“Almost the perfect hotel”
Review of Hilton Colombo

Hilton Colombo
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We used the Colombo Hilton as our first hotel after arriving in Sri Lanka, for a three night stay. We were due to attend a wedding at the nearby Galle Face Hotel, before staying at four other hotels around the country for our holiday.

The Colombo Hilton was almost perfect. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Even though we were only there for three nights, the staff (particularly at reception, the liftman and at the Executive Lounge) made a real effort to chat to us and seemed genuinely interested in our plans.

The Executive Lounge is small, but perfectly equipped, and the views are stupendous.

We were given an Executive Room overlooking the port side at first. An interesting view, but we really wanted to overlook the sea, and so a few moments later we were swiftly moved into a room overlooking the sea.

The room was normal sized, and had all normal facilities. My slight criticism is that the room was more traditional than the usual Hilton brand would suggest,, but pleasant nonetheless.

The real highlight of this hotel is the facilities. It has everything on site, including a gym, outdoor swimming pool and massage rooms (accessible via a short bridge), a beauty salon, a few shops for essentials and for souvenirs, and a number of restaurants.

It was at the main restaurant (where you also have your buffet breakfast) that we found this hotel's main attraction. The breakfast contained a lot of choice - juices, breads, sri lankan and western cooked breakfasts, japanese food, pastries. The evening choice here is also a buffet, and contains such a wide and interesting selection of food, that put together with a choice of six other restaurants, you will never get round to eating everything, no matter how many times you dine here!

All in all, I could not fault it.

Having attended the wedding at the Galle Face Hotel, I would recommend the Hilton for its facilities. If it is a more traditional and colonial atmosphere that you would prefer, then the Galle Face Hotel is better.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,195)

Reviewed 25 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a whole week in December. I have never had such good service in a hotel - it was fantastic. The choice of seven in-house retaurants just added to the experience. The room was good and the breakfast was enough to set you up for the day (buffet of all types of hot and cold food). The staff in this hotel were just fantastic; they really know how to deliver a good service with a genuine smile!. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone using Colombo as a base for touring Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here for the final night of our honeymoon due to a very early flight out of Colombo the following morning.

The hotel is very nice - a very spacious foyer area gives the hotel a very elegant and welcoming feel. Our room was on the 12th floor with a great view of the harbour. The room had everything you would need, including wireless access for laptops if required.

There are about 10-12 restaurants on the premises leaving absolutely no shortage of choice for food. As we had been good for the whole holiday we decided to dine in the pub! The service was very attentive (as everywhere else in Sri Lanka) and the food was more than acceptably priced for we chose.

The hotel staff in general were excellent - couldn't do enough for us. Our only two gripes were that when we enquired about a taxi to the airport we were initially given only one option by the receptionist (the Hilton taxi at 4800 rupees (about £25)), yet when we checked later with the concierge he happily arranged for a privcate taxi to be booked for us at 2800 rupees (£15). And secondly the gym/pool/spa is not actually on the premises but over the road which can be accessed via a pedestrian bridge.

Considering the hotel is 5 star I thought the price was very reasonable and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank proudy74
Reviewed 7 September 2008

I had two one night stays at the Hilton Colombo. The first night was coming in from Qatar. I took an arranged taxi in from the Airport. My room was a basic room, with a view of the busy harbour. I had dinner outside at the Sri Lankan restaurant - very helpful wait staff there. I was taking the train up to Kandy the next day, and the hotel was only a 2 block walk from the station.

As I was coming back in 3 days, I arranged for my bag to be stored and laundry to be done. This was taken care of with a smile.

Upon my return 2 days later, I was at the hotel at 9:30 am, expecting not to be able to check in until later. They were happy to check me in, to the club floor! :) (I am only a mere silver with Hilton)

Had dinner in the club with a number of other people staying in the hotel -- we closed it down around 11 pm. Great views and staff.

Rooms were large and clean. The executive room had upgraded amenities.

When I go back to Colombo, I am sure to stay at the Hilton again!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank briantoronto
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Great hotel. Reasonably priced for what you get.

Good rooms and helpful staff.

One niggle was the "tour" we took using one of the hotel drivers took us to a "Gem Museum" really a high pressure sales shop and also ceramics shop etc etc. We finally ended the tour early because of this - the drivers are on commission...

Also, no free internet - when staying at the Hilton, I'd expect this to be packaged into the price.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank orangesteel
Reviewed 23 July 2008

Hilton Colombo starts by impressing you in the main hall - it's massive and very well decorated.
Check in went allong smoothly, and the staff couldn't be nicer.
Bedrooms are not very big, but not too small, it's basicly a city hotel, so size is well ajusted. The bathrooms are a bit tiny and the overal decoration of the bedroom and bathroom seam a litle worn out, so for the bedroom I'll only rate 4*.
Food is great, though it tends to be very spicy... hask first what's less spicy, because there's always a lot to offer during meals so you can defnetly choose what suits you more.
Staff all arround are extremely friendly and helpfull, and all the common areas are of excelent taste.
What can be found missing in the bedroom for a 5* is well compensated in every thing else. It would be rated 5* all arround Europe.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Gomes
Reviewed 15 May 2008

I had previously stayed at the Taj Sumadra several times but decided to try the Hilton for a change. I am glad I did. The rooms are better, the restaurants are superb and the gardens are beautiful.

On the downside, the gym facilities are poor and room service expensive.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business