US$150
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$239/night.

US$172
US$111
US$195
Taj Hotels
1,983 results
All reviewssky loungeharbour courtocean restaurantsri lankahigh teaport citydutch hospitalrooftop barchinese restaurantluxury hotelseafoodindian oceangalle facebreakfast buffet issea viewbeautiful hotelpool side
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is very reasonably priced, and in an excellent location. Would certainly recommend staying here. The reception experience is the only thing that lets it down, once you get past that, and again at the end - everything else if fantastic. Breakfast is great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Craig M
Jessica L, General Manager at The Kingsbury Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for sharing your review of The Kingsbury on Trip Advisor, as well as you recommending The Kingsbury to your friends, family and colleagues.

The hotels’ reception is very full at most times – you are right about stating so. However, it is merely because the hotel is filled with guests who stay and dine at The Kingsbury. We are working on providing our guests with a hassle-less check in and stay. So the next time you visit us, your experience will be hassle free and worry less.

I would appreciate it if you could send us your email address or contact The Kingsbury Public Relations department at amccpr@thekingsburyhotel.com. You could also contact me at gm@thekingsburyhotel.com.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Kingsbury for one night as we had some business to attend to in Colombo. We wanted to relax as much as possible and have some fun whilst there.

First impressions were good, check-in easy and fast-ish. The room was 4 star rather than 5...some of the updates had not been done too well so that the older fittings (from it's Continental days) were still visible. We needed to ring for additional bath robes etc. as the room was obviously meant for single occupancy. Still, all in all it was fine. Great comfortable bed and the minibar wasn't too shockingly expensive. The Bulgari bathroom products were luscious.

On exploration of the hotel I found it to be quite informal downstairs which made for a nice atmosphere. However, this all changed when we ventured up to the Sky Lounge Bar. Firstly, my other half was turned down for wearing shorts (ok no problem, quick dash back to change into jeans)...second attempt fine. We were told it was happy hour - not buy one get one free as advertised between 6 & 7pm but 35% off the bill. Ok, fine. Two margeritas - they tasted watery and spineless...never mind we drank them and enjoyed the tremendous view of Galle Face and the Indian Ocean. This is the about the only good thing about this bar and it is stunning. Subsequently a load of "tourists" came in wearing not only shorts but some of the women were wearing skimpy beachwear. Not an issue for them to gain entry. I found this unfair (my other half is Sri Lankan) so we decided to leave. We were presented with a hefty 2,500 rupees bill for 2 margeritas. More than advertised on the menu (Rs 750 each!) and without the 35% discount. I mentioned the obvious mistake to an extremely arrogant (and seemingly incompetent) barman and was told to sit and wait for the manager who would be back "soon". This can mean anything between 1 minute and 1 hour in Sri Lanka ;-). I was pretty pissed off at this point so we just paid and left.

We then went downstairs to the Kings pub where we were openly welcomed, given lovely snacks and 4 free tequila shots because they had a tequila promotion night. What a difference!! It made up for the previous disappointment at the Sky Lounge Bar. We missed dinner because we had so much fun in the bar so we ordered room service much later which didn't take long to arrive and was very tasty and also affordable. A wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank easternisle

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Kingbury and most importantly, thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay. I was satisfied whilst reading the initial comments on your post, taking into understanding that you had not experienced any shortcomings. However, it saddened me to read that the relaxed and fun-filled stay you expected to experience at the hotel was derelict due to the inefficient service you seemed to have encountered. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and, rest assured, the necessary measures will be taken immediately in order to rectify such inconveniences to guests in future. Thus, I hope you would give The Kingsbury another chance to prove we are better than that.

I am glad that you enjoyed The Kings Bar and concluded to a much enjoyed stay. This gives me a slight relief, however not a complete one as I really wish to give you a much better experience the next time you visit us.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Being a Hotelier myself,I can be very finicky and particular.On a short holiday with my spouse and 11 year old son,I can only say I was floored by the awesome services of the hotel staff.Check-in was smooth and the Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.Rooms are small compared to older hotels in Colombo ...but they made up this deficiency with an unbelievable spread for breakfast and an unbelievable view from the room.
Breakfast Restaurant service needs to improve...dirty tables are not cleaned as fast as they should be...staff seems to be adequate...perhaps they need to be told to do things a little faster.
All in all , an excellent stay and look forward to repeating it soon.

Room Tip: The sea-view Rooms are what you should book
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Manoj P

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Kingsbury.

We are happy to read your pleasant comments, particularly on the excellent service and food. The team will be very pleased too. Rest assured, your comment on the slow process of cleaning the tables will be worked on immediately and I thank you very much for pointing it out in a constructive manner.

I am glad to read that your will be visiting us again and I certainly hope that day will be soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Luxury modern hotel in a great location: by the sea and near Galle Face. Impressive lobby, comfortable rooms but small in size, nice decor and great food. . .
Location – excellent sea front property. Our room had an ocean/swimming-pool view.
The Rooms - well appointed rooms with comfortable beds, a bit small in size. Very clean. The Bvlgari toiletries in the bathroom were a nice touch.
The rooms are cozy and have all the expected amenities.
Restaurants – The buffet has all type of cuisines with lots of variety. We had dinner in the main restaurant and was very good. The service was good.
The free Wifi. works all over the hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank vmimartins

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

I am truly happy to read your nice comments, and wish to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay at The Kingsbury. It delights me to read that The Kingsbury team has succeeded in providing you with a pleasant experience. We always hope our guests enjoy the comforts and luxuries of the hotel and never experience any shortcomings.

My team and I anticipate welcoming you again to The Kingsbury, which we hope will be in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Colombo and this has, by far, been the best of all of them.
The hotel is fabulously situated on galle face road, directly facing the sea. The lobby is awe striking and is very elegant and British. The checking process was smooth, i had booked via Expedia and was upgraded to a superior room, free of charge. Loved that!
The rooms are just the right size, with a big screen LED TV and the bathroom is very contemporarily designed. And the best part, they offer Bvlgari (luxury) toiletries!!! I was so impressed with that. Even the teas and coffees provided were of superior quality. 5 stars for that.
On small thing that impressed me even more was that the pens and pads in the rooms were good quality gold plated ones instead of regular pencils that you see everywhere. Nice touch!

The breakfast spread was humungous and the view was just spectacular.
Overall, i was happy staying here and would recommend this over cinnamon, Hilton etc.

Room Tip: As for direct sea facing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

We are so proud to have been able to give you a wonderful and memorable stay at The Kingsbury, and thank you for sharing your fabulous experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you also for your wonderful comments regarding our service, decore food and luxury amenities. We realize that personalized service is what will keep our guests coming back to The Kingsbury, and the little significant things are those that complement their pleasant experiences. Thank you so much for recommending The Kingsbury and making us proud of being true Kingsburians!

We would love to see you again at The Kingsbury, and hope it will be very soon.