2,565 results
All reviewsgolden dragonlatitude restaurantclub roomthe sea facing roomssri lankagalle face roadindian oceanindian foodcoffee shophouse keepingbreakfast spreadbusiness tripan upgradesea frontluxury hotelfront officeexecutive floor
Reviewed 8 May 2014

As mentioned in most reviews, the hotel is centrally located and faces the Indian Ocean. Since i landed early morning, Swift chk in scored a brownie point. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous.
The rooms are very spacious and clean.Food and service is excellent. Needless to say,
Taj lives up to its brand.

Room Tip: Request for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Good hotel with decent Indian cuisines.
Great breakfast & other amenities
When its compared with other Taj standards, it lacks the tint & maintenance. some of the decorations are wooden/handwork & has fungal growth if closely watched, includes the table top decors. "I am not commenting on wooden furniture, they all are perfect"

Over all i prefer staying there, in the sea/front facing room where we can see the flags flutter & kites in the sky beyond the green lawn.... I have stayed twice & had visited twice more for breakfast.

This is my personal unbiased view based on the rooms where I stayed. It may vary or things might have changed by time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very rarely do I give negative reviews about hotels I stayed in, but I had to do this to warn others before they book it. I still gave 2 stars, one for the excellent restaurants they have, the other for the beautiful entrance and lobby.

On check in, it was all very nice, until I reached my ocean facing room on 3rd floor, like other reviews said, ancient TV, old bathroom, all looked very 3 stars or below to me. Excessive noise at night kept me awake all night (room 301). The door has a large gap underneath which let me the light and noise, like a toilet door to me, lol!

Asked to switch room, was given free upgrade to luxury floor on 5th and at far end of the south wing. It looked kind of new, but carpet stink of urine, flat panel TV with loud speakers already distorted, broken office chair which was hard to balance when sat on, wifi that was never able to log on....no bath but shower only and very slippery when wet as well. Not forgivable when I paid 5 star price.

Upon check out at 4am to catch my morning flight, the guy had attitude (which I re-educated him on the spot) , they had the audacity to charge me for the free upgrade. I managed to get out of that one. Final blow was that instead of putting my luggage on the booked Kangaroo taxi, I was put on their black car. At 4 am when you are tired sand furious from the wrong bills, one lost all guard, and so, I had to pay the 5000 rs fees since I was already on the high way when I found out it wasn't the taxi I booked. Fortunately, I had a good driver and I reached airport safely.

I felt my money was wasted, this place is an empty shell. Clearly banking on its brand name only. People who are used to 5 star hotels will find this one fail to deliver in many areas. There are 2 new 5 star hotels coming up next to the Taj next year, hopefully people can look elsewhere.

I find the manager keep writing apology letters here to negative reviews which really means nothing, just another one of those copy and paste wham-bang-thank-you-mam robotic replies, oh please! I will only come here to dine, never to stay.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel if you can, rooms are so old, even the renovated ones are not on par with any 5 star hotels.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A value for money stay at an excellent location in Colombo. Great hospitality by very courteous staff as always with the Taj. Excellent interiors make the feeling of space, comfort and luxury. The sea side rooms provide splendid view of the beach; a wonderful place to relax over a wine or coffee. Ask for a sea view room at check in.
Staff at business center may need more training.
If you are booking for airport pick up online, please confirm it by email; somehow this information didn't get relayed to the hotel from Taj's booking portal; though the hotel has an office at Colombo.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view rooms. Reconfirm airport pick-up.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

As regular guests of Taj Hotels in India we had high expectations of this hotel.The location was great and the room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable. However, the service at breakfast was poor, the staff were not quick to respond to requests on more than one occasion and they were slow to clear the tables.We had a similar issue at the pool bar, where no member of staff was available to serve at the bar.It took 30mins to get 2 beers! and a further 30 mins for the staff to locate the Pool Bar Menus!Once we did get our order it was wrong and had to be sent back.This is not the standard of service that we expect from the Taj group. At the Lobby Bar I asked for a Mojito and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and I was told that there was none available only "Chardonnay"My Mojito was disappointing too, as it was very watery, you couldn't taste the alcohol only ice!I On a more positive note the 2 Pool boys were very helpful and attentive.We ate in Yumi and the Steak House Grill and I have to say the food and service was excellent in both these restaurants.One thing that was also missing was the lack of presence from the Senior management team, as not one Manager interacted with us during our stay, nor did they come out to see us when we were expressing our concerns at check out. We would like to think that the Service hopefully will change for the better in the future should we return to meet the Taj ethos and standards.
I particular we would like to thank Praboth Flair Shan and Atilla Iskifoglu for making us 2 very tasty cocktails.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple