“Very nice traditional hotel”
Review of Colombo Courtyard

Colombo Courtyard
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
istanbul
“Very nice traditional hotel”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very clean, well decorated and a good combination of modern and traditional design. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is 10 mins away from city centre. I recommend the hotel for couples, families and friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for being so thoughtful in giving your appreciation of the time spent with us.

We were touched to read your kind words towards Colombo Courtyard and to know that you highly recommend our Hotel.

Your praise and comments on the quality of service is surely one of the best compliments you could ever make to us.

I was also truly happy to read your positive feedback on the decoration and the cleanliness of our rooms as a nice reward to our continuous effort to meet our clients’ expectations.

Yes! Our location is definitely great for those who love to be in the heart of the city. It is a great honor to read that you can recommend our Hotel to anyone who would come to Colombo.

We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Chief Executive Officer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Incredible hotel! Probably one of the best we have stayed in. Beautiful decoration, amazing food, great service and incredible cocktails! Loved it, was the best! The massages were also very good and everything is very reasonably priced. Was truly amazed and highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
What an “Amazing” review you have given us!

We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for sharing your amazing experience on trip advisor. It is a great feeling to know that you have had a wonderful, relaxing and memorable experience whilst with us, that our staff was up to your expectations and that you felt it was all well worth the expense. You have encouraged us a great deal with your comments.

Yes! Amber Spa team is truly passionate about providing attentive, professional and friendly service. Kindly Know that they will be happy to hear that you made specific mention of their service.

Also we appreciate that you found both food and beverage in the Hotel to be of exceptional quality. We will pass on your compliments to our chef and Bar Manager.

Once again let me convey our heartfelt gratitude for sharing your experience and look forward to seeing you both in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was my first visit to Colombo for ten years and so the availability of this kind of boutique, ecclectic accommodation was a real surprise. On the plus side it is very cleverly designed making full use of a relatively small footprint. Our room (a suite) was beautiful, although the absence of any kind of a view was disappointing. It had some really nice touches including a Mac in the room for the internet (in addition to wifi passwords for portable devices). It is very well located, close to most sights, particularly those in the upmarket Col-7 neighbourhood. In addition the staff were generally friendly (expecially the guys at the front entrance who were more than happy to help direct our tuc-tucs around and provide discrete advice).

This is a relatively new hotel and some of their procedures seemed less than buttoned down. On a couple of occasions the room was not properly serviced. On the last day the staff seemed very keen to have the room back even though we left well before check-out time and we had an evening room tidy on two days but not on the other two. The gym only currently has two machines, although more are on the way. The hotel is also pretty noisy. It is on a very busy road and twice a week has live music in the bar which was directly above our room, although it did finish at 11pm. Most annoying, however, was the breakfast. It is the first hotel I have stayed in for a long time where breakfast is a la carte rather than a buffet. The result was that it took a long time to get through it, and we were unable to mix and match between the various menus. On most days we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee several times before any actually arrived. We booked a b&b deal but the breakfast would have been quite expensive if we had not done so.

One word of warning; we came up the main road to the hotel in a tuc tuc at about 10pm on two consecutive nights and both times were stopped by the police. On the first occasion they checked us for our passports and then tried to get us to bribe them when we did not have them. Worth carrying a passport or driving license with you if you are travelling around the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJBUPR
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Colombo Courtyard.

We are pleased that you liked the design of our hotel and hope you found it to be one-of-a-kind.

However we are disappointed that you have not had a completely satisfactory experience whilst with us.

We take both positive and negative comments as opportunities for improvement, and as such please be assured that we will take serious note of all your comments and will make every effort to improve on areas you have rightly highlighted.

We are truly sorry that you were disturbed by the functions at the Hotel, however being the season for festivities, you will no doubt understand that the functions organized during the season at times are unavoidable. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

As a matter of clarification with regard to your comment about breakfast, we would like to mention that we offer a selection of 5 types; English, Continental, Indian, Sri Lankan and Slim & Trim. The items offered at breakfast are plentiful and guests are entitled to choose their preferred choice daily.

We truly regret the negligence on our part with regard to daily turn down service by housekeeping staff. Whilst we thank you for bringing this to our attention, please be assured that we will certainly inquire into this matter and take immediate remedial action to avoid such shortcomings in the future.

Whilst apologizing once again, we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you, should you visit Sri Lanka in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

It's a nice hotel with nice facilities and excellent design for a small space. Rooms are big and spacious, our room was next to reception on ground floor, we were never disturbed but had to keep blinds drawn as people walking by looked in.
Shower was lovely. Little things like a missing soap dish and no fan to unsteam bathroom to see mirror would make a difference.
Service was good, always happy to help but very slow. Each time we called for something, iron and safe locked it took more then 15 minutes to come to room.
Breakfast is ok, the service again too slow when asking for anything outside the written menu, tomato sauce, ginger tea, peanut butter all took ages to come yet none needed cooking, confused, we were.
Would recommend but not return, it's more like a 4 trying to be a five, so changes needed to get there

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
We thank you for posting your candid comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed all the facilities provided and that you liked spacious rooms which are extremely conceptualized and uniquely designed.

Colombo Courtyard with its unique concept and design is rated second to none, which is now proven by having won the prestigious Luxury Business Hotel Award for the year 2013 amongst many of the top competitors in this category, which we are extremely proud of.

However it is with great regret we read that your stay was not to your expectations. Your feedback with regard to service is valued and steps are in motion towards improvement of these training needs.

Service at Colombo Courtyard is regarded by most as being extremely high and if we have failed to provide that to you then rest assured we will make sure it will not happen again.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Colombo Courtyard in the near future, and we will find a way to make up for less than fantastic experience you had encountered.

