“Fraud-Told my husband necklace was $90 charged card $900!!”
Review of Gem Museum

Gem Museum
Book In Advance
US$79.00*
and up
Discover Kandy -Spice Garden visit Tea Factory and Kandy city tour...
US$35.00*
and up
Discover Kandy -Spice Garden visit Tea Factory and Kandy city tour (Vehicle...
US$55.00*
Private Kandy City Tour Including Peradeniya Royal Botanical Gardens
Ranked #93 of 151 things to do in Colombo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: one could see a variety of gemstones and a huge collection of jewelleries. Gem Museum, as its name, has every collection that one could never miss admiring. Our staff would offer you a high quality service which will help you the most in selecting a precious product.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband brought what he thought was a $90.00 necklace only to find out that they had charged his card 900.00!!!!!!!!!!nHe tried to take it back and they wouldn't take it of course!! Horrible! I think they just take advantage of tourist people who perhaps are not familiar with the exchange rate. It's really sad. They should be ashamed of themselves and I am praying that they go under because you cannot do people that way.

7  Thank wandjlewisbusiness20
gmuseum, Manager at Gem Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2014

Hi,
i hope your husband was not blind to see the prices marked or even while paying through credit card, you have to sign the paper. if not the transaction is not valid.. what makes you say this stupid problem?
We are a reputed firm & we serve our precious clients with many varieties of gems and jewellery. We do not have any intention of forcing you to purchase anything. We have a wide range of products to see and we don't charge you for entry. Any person is welcome to enjoy and feel the genuine gemstones.

thank you.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

By its name, I thought I could see lots of precious pieces of collection. The 'showroom' is actually just the entrance area, they built up something like a cave, to show how they found gemstones. This part is very small that you can finish seeing within 1 mins (max!), then straight walk to the 'salesroom'! I could feel people there trying hard to sell me the stones. Hey, I didn't feel like they were trying to help me to look for a suitable and affordable piece, they were just trying to sell... Woman's sixth sense is very accurate and it told me that the feeling wasn't right...

I turned out didn't buy any from this museum/ shop cuz I was also pretty tough!

So travelers, beware of such kind of 'museum'!

4  Thank DominiqueUltee
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This shop is amazing, one of its kind. It has a mine which is a demonstration. I believe it's a worthy visit.

2  Thank Laauran
Reviewed 28 September 2012

This is not actually a museum.this is place where you can see gems and learn bit about them.where come from,how,when,what is good etc....
Some one has mentioned here saying “Tourguide heaven” well I'm also a guide but I don't agree with that comment however my advice is use your brain.
If you use license guide they never push into those hardly.it's entirely up to guest decide. you can refuse and go no harm. BUT MY ADVICE IS USE YOUR BRAIN IF YOU ARE uncomfortable with the situation.

1  Thank ruwan19
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I went here with my colleague who purchased huge quantities of gems from here. I was just fascinated by what I saw though I could not afford to buy anything. Also, I was a bit petrified about what stone would be right for us. However, it was a worthy visit

2  Thank Partha_Majumdar