“Quiet luxury small hotel 15 mins outside Colombo”
Review of D Villas

D Villas
Ranked #80 of 156 Colombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2013

What a great way to end our stay in Sri Lanka. Indra welcomed us with cool coconut water and within 5 mins we were swimming and nibbling amazing club sandwiches (1500 rupees but one fed 2 people). The rooms are clean, cool, stylish and beds comfortable and big. The Sri Lankan string hoppers the best we have tasted so far.

We would recommend this place. Pricey but worth the splurge if you can afford it.

Tuktuk to Fort (central town) is around 400 rupees and takes 15 mins.

Room Tip: Do not pay more than 500 rupees from the train station.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon M
David D, Owner at D Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at D Villas. This is a short note to let you know that we very much appreciate you leaving a review about your experience at D Villas and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Best regards,
David

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed in D Villas end of August/beg of September for 3 nights. Loved the house, the rooms and overall decor and esp the friendly staff. It was very clean and comfortable, has a rooftop pool and jaccuzzi. Our rate included breakfast every day (if you do the sri lankan breakfast you have to order day prior) which you can have any time of the day. It's a decent size breakfast and a great start to your day...recommend having it on the rooftop on the veranda facing out over the neighbourhood). Indra and his staff there really make the place. I didn't hv my room cleaned every day but they did ask and I said no...really...it's more like staying at a friend's home rather than a hotel where everything is done automatically. You just make yourself at home and if you want anything just ask...they are more than happy to comply and do so with a smile. So if you want your room cleaned and sheets changed every day...do let them know. Key to enjoying your stay here is to let the staff know what you want and communicate it to them and for sure you will get the 5 star treatment you are expecting. I didn't want or need my room cleaned every single day, I'm a clean person and I dont' believe in waste and I like to conserve (they ask this of you in 5 star hotels too and I do the same there). Whenever I needed anything though, like towel refreshment, all I had to do was call and it was done immediately. It's almost like they don't do stuff you are expecting them to do at 5 star hotels, not b/c they are lazy, but b/c they don't want to encroach on your space and privacy. Other than breakfast I only had one meal there and yes it is comparatively priced to 5 star hotel prices but I have found this seems to be the norm with boutique hotels (I had the same experience at other top rated (on Tripadvisor) boutique hotels I stayed at in Colombo) but I do also take into consideration that you are in the burbs and the convenience factor and for this and the quality of the food and service, I was ok to pay the price. Location...yes be aware that you will be further out (in fact more suburban area) of Colombo city so if you really want to be in the thick of things and walking distance to everything (really usually too hot to walk anywhere even at short distances) do not stay here! Personally I much preferred it b/c I felt it was more of an authentic Sri Lankan experience to be ensconed in the heart of real Sri Lankan homes. Taxis/tuk tuks did not take long to arrive after the staff called them and when they did come they were always the metered kind. Taxi from D Villas to Dutch Hospital (nice restaurants there though considered pricey by local standards) near World Trade Centre can range anywhere from 5 to 8 USD (depending on how honest your driver is...even on a metered taxi they can still get you by taking you the long way!). So to sum it all up...even with the cost of taxis factored in...it still worked out way cheaper to stay at D Villas where a full breakfast was included, free wifi (they charge you big time in the 5 star hotels) and you got personalised service (if you communicate with the staff) and they called metered taxis/tuk tuks and not try and push their overpriced hotel cars/taxis onto you...for these reasons but especially value for your money and for the awesome service and friendliness of the staff...I would stay here again anyday over the 5star hotels in the heart of Colombo. I have stayed at Cinnamon Grand before and admit I did enjoy it...however my wallet for sure felt so much lighter after departure and I really liked the personal service, peace and quiet "my house is your house" vibe at D Villas. They did have a kitchen there too btw if you wanted to cook. Coming here to and from the airport...I paid 3000 LKR (2600 LKR plus tip 400 LKR) which is aprox USD23 which I thought was fair but I did have to bargain for it!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NiueanAbroad
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hotel is small and boutique, essentially built in a suburb of Colombo. It is 20 mins from anywhere and is quite painful getting around. I would have preferred to stay closer downtown at the Hilton, Cinnamon Grand or the Colombo City Hotel. The house boys really have no clue what they are doing, they are street kids playing in a 5 star hotel. Whiel the pool was nice and they were accomodating for a late chcekout, I just think the location kills this for me. The jazuzzi int he room leaks everywhere and there is no other shower etc. All around, great idea, just failed on the execution.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fair123
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed at D Villas 2-4 February and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.! Its what you make of it, it is a little out of the way from the hussle and bussle but thats what I was looking for. The staff were lovely very attentive and the food was really good. I had Sri Lankan breakfast each morning which was fantastic. The chef was more than happy to cook food just how you wanted it. The room was clean and bright (royal suite 2) however they didnt clean it during my stay this was a slight dissapointment. If I had any negative comments they were very slight. D Villas was over priced for location and local amentities. In comparison to Cinnamon Grand (Comombo which I visited after) Food was very expensive at D Villas but worth it for the effort they made. I loved the decor, set up, staff and ambience of D Villas. I would not hesitate in recommending or re-visiting again. Loved it. Might be an idea to invest in a bell on the roof terrace to get the attention of the staff during quiet times as on few occasions it felt like quite a while before they realised guests were up on the terrace. (the staff were downstairs). Another thing which I liked about D Villas was that didnt insist in taking your money the moment you arrived and didnt take upfront incidentals like that of the Cinnamon Grand. Visit D Villas " Im sure you'll love the experience"

Room Tip: royal suite 2 was great
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank pauline1967
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Upon arrival guests are given a coconut milk drink and warm towel which is a nice touch. The owner, David, lives in London and is constantly on the phone to staff sorting things out - it's very Fawlty Towers. He prides himself on providing a 5***** experience and,while the rooms are nicely appointed (but in need of a good clean and paint job) the service is abysmal.

