2,667 results
All reviews golden dragon latitude restaurant club room the sea facing rooms sri lanka galle face road indian ocean indian food coffee shop house keeping business trip breakfast spread an upgrade sea front luxury hotel front office special thanks
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The property location is amazing. The restaurants dish out good stuff.
Service is good. Rooms are pretty bad. I stayed on the 3rd floor. Rooms are old. Walls are full of mold.Flooring was broken.
They changed my room to the 5th floor.
The carpets in the corridor are old and musty.
Not expected of a Taj property.

Room Tip: Ask them for renovated rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Arvind M
Reviewed 29 May 2014

the hotel is renovated,stuff doesnt meet the level of renovation.stuff is far behind knowledge how to treat guests.
mainly asian guests and backpackers may be satified with service and level inside the place.
according to international standards place is not at all sufficient and satisfying relevamtly to the prices.
you have to argue with waiters,who dont even know whats on the menue or on the beverages menue.
it happened to me and it destroyed my day,which was quiet exciting.a big argue with a waiter in the lobby bar,upset me and destroyed my so far successful day.
not at all the standard which i know and enjoyed in taj mumbai several times.
this place and arguing waiters are far away from it.
kind of arrogancy in the arguing not at all based on knowledge,and in addition far to high in price....thats not at all a good cocktail.

Room Tip: try casa colombo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First time staying at the Taj in Sri Lanka and top marks for service and ambience. We were placed in an ocean view room that was very well appointed. The rooms were great and the staff - from guest relations to housekeeping was super attentive. They helped us with reservations, information and good room service with a smile at any time of day or night. They even got a tv channel for my mom so she could watch the daily series to which she is addicted (that was above and beyond)!

My only mild annoyance was that this was a non smoking floor and someone was definitely smoking - and you could smell it in the corridor and sometimes in the a/cs. (The first room they showed us was rejected because it smelled like smoke).

Pool and gym (including instructors) were great but they could have done with separate spa rooms. and the car service (though slightly pricey) was very very convenient. The only thing that was a bit annoying was The food was fantastic and I really looked forward to the variety at breakfast. The chefs were even nice enough to email me recipes I wanted.

All in all, would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ocean front is preferred but the city side is not so bad :-)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My title says it all, I love staying at the Taj across the world because of the high quality service standards, delicious food and luxurious infrastructure. I fell head over heels for the entrance, lobby areas and the pool. The food was excellent- breakfast spread, Golden dragon (loved the Chinese food here!), sri-lankan cuisine. The staff is very polite and helpful. The only thing which disappointed me the most was the rooms, it felt like staying in a 3 star hotel, old small tv box, old furniture and even the towels were old! Though the room was clean and neatly done however the feel was not good. Another thing, your spa is short staffed. There was only one guy managing the entire show!. Guys, its time to change.
BTW the saree uniform of your staff is beautiful!

Room Tip: Ocean view with a balcony as there are some ocean view rooms but without the balcony. I wish I knew this before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Isha B
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Taj is and has always been known for quality in terms of service and the product offerings. Based on that perception alone, I decided to spend 2 nights here on my recent trip to Colombo. I must say I have very mixed reactions about the hotel.

The property is located on Gall face road, and overlooks the ocean. So, that is a plus point. The front porch and the lobby are both very grand in appearance. The overall feel is very royal and very 5 star like. Just like one would expect in any Taj property.

The service is also very refined and good. I had booked for a garden view room and they bumped me up to an ocean room, without any extra charge. There was also a guest relation officer who accompanied me upto my room upon check-in. So far so good.

Then came the major bummer. The rooms are very old. They are neat and clean nevertheless but are very old. There is a old age box TV and the bed is old and creeky. The bathroom still had fittings from the 80s and I felt that I was in some dilapidated old property and not that of Taj.

The breakfast at the cafe was a good spread of world cuisines and was sumptuous. I did dine at the Golden dragon (the Chinese food restaurant) and was very impressed with the service levels and the quality of food.

Overall, this Taj property didn't impress me much. This needs a serious modern upliftment.

I would suggest renting a room at Kingsbury for the same price, which is very well done up.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business