“Great little hide-away”
Review of Zylan Luxury Villa

Zylan Luxury Villa
Ranked #18 of 154 Colombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our friends recommended this place to us. We weren't disappointed.

Lovely rooms, helpful staff, and great location for wandering around Columbo.

Top tip - have the Sri Lankan curry breakfast BUT remember to order it in advance! Otherwise the croissant, fruit and omelette were delicious.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheAmershanReviewer

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Small, lovely boutique style hotel. Very Zen :-) Breakfast is fine, our dinner experience was not so great. Food is ok, but waiting time was exceptionally long. Small but nice pool area on roof top. Staff is very friendly and willing to help. The hotel is based in an area with lots of embassies in nice colonial villas. Enough nice restaurants only a tuktuk drive away. We enjoyed the food court in the old Dutch hospital.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chantalver
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Set in a quieter area of Colombo, the artwork, style comfort and excellent staff who arranged whatever you wanted. We felt like we were the only guests in the place, even when all rooms were full.
Swimming pool on the roof gives an overview of local area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wally S
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed at Zylan for 2 nights with my spouse in Feb 2013, the first night in the Executive Suite & next night in the Deluxe. If you plan to stay here, pick the executive suite. We loved it! It's beautiful, spacious, has a luxurious bathroom and you will truly feel relaxed & pampered.

However, after staying in this suite, we found the deluxe suite to be too smallish. We were a little disappointed with this room. Though the room was clean as such, i found a hair on the bed! We were out the whole day & they had 6 hours to clean the room! Also, the paint was chipping off from the fan from the ceiling & falling on the bed. When we informed the manager, he said he's send someone but no one came! We dusted it off & went to sleep.

Coming to food, We stated our preference the previous night & I asked them to slightly customize the Sri Lankan Breakfast to my taste, which they did. And boy, it was really good! However, breakfast on the second day was totally disappointing! It was cold & unappetizing.

The person at the front Desk/manager, Harsha, was quite helpful in arranging a tuk tuk for us & recommending places & restaurants.

We highly recommend staying here. The villa has a relaxing feel with modern & minimalist decor and we had a very comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Take the Executive Suite.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neeti_sri
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We had a lovely stay here, away from the hustle and bustle of Colombo, yet a short yuk-tuk ride to other areas of the city. As it was our honeymoon, the management kindly upgraded our room to the beautiful suite. We also loved the little pool tucked up on the roof. The hotel was decorated in a subtle, minimalist way, which created a lovely, calming atmosphere. We found breakfast to be a bit random - not quite got the 'Western' breakfast right, but this was a minor issue for us. Would definitely stay again and recommended to others on our travels.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jooster30
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Just one night spent here - very understated colonial decor. Cool and relaxing, with luxury finishings and a fantastic roof top pool. Staff were very attentive and organised airport transfers for us. Upgraded to a huge suite - high point definitely the giant bathroom with bubble jets in the bath! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Chrissie L
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Upon arrival, it is immediately obvious that subtlety is key here, hidden in cross junctions of the main streets, this place seems to be walled from the rest of the city.

I'm here on business, and I usually don't book these types of vacation resort, but my business partners decided to celebrate her 10th year anniversary of marriage during the trip, so she picked this place and for convenient purposes, I booked it too. Oh and what a treat it was.

This 10 room resort is minutes away from what seems to be a small but definitely one of the best shopping complex (Odel) in Colombo. When I say small, I mean it's actually smaller than a Department Store in the States, but one will definitely find all the souvenirs they need here.

Back to the resort; Extremely polite staff; Hirsha (the daytime manager), although did not grant us our ridiculously late check-out request, made ensured we felt welcome and provided us with showers and bath towels to freshen up before our late flight.

Excellent shower... don't understand why another review stated a petite or inadequate shower, but in the room I was at (Rm 103), my shower was big (but no tub) and water was hot.

The minimalist essence is also noted in the room, high ceiling, tall doors, the uncolored partial walls is part of the decor theme and the bed was comfortable. If I can only make a slight suggestion... please add a clock in the room... I have lost track of time in it.

The roof is also nice and it has a pool... well... it's would qualify as a really big tub.

Beautiful main building area with sofas and dining tables. This is also where you have breakfast (or you can choose the roof). Food-wise... the complimentary breakfast is made to order from a menu, which is nice. But the food looks better than it taste (I was told the chef is new and on trial)

Good Wi-Fi (which for me is more important than breakfast) so I'm a happy guest.

Verdict; A real bargain for its type and would stay again whenever I'm in town

Room Tip: apparently Room 101 is a giant, my friend loved it. My room (103) has a small courtyard exiting to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business