2,568 results
All reviewsgolden dragonlatitude restaurantclub roomthe sea facing roomssri lankagalle face roadindian oceanindian foodcoffee shophouse keepingbreakfast spreadbusiness tripan upgradesea frontluxury hotelfront officeexecutive floor
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Most pleasant & beautiful view in Colombo...be it night or day, a sea facing room with balcony to sip i the morning tea with newspaper...what else a person can ask for before after a hectic day.
If someone really wants to learn Hospitality, visit this hotel!
Breakfast as delicious & quite as i want, ambience as subtle as an island.
Liked Japs new restaurant 'Yu Mi', i remember it wasn't there last time i visited...some hot good dinner they served..
But what if you get absolute delicious India food as to your requirement that too from head chef, whom after chatting with we came to know was Indian(from Shimla) and made just absolute delicious food, indian music ghazal playing in backdrop & i liked chef's mint chutney which he calls a secret recipe :)
Very subtle ambience & Aroma throughout the hotel...
Nice pool for keeping your feet underwater while sipping some mocktail...ha ha ;)
Bravo!!

Room Tip: Whether you take a pool facing room (EAST FACING) or Beach facing (WEST facing) or north (Official buildings) or South facing (park & too green)...its always a pleasure being here.... But do try for a beach facing one ;)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Best location of town. Extremly friendly staff. Good variety of vegetarian food. Very green surroundings. Round the clock good service. Good interiors, spacious rooms. Nice gym and tennis courts. Would love to revisit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jaspal_Aulakh
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at Taj Samudra when it was undergoing renovation for the CHOGM meet in October 2013. I loved the décor but more so the Sri Lankan staff who gave my wife and me excellent service in both the restaurants and the café. I remember going for a swim in the pool, and having a drink at the pool bar, nothing spectacular, but I am sure post renovation it would have been better. People kept telling me that Cinnamon Grand was better, but be Indian buy Indian was my motto.

On eating in the Chinese restaurant, I knew precisely why I fell in love with Taj Samudra. I went to the restaurant in shorts but the manager made me feel at ease, asking me to drape a sarong across my lap (a dry cleaned one was given to me). We were given complimentary dishes almost as if the restaurant had committed a sin. We let the staff order for us, and I remember having the BEST CHINESE MEAL OF MY LIFE.

Room Tip: Since the hotel was undergoing renovation, we had to put up with noise and dust, but were happy when we were upgraded to a suite. Doubt they do that anymore.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a part of official trip i stayed in this hotel for a perod of 2 months last year. It is truly a good palce to stay in sri lanka. You have a feel of India here . Buffet breakfast served is awesome and so the other restaurants as well. When it coems to luxury and service, It is excellent. Must be every Indian choice who visit Sri lanka.

Room Tip: Seelect the room with balcony with ocean view as you can see teh beuaty of setting sun from those rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were here in March 2013 for a few days and it served us well.

The rooms are standard for a hotel of this size although you will probably want a sea view like everyone else so get your request in early!

Tuk Tuks are not allowed into the hotel grounds so walk down to the barricade and you will get one in a jiffy - agree your price before you set off and you'll have a great time. Incidentally it's even too far to walk to the station from here (travelling to Kandy, for example) so you'll need to get a Tuk Tuk, don't be shy, it's a great (albeit sometimes hair-raising) way to travel.

This hotel has great service, and we especially like the tea room, placed right in the middle of the reception area, so you can see all the comings and goings. The entire Indian cricket team arrived whilst we watched, you have never seen so much bowing and scraping going on! Everyone was well honoured!

There are some great restaurants in the hotel - the steak restaurant is pricey (especially by Sri Lankan prices) but wow! was it good or what? If you have the budget do try it.

The only thing we didn't like was the bar; dark, gloomy and didn't open until early evening. No matter the tea room staff will get you drink from there at any time of the day which you can drink in the tea-room area.

This is not Europe (or the USA for that matter). Standards are different here, but this hotel was just fine and the staff very accommodating. We liked it and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room (costs more but worth it). Get a higher floor as they are quieter. Breakfast is magnificent (ditto for dinner).
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple