“Overrated and disappointed”

Taj Samudra Colombo
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very rarely do I give negative reviews about hotels I stayed in, but I had to do this to warn others before they book it. I still gave 2 stars, one for the excellent restaurants they have, the other for the beautiful entrance and lobby.

On check in, it was all very nice, until I reached my ocean facing room on 3rd floor, like other reviews said, ancient TV, old bathroom, all looked very 3 stars or below to me. Excessive noise at night kept me awake all night (room 301). The door has a large gap underneath which let me the light and noise, like a toilet door to me, lol!

Asked to switch room, was given free upgrade to luxury floor on 5th and at far end of the south wing. It looked kind of new, but carpet stink of urine, flat panel TV with loud speakers already distorted, broken office chair which was hard to balance when sat on, wifi that was never able to log on....no bath but shower only and very slippery when wet as well. Not forgivable when I paid 5 star price.

Upon check out at 4am to catch my morning flight, the guy had attitude (which I re-educated him on the spot) , they had the audacity to charge me for the free upgrade. I managed to get out of that one. Final blow was that instead of putting my luggage on the booked Kangaroo taxi, I was put on their black car. At 4 am when you are tired sand furious from the wrong bills, one lost all guard, and so, I had to pay the 5000 rs fees since I was already on the high way when I found out it wasn't the taxi I booked. Fortunately, I had a good driver and I reached airport safely.

I felt my money was wasted, this place is an empty shell. Clearly banking on its brand name only. People who are used to 5 star hotels will find this one fail to deliver in many areas. There are 2 new 5 star hotels coming up next to the Taj next year, hopefully people can look elsewhere.

I find the manager keep writing apology letters here to negative reviews which really means nothing, just another one of those copy and paste wham-bang-thank-you-mam robotic replies, oh please! I will only come here to dine, never to stay.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel if you can, rooms are so old, even the renovated ones are not on par with any...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A value for money stay at an excellent location in Colombo. Great hospitality by very courteous staff as always with the Taj. Excellent interiors make the feeling of space, comfort and luxury. The sea side rooms provide splendid view of the beach; a wonderful place to relax over a wine or coffee. Ask for a sea view room at check in.
Staff at business center may need more training.
If you are booking for airport pick up online, please confirm it by email; somehow this information didn't get relayed to the hotel from Taj's booking portal; though the hotel has an office at Colombo.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view rooms. Reconfirm airport pick-up.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

As regular guests of Taj Hotels in India we had high expectations of this hotel.The location was great and the room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable. However, the service at breakfast was poor, the staff were not quick to respond to requests on more than one occasion and they were slow to clear the tables.We had a similar issue at the pool bar, where no member of staff was available to serve at the bar.It took 30mins to get 2 beers! and a further 30 mins for the staff to locate the Pool Bar Menus!Once we did get our order it was wrong and had to be sent back.This is not the standard of service that we expect from the Taj group. At the Lobby Bar I asked for a Mojito and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and I was told that there was none available only "Chardonnay"My Mojito was disappointing too, as it was very watery, you couldn't taste the alcohol only ice!I On a more positive note the 2 Pool boys were very helpful and attentive.We ate in Yumi and the Steak House Grill and I have to say the food and service was excellent in both these restaurants.One thing that was also missing was the lack of presence from the Senior management team, as not one Manager interacted with us during our stay, nor did they come out to see us when we were expressing our concerns at check out. We would like to think that the Service hopefully will change for the better in the future should we return to meet the Taj ethos and standards.
I particular we would like to thank Praboth Flair Shan and Atilla Iskifoglu for making us 2 very tasty cocktails.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Being a lover of watching sunsets, the view from my room at the Taj Samudra was a perfect affair between sundown and the sea. Except the noteworthy views, the attention to detail in the "business rooms" as well as the service from staff made my short trip (stayed there for two nights) worth it.
The convenient location of the hotel made it easy for us to explore the markets and busy lanes of the seat of business - Colombo. The reception staff was cordial and helped us figure out the good places to see and eat! We moved around the city with ease - thanks to them!
Great job yet again Taj!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had a 6 days business trip in Colombo and stayed therefore in the Taj.

While checkin in, they were so friendly offering me a deluxe room facing the sea for the price of a room facing the land. I noted then that it was a room with twin beds. These beds were for me (i am 1.90 cm tall) fairly to short and i asked then to take another room with a queen bed, unfoturnately only facing to the more quite garden area. The queen bed room was better for me alone, but I have to mention that the queen bed would for two persons also be quite small.

Otherwise, the room was quite nicely decoraed. The bathroom on the other side has rather a standard of a 3 star hotel.

The largest disappointment was the internet. You pay approx. USD 17 per day (what is very high, especially also for Sri Lanka). The further disappointment was that the internet was not at all stable. The iphone often did not work and the network had to changed frequently. In the lobby area and in the restaurants, the internet (although paid) was also not properly working.

On the other side, very pleasant is the pool and the fitness area. Also positive is the very friendly staff which are helpful. They do an excellent job.

Also very good is the breakfast. There is a variety of food there, also for vegetarians and vegans quite suitable.

Room Tip: If you are alone, ask for a queen bed in advance. It is also recommended to take an external wifi so...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel offers the service that you expect from a Taj. For some reason, I ended up with an allergy at the property however, the hotel staff tried their best to find the reason and solution to the problem. The breakfast was simply amazing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

From moment of arrival to checkout, the Taj Colombo lives up to its rating and reputation.
Modern upscale appointed rooms that are kept impeccably clean. A fitness center staffed with trainers to assist. A restaurant with wide variety of well prepared foods. We loved the breakfast buffet that offers an array of regional foods from European continental to Indian paratas. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I was under the impression when we were there that the hotel was undergoing some renovation, althoug...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business