches. I would probably stay there again though for the location and the price. As other reviews have said, it is pretty noisy!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends