“Good place to stay in Colombo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Whitehouse Residencies

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Whitehouse Residencies
Ranked #27 of 131 Colombo B&B and Inns
“Good place to stay in Colombo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Nice accomodation with friendly and attentive staff. We had a very big and clean room with good bed and balcony. The hotel is located some kilometers south of the old town which can be easily reached by bus. Breakfast was good and plenty.

No need to book the airport shuttle service - it's just a public taxi that is much cheaper if you hire it yourself, which is easy at the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Weltensprinter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I spent very nice time in that hotel. Hotel staff is so friendly and helpful, whatever I asked for, they provided it to me.
Spacious clean rooms, nice design, big breakfast room (you can use the kitchen through out the day)
The breakfast is being served once you ask for it-very personal approach.
I enjoyed time spent there

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anitaa31
Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights (1st and last night in Sri Lanka) in this amazing hotel well located in Colombo, but in a quiet street which ensure a good night of sleep after a long flight. When I got to the hotel, it was 6 a.m. so my room was not available yet, but the hotel employee still offer me breakfast and let me check in earlier at 11 a.m. which was convenient since I really needed to sleep a little bit and to have a shower before starting my visit of Colombo. The room was big and luxurious for the price I paid, clean, 2 free bottles of water, good a/c, wi fi, etc. For my second breakfast, I was able to get a Sri Lankan breakfast which was really amazing! Also, the staff borrowed me an electric adaptor to plug my appliances which I used during my entire trip which I returned my last day in Sri Lanka. The day of my departure, even if I checked out at noon, I was able to use another room to have a shower before getting to the airport at night. The hotel staff was always available to provide information and recommendations about the city. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PhilQc
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We had only a 1 night stay in May but found the Whitehouse to be an excellent choice. It was located just off a main road but there was no traffic noise. The room was very clean with good bathroom and the breakfast was a small selection but very fresh and tasty. The staff were very helpful and gave us good tips on how to get about town on the tuk-tuks. The only problem was that the air con took a long time to cool the room as they ask you to turn it off when you go out and it was a very hot Colombo day. We had an enjoyable stay with good value for money so we can give it a good recommendation.!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmgar
Bursa, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This is a new property in a convenient location. There are many restaurants and shops around.

The rooms are large. The staff is very friendly and they are always ready to help whenever you ask for. Thats the best pro of this hotel.

The breakfast is ok. You can choose from omelette, scrambled eggs or traditional Sri Lankan breakfast. They will also serve you fresh fruits and some preserves.

The cons are, there'rr no A/Cs in the public areas of the hotel as well as the breakfast hall. So as the wether is always hot and humid here, its really unconvenient. Also he housekeeping turns of your A/C everytime they enter the room and a very hot room welcomes you at the end of the day. This is not supposed to happen in a hotel. And the noise from the A/C motors is really crazy. Its really disturbing at night time. They shall be repaired or moved farther.

So these are really important points to be improved but overall its good value for money.

I can recommend this hotel to travellers looking for a budget hotel. If you look for a 5 star, the minimum rate designated by the government is USD 165++

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank UmutA
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Samantha was a wonderful host at this small guesthouse. The rooms are basic but clean and well presented and the food was delicious (coconut veggie rice was amazing). In terms of service, Samantha went out of his way to help me see the sights in the local area and also with ensuring my onward journey was successful. Service here is excellent. I had a lovely, peaceful and relaxing time at Whitehouse and would definitely recommend to family and friends. Nothing to fault at this place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WishImay
Ruhrpott
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

While there are plenty of hotels in Colombo and several more top class ones are currently being built (mainly near the Galle Face area) most of them seemed rather big and thus we ended up finding the Whitehouse Residencies as a nice smaller alternative. We did not really know what to expect but for 2 nights before going to the airport we more or less only needed a decent place to sleep. We were amazed how big and nice the rooms and the public areas were! Outside our room was a small seating area with 3 tables for breakfast, suppose this was the case on every floor.. You could use the kitchen to get plates and cutlery for e.g. take-away food which was a perfect choice for us in the evening with a tired 20-month-old toddler sleeping next door! The balcony was also fine, although the city view (towards a neighboring hotel) can’t compete with any of the beach or countryside hotels we stayed in during our trip.. The staff was friendly but at the same time very discreet, this is one of the hotels that makes you feel like a true resident for a few days. Breakfast was fine, average continental selection of bread, juice, tea/coffee etc.

Make sure to have the address of the hotel properly written down if you need to take a taxi or tuk-tuk from the train station or even from the airport as the place obviously is not know to all drivers. The surrounding area looked ok with a few supermarkets and restaurants, but due to our short stay we mostly took a tuk-tuk to go somewhere and did not explore the vicinity much.
If you like busy markets, don’t miss the Pettah area in the morning hours! And Galle Face Green during sunset is also a must see although it may seem a bit dull at first during daytime. Lots of people and especially cute school children will arrive in time for the sunset and this is a great experience!

On another note: opinions wether or not to include Colombo in a Sri Lankan holiday seem to differ a lot, we read in other reviews that it is noisy and dirty and travellers were advised to stay away - but: we would have regretted to miss this city as it offers a lot of nice things to see and do! For us it was the perfect end to the holiday, but maybe it is not an ideal starting point, especially if you are not an experienced traveller... (for a few relaxing days to begin your holiday we can recommend Negombo whose beach is a lot nicer than its reputation!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family