“Good value for the money”
Review of Hotel The Saffron

Hotel The Saffron
Ranked #47 of 138 Colombo B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First off, for the most part, there are only high-end and low-end hotels in Colombo, but with that said this is as close to the middle-of-the-road as you will find and at a very reasonable rate. It is more of a bed and breakfast but the management do go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable in all your requests. Their hospitality is certainly five star. I'm a solo traveler and my room was spacious enough, clean, and bed was sufficiently comfortable. They accommodate lager groups as well. Breakfast was good and they provide tours and taxi service as well. Anthony is very personable and his wife is also. By the end of my 5 day trip they were more like friends.

Room Tip: It's about 15-20 minutes by tuk-tuk but it is cheap. Booking through Expedia made it seem like i...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank w0rldn0mad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Arabic first
Koblenz, Germany
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stood in The Saffron for two nights, after arriving in Colombo. The Guesthouse is locate in a quiet neighborhood but the city center is good to reach by Tuk-Tuk (ca. 20 min./ $3)

The service was very friendly and attentive. Even though we arrived late at night they prepared delicious food for us.

The rooms were simple but containt everything needed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jens H
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

The Saffron is a very small and cute hotel, excellent service - the staff are very attentive without being annoying which is refreshing and really helpful with information on the area.
Breakfast was just eggs but for a short stay this is fine!
Rooms are comfortable and clean, and the shower was nice and hot most of the time. Air con worked but was very noisy!

Only downside was that is was a 20-30 minute tuktuk ride from Colombo centre so the fees racked up, and often the drivers didn't know where the hotel was!

It's a good place for a short stay on your way elsewhere or if you want somewhere quiet.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank hansz1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Location of the hotel is very far off from the main areas. Its located in a residential district. But the owner of the place was very very helpful especially arranging transport, as it can get very difficult to get any rickshaw or taxi from the hotel's location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nirav352
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I knew from previous posts that we will have a hard time looking for the hotel so when I arrived at the airport I went to the airport taxi counter to double check with them if they knew the place. I even gave the driver a rough map of the location. However we still got lost and had to phone the hotel.

I was given a room on the second floor with a window that should have a good view of the front yard if only those vines were not hanging out from the frontage of the hotel. It is a huge house with 14 rooms. The furnitures were made of hard wood and most rooms have poster beds.

They arranged for my trip to Kandy by their 3 wheeler vehicle (Similar to tuktuk) and they charged me only 7150 rupees. I was also given a breakfast of omelet and toast before we headed off to Kandy.

The room was comfortable and my bathroom was clean and had a good shower. Unfortunately when I came back after my Kandy trip I found that my room wasnt even cleaned(I stayed for two nights), So that night I had some small ants in my bed and I had to remove them one by one before I went to bed.

On my check out the owner(lady) only billed me for the tuktuk service to kandy(7150 rupees) and 3000 rupees for the drive to the airport. So I gave her additional payment for my breakfasts and 2 drinks.

Well for hospitality the owners and people there are always smiling. The only thing that I dont like is the location which is very hard to find and a bit out of the way.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank betty l
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Clean, quiet. Room larger than expected. Certainly better than backpacker stay locations. But there are no 4-star amenities. Staff always helpful. Breakfast acceptable, but remember the cooks are not western trained.

Not easy for taxi or three-wheeler drivers to find, so a sense of direction helps once you do find it.

Value for money in a city that has experienced price inflation in hotel rates. I would expect it to be booked full during peak periods.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fred0913
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Overall we cannot fault the service, collection from airport was good and efficient, although driving is hectic here and my partner suffered whiplash due to a near accident. The rooms are basic (very basic) but clean. Shower is horrendous either scalding hot or freezing cold. No Mosquito nets and given that they are right in front of a huge marsh area this is a problem. We were all bitten more on the 2 nights here than anywhere else and we stayed all over Sri Lanka. One other annoying point was being told my final bill was one amount but on producing a Visa card they arbitrarily added 4% to the bill without telling me and handed the stub to me to sign. Overall an average "in a bind" guesthouse - I would not recommend overall.

• Stayed July 2013