“Beautiful!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Bengaluru, India
“Beautiful!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was on an urgent Business trip to Colombo but the other hotels where I had stayed before were fully booked. I looked through the TripAdvisor reviews and went ahead with the Colombo Courtyard hoping that I had made a good choice and At the end of the stay I was glad that I had indeed made a very good decision. My only regret is that I could not stay longer. This place is perfect for those private idyllic getaways. The ambience is very soothing, cosy and beautiful.

I reached around 11.30 pm at night and was very tired and really hungry. The restaurant closes around 11 pm but they were kind enough to take my order as soon as I arrived and whipped up some good food. The hotel staff ensured that the check in was smooth and I was pleasantly surprised when they gave me a free upgrade to a Suite Room. The rooms are well maintained. Sleep Quality was excellent. Overall a great experience (Solo Female Traveller). Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Colombo C, Chief Executive officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for giving us a wonderful review on your recent stay at Colombo Courtyard, which tells us we are on the right path!

I was really impressed to hear such generous comment on your soothing stay in our hotel for a short period.

Highlights of the service efficiency in both Front of House and Housekeeping staff you experienced tells me that the hard work put in by the Management Team, is paying dividends. I am sure they will be so delighted to read your response.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you will stay with us again for a longer period during your next visit to Colombo.

Chief Executive officer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Colombo courtyard was our first stop on our 3 week journey around Sri Lanka and was always going to be one of the more fancy hotels we stayed in after a long journey from Heathrow.

We arrived at 7am not realising the check in was from 3pm which was an additional $60 US charge which at the time I did not even care about paying however in hindsight is slightly annoying so if you are booking, may be worth looking into arranging an early checkin, in advance!

After the the journey however, we couldn't really have asked for more, the rooms are huge and quite luxurious with a large living room and bedroom (massive tv's, Mac, several air con units) as well as giant bathroom with shower and bath easily big enough for 2!

The location was great, we like to walk so easily able to walk everywhere although be warned the pavements through colombo are poor and if you walk at night, take a torch for when crossing roads to be seen!

The pool area was and the food was good although over priced compared to the rest of the city.

We fly out of colombo later in our trip and I will definitely look to stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Colombo C, Chief Executive officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for giving us positive comments about your recent stay at Colombo Courtyard.

I'm concerned to hear that your check in process was not up to your expectations and will follow up with my team on where we can improve when handling such kind of issues on the guests’ arrival experience.

However, pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location, extent of the room and bathroom set up, pool and the food.

Since, the pavements are re-surfaced by the local council in the area, I really apologize if you experienced any inconvenience while crossing the road at night.

Once again I thank you for the constructive comments posted on the Tripadvisor and hope to welcome you back to Colombo Courtyard in the future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Initially I was a skeptic... having read through all the reviews, I really was not sure. I think though on the plus side the "CEO" had replied objectively to all reviews :)

Booked the hotel in a rush, it was on a list of 3, but others were fully booked, and they had availability. So would check with them 1st - :)

The Bad (if you wanna call it bad):
1. Cloud Cafe Restaurant on level 3 had a great vibe with live jazz, was really nice setting too, being on the top of the building. Really nice menu - good value for money... Ordered the jumbo prawns, which were nice, however when you order "JUMBO" prawns you expect decent sized prawns, they were on the smaller side. Cocktails really nice, & Pizza yummy
2. I found the waiters to be a bit more like order takers than waiters. Not really familiar with the menu and very slow. We asked for some garlic butter and initially he said we cant have it, surely a chef could make us a bit of garlic butter. We did get in the end. :)

The Good Stuff
1. Meet & Greet - Our arrival, happy pleasant staff, looking forward to seeing us, we just wanted the juice and aircon - it was HOT in Colombo
2. Check in process - easy easy, swift, would have been nice if the aircon was already on it the bedroom.
3. We got upgraded for some reason!!!! to a suite :) talk about a nice special surprise for our last night in Colombo, thank you Colombo Courtyard
4. Room was clean and comfortable - spectacular really, worthy of the 5 stars
5. We were made to be feel special, the way it should, after all we work all year for this holiday!

The Interesting part is what really made the hotel for me was not the room, not the jumbo prawns, not the 4 poster bed, or the room upgrade, but actually the service we received on the morning of our departure...

My partner got really sick and was actually in a very serious state, I had to call the front desk and try to book and emergency doctor which they swiftly arranged, and then they went to collect the medicine etc etc, They took all of that responsibility away from me so I could care for my partner!

We knew though that check in was at 11am so I went down to front desk and spoke with a tall young man, I think he was quite high up maybe a manager or director at the hotel. He knew about the situation, and quite quickly suggested we stay until in the room until 4pm with no additional in charge and he will arrange the airport drop off! He wanted us to be as comfortable as we could be, and for this I commend the hotel for outstanding service. My partner was on the floor in our bathroom in tears at one point and I really did not think we were going to get home that day, let alone I thought we might be on the street looking for another hotel in her state.

I would recommend this hotel to every person who goes to Colombo for holiday, they really treated us well, and made us enjoy our stay. Knowing that they are flexible when in need means a whole lot to a visitor and makes for a much better trip.

Thank you Thank you 5 stars for sure.

Room Tip: Leave it in their hands
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Asierra
Thank you for taking the time to write a five star comment on your recent stay with us.

