“Professional Hotel with Friendly Service”
Review of Pearl Grand Hotel

Pearl Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Whist currently on 12 months sabbatical from a hospitality related role, I recently stayed at the Pearl Grand Motel and could not stop myself assessing from both a tourist and a professional perspective. Whilst not the most opulent of streets, a bit of road works in place, it is well positioned just off Galle Road and very close to good shopping facilities and other places to visit. From the moment of entering the hotel I was blown away by the warm friendly service of all staff, without exception. The room we stayed on was on the 8th floor and was well designed and maintained and actually after the hub bub of the city, I didn't want to leave...albeit the rooftop pool and complementary foot massage were well and truly calling my name. The room facilities and in room menu were spot on and I think offered good value (as did the spa menu), especially compared with other hotels in the area (of which I had stayed in one the previous night). The roof top pool was great, with nice outlook over surrounding areas, especially at night. I provided some feedback to the Hotel Manager with respect to their website and the response I got, demonstrated to me even more that their is a keen commitment to ensure the Pearl Grand continues to build on what is already a wonderful experience for travelers (business or leisure). If there were two quick suggestions I would make, they would be increase offering in in mini bar (perhaps some food snacks) and maybe be clear on the fact that this is a halal hotel i.e. no alcohol.

Room Tip: Higher rooms get good view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sam-Gorringe
There are newer reviews for Pearl Grand Hotel

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Its a wonderful place to stay when you are at Colombo. I stayed there twice in my previous visits and must say that the place is clean and value for money. rooms are well kept with cleaned carpets and curtains. the reception however should smile a bit more and sound more customer friendly. the hotel staff uses lot of words like 'you have to' which disturbed me as a customer.
However, hoping that the management will address this issue separately, i will surely want to stay here again. they are CCCC - Clean, Convenient, Cozy and Complete.

Room Tip: they also help you by booking online through mail communication and arrange for pick up and drop. th...
1  Thank siddheshwar1009
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I liked the cleanliness of the room and the great varieties of breakfast. It is of all Indian, continental and sri lankan varieties. I did not know what to chose and what to lose. Really great in
breakfast. People in the reception are not so great. They really forget to smile. I just asked a travel charger in the reception. While I was talking to one person, another person voluntarily involved in the conversation and said there were no Travel Chargers in the reception for guests.
And this same person also intervened while our check-in Procedure. As there were complimentary coupons for Guests for the foot massage, this guy cut short the conversation in the middle and said there is only one coupon for one room, eventhough they are two guests for the room. Ridiculous behaviour. It is not the policy I want to criticize, It is the attitude and behaviour I wanted to point out. As they do not have any name badges, I was not able to write the name. But I liked the hotel for my pleasant sleeping quality, atmosphere,food,location etc....

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are for the Aerial View.
1  Thank mondyKarur
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I just finished a nine day say here on business and traveling alone. The room was slightly small, but it was otherwise perfect. It was thoughtfully outfitted with every convenience I can think of. It was extremely clean, smoke free and the carpets and curtains seemed new or recently cleaned. It was extraordinary quiet and I felt extremely safe. The pool and restaurant were okay. To me it was fairly priced.

Only one objection: the entrance is slightly up a side street. The side street also has a Chinese restaurant and the garbage of the Chinese restaurant sometimes fouls the side street. If I were the owners of the Pearl Grand I would try hosing down the side street every early morning. Cars and The three wheelers rush up and down the side street making the very short walk slightly treacherous. Another idea would be for the hotel to make a crosswalk in front of the hotel routing their patrons through their sister hotel next door, then out on the street. If I had children I would think twice about staying here if it was going to involve me walking up that side street with them. I will stay in this hotel when I next return to Sri Lanka.

2  Thank MackTennyson
Reviewed 26 January 2014

it's the second time that I am in Pearl Grand Colombo and I will definitely come back next time. loction is good, hotel well maintained, rooms and bathrooms are nice and very clean. pool on the rooftop with nice view. very friendly and helpful staff. restaurant is good, but loves to serve spicey food. as I cannot eat that, I got good help from the supervisor Mr. Damitha. also very friendly and helpful Mr. Assangk.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gertrud H
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotel was absolutely horrible. The rooms are very small and do not feel clean at all. Dirty marks on the walls and overall feeling of it being only half cleaned after the last guest left. The service was very poor. Even the basic things could not be taken care of in a timely matter , and when asked to speak to a manager, they are even worse than the staff!
The location is not one where you feel safe walking around outside, the restaurant and lobby are crummy, and if I hadn't prepaid I would have left immediately. I travel a lot and value feeling safe and comfortable in a hotel, but this place was a total disaster. Better pay a little more and get triple the value in a 5 star hotel in Colombo. Next time I will definately go back to the Hilton!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MK1182
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have to travel quite frequently due to business and embassy visits, thus we always try to find a hotel in good location. Pearl Grand hotel has a great location, as it gives you easy access to the Main Road, as well as it is just a few minutes away from the German Embassy, which was the main reason in the first place, why we had chosen this hotel. It was our first time at the hotel and my partner traveled to Colombo 1 night earlier than me, as I still had to work. We had requested for a double bed prior to our stay, but once my partner arrived and was taken to the room, he saw 2 twin beds. He asked the staff, but as per them the hotel was full for that night, however, they would arrange a double bed for the next night which was my arrival day.
My partner fetched me from the airport and when we finally arrived at the hotel it was already past 23hrs since we had met a few friends first. Surprise surprise, there were still 2 single beds, one on each side. We were too tired and it was too late to complain, thus we left the beds as they were and made the best out of it.
We went for the breakfast next morning which was pretty average for me, however, the coffee still tasted better than it usually does in various places in Sri Lanka.
The hotel itself is a Muslim hotel, hence you will not find any alcohol at the bar or in the minibar, which was not that big of a deal for us.
We once went on the roof top terrace were we saw the nice pool and had a great overview of Colombo and took plenty of pictures.
All in all, the hotel is a good choice if you do not want to spend too much money on a hotel and want to be in close proximity to the Main Road.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business