“Great stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 128 Colombo B&B and Inns
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We have stayed for 4 nights in the royal suite with jacuzzi and me & my sister enjoyed it from beginning till the end.The staff is very friendly & helpfully with all kind of things. Even my last day before traveling was not feeling well and they took good care of the special questions with we had. The breakfast was amazing & very fresh with juice, toast,eggs,bacon,sausage,fruit,croissant ect and that every single day on the time which you required. We where there for business & pleasure so we needed everyday transport which we had from Mohammad the three wheel driver ( tuk tuk driver) which was very honest & his tuk tuk by meter ( 0094(0)755387383), knows whole Colombo.
For sure when we come back next time we will stay again in this place & hire Mohammad which made the total trip amazing!

Room Tip: In our room was not separate shower all in the jacuzzi bath tub
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 123Trudy
David D, Owner at D Villas, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Trudy,
Thank you for staying with us at D Villas. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our services and you and your sister was well taken care of by our staff. We look forward to seeing you soon.
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I only had one night at "DVillas" but I will be back. What a find! The welcome (cold towel and chilled King Coconut), the comfortable and clean room (Royal Suite 3) and the rooftop facilities (that pool) were wonderful! The staff were friendly and attentive. The breakfast was hearty and fresh. I would recommend this place to solo travellers (although it's not a budget hotel), couples and business people. The free WiFi from the room and poolside was an added bonus.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank FiascoLoves2Travel
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us at D Villas and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the facilities and the service we offer overall. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Best regards, David
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

We had a great experience staying at D Villas, it was a lovely little oasis in the chaos of Colombo. What made this a memorable stay was the fact that the staff were warm and very accommodating. The breakfasts were lovely, particularly the fresh fruit and juice and the rooms were incredibly spacious, spotlessly clean and comfortable. A great way to unwind after a day of exploring in Colombo. We can't speak highly enough of the staff and would recommend it.

Catherine & Zara (Sydney).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ZLS84
David D, Owner at D Villas, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your stay with us at D Villas. It is very satisfying to hear that your stay at D Villas was enjoyable and you were well taken care of by the staff. Thank you very much for your time in leaving a review. We look forward to seeing you soon again at D Villas.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Charming, small, boutique Hotel in a quiet backstreet about 5 Kilometers from the centre of Colombo.

Upon arrival we were delivered 2 fresh coconut juices at 2:00 AM.

The staff were helpful, eager and young and they would do anything for you - for example, we had to leave at 3:00 AM and the staff were awake and came to say goodbye.

Breakfast on the rooftop was delicious.

The rooms were spacious and clean and it was very relaxing to have the rooftop swimming pool.

Would highly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kmcpdavis
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at D Villas. I appreciate very much you taking the time to leave a review. It is very pleasing and satisfying to hear that our services overall was great.
We look forward to seeing you soon at D villas.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

What a great way to end our stay in Sri Lanka. Indra welcomed us with cool coconut water and within 5 mins we were swimming and nibbling amazing club sandwiches (1500 rupees but one fed 2 people). The rooms are clean, cool, stylish and beds comfortable and big. The Sri Lankan string hoppers the best we have tasted so far.

We would recommend this place. Pricey but worth the splurge if you can afford it.

Tuktuk to Fort (central town) is around 400 rupees and takes 15 mins.

Room Tip: Do not pay more than 500 rupees from the train station.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon M
David D, Owner at D Villas, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at D Villas. This is a short note to let you know that we very much appreciate you leaving a review about your experience at D Villas and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Male
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed in D Villas end of August/beg of September for 3 nights. Loved the house, the rooms and overall decor and esp the friendly staff. It was very clean and comfortable, has a rooftop pool and jaccuzzi. Our rate included breakfast every day (if you do the sri lankan breakfast you have to order day prior) which you can have any time of the day. It's a decent size breakfast and a great start to your day...recommend having it on the rooftop on the veranda facing out over the neighbourhood). Indra and his staff there really make the place. I didn't hv my room cleaned every day but they did ask and I said no...really...it's more like staying at a friend's home rather than a hotel where everything is done automatically. You just make yourself at home and if you want anything just ask...they are more than happy to comply and do so with a smile. So if you want your room cleaned and sheets changed every day...do let them know. Key to enjoying your stay here is to let the staff know what you want and communicate it to them and for sure you will get the 5 star treatment you are expecting. I didn't want or need my room cleaned every single day, I'm a clean person and I dont' believe in waste and I like to conserve (they ask this of you in 5 star hotels too and I do the same there). Whenever I needed anything though, like towel refreshment, all I had to do was call and it was done immediately. It's almost like they don't do stuff you are expecting them to do at 5 star hotels, not b/c they are lazy, but b/c they don't want to encroach on your space and privacy. Other than breakfast I only had one meal there and yes it is comparatively priced to 5 star hotel prices but I have found this seems to be the norm with boutique hotels (I had the same experience at other top rated (on Tripadvisor) boutique hotels I stayed at in Colombo) but I do also take into consideration that you are in the burbs and the convenience factor and for this and the quality of the food and service, I was ok to pay the price. Location...yes be aware that you will be further out (in fact more suburban area) of Colombo city so if you really want to be in the thick of things and walking distance to everything (really usually too hot to walk anywhere even at short distances) do not stay here! Personally I much preferred it b/c I felt it was more of an authentic Sri Lankan experience to be ensconed in the heart of real Sri Lankan homes. Taxis/tuk tuks did not take long to arrive after the staff called them and when they did come they were always the metered kind. Taxi from D Villas to Dutch Hospital (nice restaurants there though considered pricey by local standards) near World Trade Centre can range anywhere from 5 to 8 USD (depending on how honest your driver is...even on a metered taxi they can still get you by taking you the long way!). So to sum it all up...even with the cost of taxis factored in...it still worked out way cheaper to stay at D Villas where a full breakfast was included, free wifi (they charge you big time in the 5 star hotels) and you got personalised service (if you communicate with the staff) and they called metered taxis/tuk tuks and not try and push their overpriced hotel cars/taxis onto you...for these reasons but especially value for your money and for the awesome service and friendliness of the staff...I would stay here again anyday over the 5star hotels in the heart of Colombo. I have stayed at Cinnamon Grand before and admit I did enjoy it...however my wallet for sure felt so much lighter after departure and I really liked the personal service, peace and quiet "my house is your house" vibe at D Villas. They did have a kitchen there too btw if you wanted to cook. Coming here to and from the airport...I paid 3000 LKR (2600 LKR plus tip 400 LKR) which is aprox USD23 which I thought was fair but I did have to bargain for it!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NiueanAbroad
HK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hotel is small and boutique, essentially built in a suburb of Colombo. It is 20 mins from anywhere and is quite painful getting around. I would have preferred to stay closer downtown at the Hilton, Cinnamon Grand or the Colombo City Hotel. The house boys really have no clue what they are doing, they are street kids playing in a 5 star hotel. Whiel the pool was nice and they were accomodating for a late chcekout, I just think the location kills this for me. The jazuzzi int he room leaks everywhere and there is no other shower etc. All around, great idea, just failed on the execution.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple