2,611 results
All reviews golden dragon latitude restaurant club room the sea facing rooms sri lanka galle face road indian ocean indian food coffee shop house keeping breakfast spread business trip an upgrade luxury hotel sea front front office executive floor
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at Taj Samudra when it was undergoing renovation for the CHOGM meet in October 2013. I loved the décor but more so the Sri Lankan staff who gave my wife and me excellent service in both the restaurants and the café. I remember going for a swim in the pool, and having a drink at the pool bar, nothing spectacular, but I am sure post renovation it would have been better. People kept telling me that Cinnamon Grand was better, but be Indian buy Indian was my motto.

On eating in the Chinese restaurant, I knew precisely why I fell in love with Taj Samudra. I went to the restaurant in shorts but the manager made me feel at ease, asking me to drape a sarong across my lap (a dry cleaned one was given to me). We were given complimentary dishes almost as if the restaurant had committed a sin. We let the staff order for us, and I remember having the BEST CHINESE MEAL OF MY LIFE.

Room Tip: Since the hotel was undergoing renovation, we had to put up with noise and dust, but were happy when we were upgraded to a suite. Doubt they do that anymore.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a part of official trip i stayed in this hotel for a perod of 2 months last year. It is truly a good palce to stay in sri lanka. You have a feel of India here . Buffet breakfast served is awesome and so the other restaurants as well. When it coems to luxury and service, It is excellent. Must be every Indian choice who visit Sri lanka.

Room Tip: Seelect the room with balcony with ocean view as you can see teh beuaty of setting sun from those rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were here in March 2013 for a few days and it served us well.

The rooms are standard for a hotel of this size although you will probably want a sea view like everyone else so get your request in early!

Tuk Tuks are not allowed into the hotel grounds so walk down to the barricade and you will get one in a jiffy - agree your price before you set off and you'll have a great time. Incidentally it's even too far to walk to the station from here (travelling to Kandy, for example) so you'll need to get a Tuk Tuk, don't be shy, it's a great (albeit sometimes hair-raising) way to travel.

This hotel has great service, and we especially like the tea room, placed right in the middle of the reception area, so you can see all the comings and goings. The entire Indian cricket team arrived whilst we watched, you have never seen so much bowing and scraping going on! Everyone was well honoured!

There are some great restaurants in the hotel - the steak restaurant is pricey (especially by Sri Lankan prices) but wow! was it good or what? If you have the budget do try it.

The only thing we didn't like was the bar; dark, gloomy and didn't open until early evening. No matter the tea room staff will get you drink from there at any time of the day which you can drink in the tea-room area.

This is not Europe (or the USA for that matter). Standards are different here, but this hotel was just fine and the staff very accommodating. We liked it and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room (costs more but worth it). Get a higher floor as they are quieter. Breakfast is magnificent (ditto for dinner).
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great location, excellent service and food.
specially the Breakfast is amazing.Refurbished rooms are the best in town.
You could have the typical Engilsh tea snacks with the wide varieties of special teas at the lattice

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dhaithya
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here on a recent family holiday, the location is fantastic and has good cafe's at a walkable distance, the restaurants they have offer decent food.

The rooms are ok, but one has to ask for sea facing room which is really amazing...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple