“Great budget Option”

Ranked #86 of 148 Colombo B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Great budget Option”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Budget accom in colombo is tough, but I think this may be the answer, rooms average at about 2750rps, but i got mine for 2000rps! Room 107, room was clean, but could do with a bit of a touch up..advertised as cold water only, but o my second night i had the hotest shower i have had in weeks!! wifi 300rps per day. Location is good, supermarket 2 min walk away! 300rps tuk tuk to bus station in fort.
Plenty of budget southern Indian restaraunts located nearby, as well as chinese,thai etc.
All in all. If staying in Colombo on a budget, you could do a lot worse than here!!

Room Tip: room 107, was fine, no issues or concerns at all!
Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike B
Asitha L, General Manager at Hotel Sunshine, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for stay at the hotel sunshine Colombo 4 and taking time to share your feedback.we sincerely apologize for the servere inconvenience experienced by you during your stay with us.The problem you encountered is not in keeping with the high standard that we try to do our best at all times.how ever ,I would request you personally to give us another chance to make these thing up to the standard.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2013

This place was perfect for us. We stayed in Room 101, a simple fan room, and a great value at US $15. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was very clean. It was nice and quiet when we were there. This hotel is located in Bambalapitiya, which is three train stops south of the Fort railway station. The train is very easy and inexpensive to use, but not during the rush hours when the trains are loaded to capacity. From the railway station, you walk about 6 or 7 blocks south along the water to Shrubbery Gardens Road. A tuktuk hired from the front of the hotel can take you to the Fort, or better yet, the Fort bus station for the airport bus, for just 300 Sri Lankan rupees, and then the AC minibus bus directly to the airport costs just 150 each. It took us about 2 hours from the hotel to the airport, but we allowed 3 hours to be on the safe side. Another nice thing about this place is its proximity to delicious South Indian vegetarian food. The Saraswathie across the street on Galle was our favorite, and its open from 6:30 AM to 10 at night. Plus, Hotel Sunshine is just a few blocks away from House of Fashions, an outlet for the Sri Lankan garment industry where you can spend quite a bit of time sorting through the racks - no try on rooms, you can return for exchange only. Most important, the staff is friendly. The entrance and lobby has a boutique stylishness that surprised me in this price range. There was some noise coming through the airwell in the bathroom, but we just kept the door shut. There is no top sheet provided, you could try requesting one, we bring our own. There were a couple of mosquitos, but not bad, just to be aware in case you are really sensitive. The wifi costs 300 rupees extra, but it wasn't working on the day we were there. Anyways, we were really happy to stay here and everything was great.
Thanks, Hotel Sunshine!

Room Tip: room 101 was really nice if you like a good value fan room with cold water.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dustydiva
Asitha L, General Manager at Hotel Sunshine, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for staying at hotel sunshineColombo and especially your recommendation.
We very much appreciate your kind feedback on our location, rooms and our staff we look forward to welcome you back should you visit srilanka again.

Best regards.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I'm not sure how things work in this place, but the bathroom had broken windows (two of those), which meant I had to ask for two towels and tie them up to cover the windows. Everything in the bathroom would have been visible from the local arrack bar nearby. Oh, yes. If you open the window in the room, you get a view of people drinking arrack and staring back at you. If not for this crap, I could have given this place one more star.

There was a pipe which was connecting the room with the toilet (it opens in both ends, and I'm not sure why. This is perhaps for the mosquitoes to come into the bathroom and then directly into the room.

Very basic room without TV or any kind of contemporary equipment, whatsoever. Two very dim bulbs provided to strain the eyes, and to compensate for sunlight never entering the room through the day.

The door lock was on the verge of breaking apart.

Stained linens await you on the bed, and there was a thin blanket (stained) to protect you from cold, if any.

Fresh air hasn't seen the room in weeks until the door was opened up for us.

There's a charge for using wifi. Not even a bottle of water was provided.

The 'manager' in the reception wasn't looking too happy to even receive us. We were told that there was just this one room available and we were allotted that room. When we were discussing the rates and so on, a Chinese couple arrived and enquired if there are any rooms, and they told that several rooms are available and a 'bell boy' was sent with them to show the rooms. I'm not sure where were these rooms hiding when we asked for the same.

