Very rarely do I give negative reviews about hotels I stayed in, but I had to do this to warn others before they book it. I still gave 2 stars, one for the excellent restaurants they have, the other for the beautiful entrance and lobby.
On check in, it was all very nice, until I reached my ocean facing room on 3rd floor, like other reviews said, ancient TV, old bathroom, all looked very 3 stars or below to me. Excessive noise at night kept me awake all night (room 301). The door has a large gap underneath which let me the light and noise, like a toilet door to me, lol!
Asked to switch room, was given free upgrade to luxury floor on 5th and at far end of the south wing. It looked kind of new, but carpet stink of urine, flat panel TV with loud speakers already distorted, broken office chair which was hard to balance when sat on, wifi that was never able to log on....no bath but shower only and very slippery when wet as well. Not forgivable when I paid 5 star price.
Upon check out at 4am to catch my morning flight, the guy had attitude (which I re-educated him on the spot) , they had the audacity to charge me for the free upgrade. I managed to get out of that one. Final blow was that instead of putting my luggage on the booked Kangaroo taxi, I was put on their black car. At 4 am when you are tired sand furious from the wrong bills, one lost all guard, and so, I had to pay the 5000 rs fees since I was already on the high way when I found out it wasn't the taxi I booked. Fortunately, I had a good driver and I reached airport safely.
I felt my money was wasted, this place is an empty shell. Clearly banking on its brand name only. People who are used to 5 star hotels will find this one fail to deliver in many areas. There are 2 new 5 star hotels coming up next to the Taj next year, hopefully people can look elsewhere.
I find the manager keep writing apology letters here to negative reviews which really means nothing, just another one of those copy and paste wham-bang-thank-you-mam robotic replies, oh please! I will only come here to dine, never to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Taj Samudra Colombo is located in the heart of the Colombo city, overlooking the azure waters of the Indian Ocean. The most stylish Executive category rooms are by far the best in design and comfort in the city of Colombo. Taj Samudra offers the following choice of food & beverage outlets - Latitude - all day dining restaurant serving Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a a choice of la carte specialties Navratna - Specialty Indian Restaurant catering to North Indian flavors Golden Dragon - Authentic Chinese Cuisine with a specialty in Sichuan Cuisine, YUMI - Japanese resto bar with live entertainment from Thursday through Saturday,live sports and best of live entertainment over weekends, Lobby Lounge - Unwind over a snack, dessert or a quiet drink. In Room Dining - 24 hour room service Keeping in line with the changing times, Taj Samudra retains the colonial charm, heritage value, sense of space, privacy and luxuries for our esteemed guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Prestigia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Samudra Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Samudra Colombo Hotel Colombo
- Taj Samudra Hotel Colombo
- Colombo Taj Samudra Hotel