“A Traveler's Delight”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“A Traveler's Delight”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel in the last leg of our Sri Lanka trip. I must say, the location is one of the best for any city hotel. Even though our recetion was pedestrian but we stayed in a upgraded Luxary Ocean View room with a breathtaking view. We witnessed the sunset over Indian Ocean from our balcony sipping a cup of ceylon tea and the experience was magical. But for the view, the room was modest and the bathroom with yellow tinted and black stained floor, was a big No No for anyone. Perhaps the room needs a bit of renovation. The room decor was good but the smelly mat (carpet?) was a downside. We were offered a bigger room but not on the ocean side and so we didn't go there. The staffs were polite, well behaved and a good listner but the service was a bit sloppy.
The reception and lobby area were opulent and there were a few excellent restaurents. The breakfast at Latitude was really really good but the best food served in our whole trip was here at the Golden Dragon Chinese restaurant. The ambience was great and the food was delicious.

We did take a round around the hotel and the landscaped garden and lawn were elegant. The best part was the location of the hotel. We had a great morning walk on the clean and beautiful promenade and a few minutes walk along the pavement, we did enter in to the shopping area with plenty to choose from.

Mr Chand, the Taj Executive really helped us for everything and the best of all was the extended stay we enjoyed in this sprawling hotel. A very good stay at the end and the hotel is indeed a traveler's delight.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed one night (our last in Sri Lanka) and it was such a nice experience. Right from the time when we checked in, the service was outstanding. The room was very comfortable and the view of the sea was great. The facilities at the hotel was also top notch.

Pros :

1. Great location right by the sea & outstanding service. The staff was very helpful. Especially the guy near the pool. I went for a swim and he was very attentive in providing the towel, drinks, waiting for me to finish my swimming session and guided me to the sauna, jacuzzi area. The travel desk person was also very helpful in recommending local speciality restaurants near the hotel. Also I had left the handphone in the cab at the airport and the hotel staff were prompt in sending the car back to deliver the hp.

2. Comfortable Room & great facilities

Cons :

1. Found the concept of charging for wifi appalling. Further even when we paid for it, the quality surprisingly was poor. Very Slow.

All in, a great experience in a 5 star hotel.

Tip : Please do go to the beach opposite the hotel in the evening when there are stalls selling local specialities. The food is truly delicious and is not to be missed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The best part is you get really good Indian breakfast here. Buffet spread is quite good. Rooms are average but the reception and lobby looks excellent. Sleep quality is good. Prime location with beach view. Room had an old TV and definitely needs an uplift to be counted as a 5-star hotel. Still I would go for a good rating to the good food, great location and courteous staff.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SarathSubash
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 8 May 2014

As mentioned in most reviews, the hotel is centrally located and faces the Indian Ocean. Since i landed early morning, Swift chk in scored a brownie point. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous.
The rooms are very spacious and clean.Food and service is excellent. Needless to say,
Taj lives up to its brand.

Room Tip: Request for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Good hotel with decent Indian cuisines.
Great breakfast & other amenities
When its compared with other Taj standards, it lacks the tint & maintenance. some of the decorations are wooden/handwork & has fungal growth if closely watched, includes the table top decors. "I am not commenting on wooden furniture, they all are perfect"

Over all i prefer staying there, in the sea/front facing room where we can see the flags flutter & kites in the sky beyond the green lawn.... I have stayed twice & had visited twice more for breakfast.

This is my personal unbiased view based on the rooms where I stayed. It may vary or things might have changed by time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very rarely do I give negative reviews about hotels I stayed in, but I had to do this to warn others before they book it. I still gave 2 stars, one for the excellent restaurants they have, the other for the beautiful entrance and lobby.

On check in, it was all very nice, until I reached my ocean facing room on 3rd floor, like other reviews said, ancient TV, old bathroom, all looked very 3 stars or below to me. Excessive noise at night kept me awake all night (room 301). The door has a large gap underneath which let me the light and noise, like a toilet door to me, lol!

Asked to switch room, was given free upgrade to luxury floor on 5th and at far end of the south wing. It looked kind of new, but carpet stink of urine, flat panel TV with loud speakers already distorted, broken office chair which was hard to balance when sat on, wifi that was never able to log on....no bath but shower only and very slippery when wet as well. Not forgivable when I paid 5 star price.

Upon check out at 4am to catch my morning flight, the guy had attitude (which I re-educated him on the spot) , they had the audacity to charge me for the free upgrade. I managed to get out of that one. Final blow was that instead of putting my luggage on the booked Kangaroo taxi, I was put on their black car. At 4 am when you are tired sand furious from the wrong bills, one lost all guard, and so, I had to pay the 5000 rs fees since I was already on the high way when I found out it wasn't the taxi I booked. Fortunately, I had a good driver and I reached airport safely.

I felt my money was wasted, this place is an empty shell. Clearly banking on its brand name only. People who are used to 5 star hotels will find this one fail to deliver in many areas. There are 2 new 5 star hotels coming up next to the Taj next year, hopefully people can look elsewhere.

I find the manager keep writing apology letters here to negative reviews which really means nothing, just another one of those copy and paste wham-bang-thank-you-mam robotic replies, oh please! I will only come here to dine, never to stay.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel if you can, rooms are so old, even the renovated ones are not on par with any...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A value for money stay at an excellent location in Colombo. Great hospitality by very courteous staff as always with the Taj. Excellent interiors make the feeling of space, comfort and luxury. The sea side rooms provide splendid view of the beach; a wonderful place to relax over a wine or coffee. Ask for a sea view room at check in.
Staff at business center may need more training.
If you are booking for airport pick up online, please confirm it by email; somehow this information didn't get relayed to the hotel from Taj's booking portal; though the hotel has an office at Colombo.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view rooms. Reconfirm airport pick-up.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business