A complete dump of a hotel, run by people with crap attitude.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank W-Clyde
Asitha L, General Manager at Hotel Sunshine, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for stay at the hotel sunshine Colombo 4 and taking time to share your feedback.we sincerely apologize for the servere inconvenience experienced by you during your stay with us.The problem you encountered is not in keeping with the high standard that we try to portray at all times.how ever ,I would request you personally to give us another chance to truly experience the grand indulgence of hotel sunshine.

Best regards

Travellers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Great hotel for the price. The room we had was clean, had hot water, large balcony and nice wooden doors and windows giving the room character. The location was a short walk to shopping areas and some reasonable resturants. I've stayed in many large cities in South Asia and this hotel was by far the best for the price. A refreshing change for crap you get in India for the same price.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orwellwasright

We very much appreciate your kind feedback on our location, rooms and of course the facilities .we look forward to welcome you back to yet another memorable stay and a further indulgence in our Sunshine hospitality.

Best regards.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Fantastic value for money, friendly helpful staff and really tasty food (not included) I had my first string hoppers and curry here for breakfast and they were delicious! This is a great budget/basic find in Colombo. Definitely recommend

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hotel sunshine Colombo and especially your recommendation. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us and that you were not disappointed. We very much appreciate your kind feedback on our location, rooms and the staff. look forward to welcome you back to..our hotel again and again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I must admit I usually go for more salubrious establishments but a delayed flight and no room for me at my usual places meant in the early hours of the morning I was faced with the horrible prospect of finding a bed for a few hours kip. Sunshine Hotel was a god send!

The service was SUPERB and I think far better than many of the top hotels which could learn a few things. - Its got Free WI FI!!!

Firstly they seem to be open 24/7 or with porter so I could check in immediately and none of the usual wrangles you go through which seems the norm for sri lankan hotels. They appreciated that I just wanted to sleep in an AC room with clean facilities. And within a few minutes I was in my room.

The room I got I think was one of their deluxe ones, and had the usual basic facilities and of course AC. Nothing fancy its just exactly what they say on the tin.

LOCATION
Its just off Galle Road, reasonable quiet when I stayed and about 5 min walk to Majestic shops (great place to buy DVD' for about £1 but get them to check them before you buy!) Its about 10 min tuk tuk from main areas e.g. Cinnamon Grand etc.
They also seem to operate a AC bus for transport to and from airport

HOTEL & FACILITIES
I would say similar to a guesthouse in UK. They have a nice front entry area its small but cosy where you can sit and chat with other guests or staff or just sit and chill and do your own thing. Its open aired from my memory but felt quite cool and pleasant.

I know I said this before but they have FREE wifi - how is that for amazing! EVERY single other hotel I have been to charged me.

Didn't have breakfast - so no idea

Hotel doesn't seem to have things like swimming pool which is why it reminds me of a UK guesthouse.

Good spoken English too.

ROOM
As I said I think my room was a deluxe version. Nothing Fancy, but clean and in good condition. Good Budget accommodation! They also serve food it seems 24/7 which is unusual in a small place like this.

SERVICE
Fantastic and its the real charm of this hotel. Friendly and I felt very safe as a single female. The owners live on site so you get the feeling they very much take service very seriously.

So in a nutshell, its good cheap budget accommodation. Nothing fancy and seems to cater to business tourists ( I saw a lot of business tourists from India etc, plus backpackers) that are only staying 1-2 days as a stopover. It may not be my usual choice of a posh Boutique hotel that I usually stay in, but it has a certain charm with good service that make this a superb and very cheap place to crash.

BTW I read other peoples comments some of which I think was a bit unfair - its cheap its basic and great staff. If you want a Holiday Inn hotel then try the other 4-5 star hotels and you will have to pay for it.

Room Tip: Cant rem the room number but ask for the good deluxe rooms with ac it was up the stairs
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jedisam
uk
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I have stayed in this hotel few times. Very polite & helpful staff. Good AC system Excellent location. May. be just a couple of minutes walk to the beach & all the necessary shops & Banks are nearby. Ideal for business stays. Good value for money. I will stay there again
Brian (UK)