Until such time warm regards from all of us.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I booked directly with the hotel website. They charged me before I even arrived even though they say they do not. Anyway, I had no real issue with that (but see later). I had booked 2 separate trips within the same month. So, I stayed for my first booking and the hotel was okay. The pool is TOTALLY dreadful and has no atmosphere. There was no one in it and no staff to be found. The first room I got was very cramped but lovely bathroom (as mentioned in another review I have just seen). However, the TV channels kept crashing and this was totally unacceptable. I demanded to be moved and Nishan, the CEO, was fine with that and I was moved to a much better room for the second night I was there (2 nights total) - it was an upgraded room so that was appreciated. Never ate there so cannot comment. However, what really annoyed me was they took the payment for the second booking as well but my plans changed and I asked for a refund. Rules say full refund. I paid by credit card (obviously) which is what you do on most websites. When I got my refund, they had deducted the cost of credit card commission!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU PAY BY CC, AND RULES ARE FULL REFUND, YOU EXPECT A FULL REFUND. To cut a very long story short, the accountants I was dealing with (Raveen and Lahiru) were ABSOLUTELY useless through emails and phonecalls - it was by emails because the refund only appeared after I left. I finally got Nishan involved who replied immediately and said he will look into it (which was super) except that I never heard from him again even though it seems he has all the time in the world to reply to all the reviews people post on here!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, I decided I was not going to let this go and I kept emailing them and Nishan. I finally received my balance refund 3 months later. Beware of this. This is just stealing and I would call them thieves, quite frankly. Re the hotel, it was okay. It was not bad but I have stayed in MUCH BETTER. I travel to Colombo very often and I would recommend Cinnamon Grand or The Kingsbury - Kingsbury is my favourite - refurbished old Ceylon Intercontinental. I have just seen the prices charged by Colombo Courtyard - double the price for Kingsbury and that is quite a shock. One more thing - when I checked out at 5am in the morning, the receptionist was going to charge me the difference in the exchange rate from when I booked (AND PAID) to what the rate was when I checked out. Well, he did not get away with that, I can assure you. As I said, check your bill, it is stealing.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. My simple advice. It is not 5 star at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 490SSS
Thank you for staying at Colombo Courtyard and for taking the time to review us.

We are extremely sorry to learn that you were disappointed by your experience with our Accounts Department in early August of this year. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortfalls/delays in service that you experienced.

We believe in listening to our clients whether it may be a positive or negative comment hence taking it on board as constructive criticism for consistent improvement.

We are sorry about the miscommunication on your Claim for Reimbursement of Bank Charges Incurred due to credit card transaction and regret the inconvenience caused to you as a result. However we did clearly explain all this in the emails sent to you. This is the standard policy at hotels all over the world.

In spite of the policy we reimbursed the bank charges to you with the best intensions merely as a gesture of goodwill. We will send you a direct email with more clarity on the refund issue with a scanned copy of your actual remittance from the bank, etc.

We sincerely apologize for any service lapse, and ensure there will be no such repetition and hope you will find a more pleasant and enjoyable stay in the future.

Until such time ward regards from all of us.

Chief Executive officer
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We thought the Colombo Courtyard would just be somewhere to stay while we were passing through. But it turned out to a be really beautiful hotel, with a lovely reading room.

The breakfast with a made to order local and international option was fabulous. The hotel organized our car for the weekend and tour around Colombo. Colombo Courtyard helped make a quick trip to Colombo memorable.

The only issue I had was with the internet, despite some problems, I was not able to get it to work or use their dongle. They eventually hooked me up with some desktop PCs to use.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Your kind words posted on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to Colombo Courtyard was very much appreciated.

We loved having you with us, and there is nothing more motivating than knowing that we have been successful in giving you an exceptional stay.

Your positive feedback is a very nice reward and I was more than happy to share it with all the team having contributed to the success of those moments with us.

We have noted your comments regarding Wi-Fi connectivity as well, and will make every effort to improve.

Thank you for your return visit. We sincerely hope that we may have the pleasure of having you at Colombo Courtyard over the months to come.

Until such time warm regards from all of us.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I bought a deal through Jetsetter for this hotel and it was worth every penny. I knew it would be a nice boutique property but was blown away. The property is gorgeous with enormous rooms (ours even had a private patio), two pools, a spa, a library and several appealing food outlets. The food was very good and the rooms were incredibly comfortable. I was impressed by the selection of amenities in the rooms and appreciate that Colombo Courtyard makes an effort to be an eco-friendly hotel.

What impressed me most of all about this hotel was the staff. From start to finish they went above and beyond to ensure that we had everything we needed. The complimentary water is provided in glass bottles and I didn't see the bottle opener connected to the side of the cabinet. When I asked if we could have a bottle opener, rather than just telling me where it was the woman at the front desk (Zandy, the best!) came all the way to our room to actually show me. My friend and I also asked Zandy if she knew of any Ayurvedic shops in the area and she went to the effort to research which locations would be open over the holiday weekend and printed out their names and contact information, which she personally delivered to our room.

Every element of my stay at Colombo Courtyard exceeded my expectations and I wish I could have stayed there longer!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments posted on TripAdvisor ,following your recent stay with us.

It is truly satisfying to know that your experience amongst us exceeded your expectations and thank you for recommending Colombo Courtyard! We appreciate it very much!

We are delighted that you consider that the visit was fantastic and worth every bit the experience! Also pleased that you found the rooms top notch.

You were very generous with your comments, and we very much appreciate that you found the overall staff is incredible, helpful, and very service oriented.
We have shared your positive feedback with all the team and especially Zandy from the Front Desk who was very touched that you singled her out.

Once again, we appreciate your kind words, and look forward to having the pleasure of a return visit in the not too distant future.

Until such time warm regards from all of us