Taj Samudra Colombo
US$188
US$166
  • Pool
2,381 results
All reviewsgolden dragonlatitude restaurantclub roomthe sea facing roomssri lankagalle face roadindian oceanindian foodcoffee shophouse keepingbusiness tripbreakfast spreadcraban upgradesea frontluxury hotelfront office
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed at the Taj recently for a business trip. The hotel lobby has been renovated and is welcoming. The staff I must say are outstanding. The willingness of the room attendants and service staff is 5 star. However I have one main issue 1) Internet. How can it be, in this day and age that large hotels still charge high internet rates whereas small hotels nearby offer internet for free. It doesn't make sense and when you're travelling on business makes for a sour taste.

The price of the room, which is sold with +++ tax (seriously, just include the tax in the price) was $182. The prices in Colombo are rising rapidly so it's hard to tell what's value for money these days.

Other positives were the central location, opposite the galle green, breakfast, and gym.

Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Stay in the North wing, ocean facing. The South wing ocean facing rooms are blocked by trees (if you don't like trees ;)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DaTW
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The good things first: fabulous location overlooking the main stretch of the beach in Colombo. I was also allotted a very good sea-view room which met all my needs. Breakfast and lunch buffets were very good, especially if one enjoys sea-food. But the good stuff ends about here.

There is a strange disconnect in service standards. The housekeeping staff kept keeping signed notes in my room which I found quite intrusive and unprofessional.

The worst part was that one night, at about 2.30 am, a housekeeping staff barged into my room - rang the bell and was into the room in one quick motion even as I was jolted awake from deep sleep. I yelled and he mumbled an apology and was away. Left me in a shock and I barely got any sleep rest of the night, in the middle of a busy working week,

Brought the attention of the hotel management the next morning before leaving for work. Came back and enquired. was told that a trainee was apparently tasked with checking and stocking up mini-bars of unoccupied rooms and there was a mistake with the room number given to him. There was mumbled apology from a front desk staff.

The whole incident left me quite shaken and am certain that had this happened in any other five star luxury hotel in India - certainly in a Taj or even otherwise - there would have been much better service recovery and personalised apology.

The overall decor, room furniture etc is quite old-fashioned without being classic or heritage in any way. There are no power sockets near the bedside - and just only one for the whole room. This is a huge annoyance where one has to charge a laptop, camera, two mobile phones and a tablet. To be fair, the hotel did provide an extension cord with multiple sockets but those devices are electrical hazards and I did not dare plug in more than two devices at a time.

I think for the time being Taj Samudra is cocooned from competition because there is nothing around to beat their locational advantage and its past glory. But with several top notch properties coming up right on its doorsteps (I noted ITC, Shangri La and one other similar brand within 200 metres of each other), it desperately needs overhaul of its physical infrastructure and completely rethink its service ethos.

Room Tip: Ask for sea-facing rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MistahDC
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Colombo was our last stop and here we chose The Taj Samudra and I must say that we were quite disappointed. The hotel needs a lot of refurbishing. The carpets look old and worn out, some rooms still have the old box television sets. The only good point in all this was the location of the property opposite the Ocean, but there are other properties which have the same view and in the next 2 years ITC & Shangrila are coming up right next to Taj. The swimming pool looks very old and definitely needs a new look.

The service is good and efficient as what is expected of Taj. Food is decent but in the buffet they were taking a long time to replenish the food. Overall quite a let down after having stayed in various properties of Taj in India,

Room Tip: Please see that you get the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ravi73
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Taj Samudra on the 6th and 7th June 2014. It was our 4th hotel/stay during our week long drive trip in Sri Lanka, the most expensive by far, and the most disappointing!
Slow check in, with the room not ready to be occupied at 2:45pm. No welcome drink or cool towels to freshen you up, which is the least of the bother.
When we were assigned the room, it was without a balcony or sit out where as our booking voucher clearly stated that we had booked an ocean view room opening into a patio or balcony. When confronted, the duty manager first said that hotel.com, our booking agent had not passed on the info. I asked that the same reason be given to me in writing over mail and if I could get the mail ID of the general manager to raise the complaint. I was told that "We are not allowed to share the GM's contact details but shall have his secretary call you". No one did. They declined to answer to my mail which had the booking coupon attached as they now said that they had no room with a balcony available but would "upgrade" me to their luxury floor. The only upgrade we noticed from the 2nd to the 5th floor was a slightly renovated room and a pint of wine!
The wifi refused to connect and a router had to be arranged for it to work. A job well done by the IT guy.
The pool premises had been let out to an event, which meant the only way my wife and I could use the pool is with a swarm of event organisers and installation folks hovering all around the pool with stalls,sound installations all around.
I believe the reason why one books a premium property is to enjoy its facilities, its hospitality as much as to enjoy a well appointed luxurious room.
Sorry to say, but all of it was missing from the Taj Samudra. The only person, who tried to make it up to us, was their guest relationship person, Niranjali, who presented our 5 year old with chocolates and we do appreciate her gesture, but never again am I staying with the Taj.
Overpriced, ageing without grace and cold, with fake smiles and excuses.
For food, we had a very decent meal at "Dine More", and another great meal at "Raja Bhojun" at the Liberty Arcade. (Its shifted from its old location and is worthy of a visit), fantastic thai at "Royal Thai" at the Cinnamon Lakeside but the best food was at "The Baverian", a 2 min walk from the Taj.. beautiful food served in huge helpings. We totally relished it!

Room Tip: The Cinnamon Lakeside looked much better..
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank vipinmishra
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This happens to be the best Hotel in Colombo. The best location ( overlooking the furious Sea), great architecture, well appointed rooms, good service and very very decent food. Everything stand out. My only observation. It just does not seem to be a Taj. The opulence that we have come to associate with Taj properties is just about missing here. If you do forget for a minute that this is a Taj property, you will Appreciate the hotel much better.
BTW, the cute little towel elephants that housekeeping keeps on your bed are so so adorable

Room Tip: Take the sea facing rooms. Slightly higher tariff, but worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business