Generally DVillas is nice with a lovely swimming pool on the top floor but the guest rooms are small and are now starting to look a bit tired (it could do with a lick of paint). The bathrooms are good although I had to leave my room to go to the bathroom. My room was on the ground floor and adjacent to the lobby which was weird. It was also very dark in the room and the staffs accommodation was adjacent to it so I could not have any privacy or open the blinds because they would be walking past the window all the time. I mentioned this and was shown another room on another floor but the morning sun would stream into the room at sunrise (due to the inadequate blinds on the windows).

The house boys are nice and friendly but the rooms are not cleaned very well. Throughout my 3 night stay the sheets were not changed and I noticed on the first day that my robe in the closet had a stain on it, so I wonder whether that was just placed in the wardrobe after the previous guest had used it? Also, the floor of my room was not just dirty, it was filthy. I had asked for the floor to be washed one day but that did not happen. The floor was so dirty that I reverted to washing my feet every night before going to bed.

I don't like to complain and have left other recommendations on TA but, as I have mentioned the matter of general cleanliness to the staff I do not have any hesitation in making mention of it on TA. If you are paying for a clean room that's what you expect.

The food was fine, but you are kind of compelled to eat there because its a bit of a drive to anywhere else decent. DVillas is a 20 minute tuk tuk ride from most places so factor those additional costs into your itinerary. There is a service charge on the food menu but you are also charged an additional FOOD service charge when you get your bill. I found this extraordinary!

Overall DVillas looks nice on the internet and has good potential, as I say, the rooms are nice but they are not clean and the main point of contact is living overseas for goodness sake! There is one older man, the driver and general Maitre'd who is very helpful but that poor guy is run off his feet with drop-offs to the airport, trying to keep the customers happy and being the middleman. As I wrote - very Fawlty Towers if you are paying that kind of money.

Room Tip: Ground floor standard is dark but upstairs is ridiculously light.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Nice little beautiful bungalow in the city with 6 tastefully decorated rooms. The architectural design and the overall ambience is excellent. The location is not that great but you don't feel that much about the location once you are in it since the bungalow makes you feel more like a home and the quiteness of the location is appealing to the traveller. There is a stunning roof-top pool at the terrace with a Jacuzzi and a bar to relax in the evening with a drink and have your meals too by the pool.The staff are very courteous and since the number of rooms are less, you get a personalized service unlike the bigger commercial hotels.

Now here comes the thorn in the bag of roses. The place was short of staff even though they were nice and courteous.The management was not very professional as there is no one at the hotel to manage (like a manager at a hotel). It gives you too much of a homely feel sometimes which is a bit unpleasant with regard to the other facilities that you would expect normally from a hotel "at this price". We spoke to David,the owner of the property,for our booking over the phone from India and he sounded very hospitable on the phone and organized things pretty well over the phone for us and also followed-up later after we reached. But when we reached there we got the information that he was not at the hotel and was actually attending all our hotel calls sitting in UK. That was still ok with us but the annoying factor was that there was no one like a manager at the hotel in his absence. He was mysteriously running the show from outside the hotel. For everything the staff would speak to him and there was no one in his absence who could handle or take decision on certain specific needs or queries of the guests which is slightly annoying for the guests because when you are at the hotel you expect someone to show up and not do everything on the phone at the hotel. There was only one person named Inderjeet (who spoke English) who was actually the driver and also took care of all the other needs like getting our bills arranged and drinks and who also used to attend the calls at the reception table for any house keeping requirements.He was a very nice person and did his duty with no complaints but was completely over-loaded with work so even though it was not his fault or intention, the service was below the standard. We informed to give us a wake up call twice but never got on both the occasions.The taxi came 1 and half hours after we had confirmed to them to arrange for us.The drinks and our dinner came very late too.The room was not cleaned even though we had left a card to clean up the room. Later when they cleaned the room,the bedsheets were not changed.Had there been more staff or may be a manager present at the hotel, things could have been handled better and more efficiently.

Overall, we felt that it was not worth paying this price for this accomodation considering how it is managed at present.We would have got a much better professional service at this price at any of the other 5 star Rated properties.I would not recommend this hotel to my friends unless Mr. Invisible David decides to stay back at the hotel to take care of the guests or appoint someone as efficient to do the same at the property.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Arvindbabel
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Great place for those who want something more than what the usual 5 star business hotels in Colombo offer. Excellent room, very comfortable and first rate personal service. Highly recommended for anybody who is looking for a place in Colombo. Excellent value for money. Traveller Tip: Book early!

• Stayed: December 2011