We are delighted that you had a luxurious stay with our facilities and ultimate hospitality. Heartfelt thanks to you from our entire Colombo Courtyard Team for encouraging us by such generous comments and the recommendation of us to other travelers on Tripadvisor, which we highly appreciate.

I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met in regards to F & B Service. My apologies if there was any service delay or miscommunication in relation to this. We thank you for your feedback. But I must mention that we strive for food quality to be exceptional on a daily basis. We do like to continuously seek views of our valued patrons as this is how we could improve our standards even more.

I will also surely to discuss your points with regards to Food, especially on jumbo prawns, with Chef, to ensure that quality and quantity is consistent at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Colombo Courtyard for a longer stay during your next visit to Sri Lanka.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights and had an excellent experience. The hotel staff were amazing and friendly. They were happy to assist us with a late checkout and reasonably priced airport transfer. Hotel is nicely located near all the best shopping areas in Colombo but is also near a busy road so you get some noise. Luckily the suites are very soundproof so you get a good nights sleep. There was unfortunately a lot of road works while we were there, but this is not a fault of the hotel. All food we had was very nice and service was amazing by all staff. In particular Mahesh provided fantastic service in the restaurants and bar. The suite was also kept immaculate by Sujith while we were there and he provided us with amazing service checking each day that we had everything we needed. The hotel also offered daily happy hour which was fantastic at the bars with cheap and beautiful cocktails and drinks. The pool is small but kept very clean. Only negative was the coffee - was very average in taste and they may have used tap water to make it. Otherwise a very beautiful hotel and I would happily stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your four star feedback on your recent stay at Colombo Courtyard.

I am really delighted to read such encouraging words to define my team for giving you an ultimate service and Sri Lankan hospitality throughout your stay with us. I will certainly pass this on to my team who will equally be delighted.

I will address the F & B Team with regard to your disappointment on the coffee offered and will be taking steps to rectify same in future.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit in Colombo.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My stay at this hotel was most unique - quaint, cosy with a great location. Firstly, I really adored the funky whimsical interior design - eye catching recycled tree sculpture in the lobby, natural hand carved rattan furniture, mini fountains/pools scattered throughout and an open air design. The outdoor setting comingled with the indoors. Most importantly was the friendly gracious hospitality of the staff - particularly the breakfast and 'cloud nine' servers! The food was very nicely presented, fresh and delicious! It was a combo of Indian, Asian and Western. The spa facilities were rather cramped but clean. While the manager and massage therapists were very pleasant and professional - I would rate my treatment slightly above average because I am accustomed to more upscale decadent treatments and surroundings. The room accommodation was average, the bed was small - the closet was miniscule and there were no hangers! The bathroom was nicely appointed, modern and sleek. I would consider returning however would likely request an upgraded room.

Room Tip: Upper level at the back of the hotel - because there was a major street and construction.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We thank you for sharing your opinion after your recent stay at Colombo Courtyard.

Your feedback is highly valued and we are so pleased to read that you appreciated the unique art features and the design of our property, the quality of the food and the hospitality.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the location of the hotel to be ideal for your stay and we are delighted to read that you found all the waiters and spa team friendly and professional , such feedback is greatly appreciated and I will personally pass on your kind words to all those concerned.

Our commitment is to provide our guests with the highest standard of service in the industry, thus constructive observations and your rating on Amber Spa were welcomed positively.

In response to your concern regarding a room upgrade for your next stay, it would be a pleasure to allocate you a room on upper level at the back of the hotel as per your preference.

I do hope that you will choose Colombo Courtyard on your next visit, as well. Please do contact me directly at ceoccl@colombocourtyard.com and I will personally oversee your stay.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in very bad Position for everything. Staff very friendly. Restaurand is Tragedy... Do not eat there. Prices ok. 5 Stars in no case. Internet verry very slow, nearly not usebar. In every Suite is fruit juicer, buz no fruit!!! Funny! There is no rlevatot. Summary: good, very expensive for the service. For half a price would be akceptable.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Karel M
Colombo C, Chief executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are sorry to hear that this wasn’t to your expectations and that you left the hotel disappointed.

Your feedback holds great value for us and we want to assure you that we are following up with all relevant departments so as to improve our services for all future stays.

With that in mind, if you would be kind enough to get in touch with me via the email provided below, we would be able to better understand the areas that we have failed in your eyes! This would enable me to rectify any short comings in those areas proactively.
You can reach me at ceoccl@colombocourtyard.com

I hope that we have the opportunity of having you with us in the not too distant future so that we may make amends for your next stay.

Until such time, Warm Regards

Chief Executive Officer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This boutique hotel is a gem. The service provided from the staffs are excellent.

Bed and bathroom in the room are perfect. They do provided plenty of tea selection in the room and a great swimming pool. There are many cafes nearby at Queens road for your dining as well.

Hope to come back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Colombo C, Chief Executive Officer at Colombo Courtyard, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your 5 star rating and for your wonderful praises !

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the staff, the amenities and the convenient location of the hotel, with many trendy cafés nearby. Hopefully next time you will be able to sample the delights of our food & beverage options at the hotel premises. (Two restaurants & three bars).

Our staff work very hard to pamper our guests and make them feel as comfortable as possible and even go above & beyond their expectations. I shall pass on your kind words to my team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Until such time, Warm Regards