“Luxury in Colombo”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
London, England, United Kingdom
“Luxury in Colombo”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel isn't much to look at from the outside but as soon as you step in it's different. Grand with chandeliers, marble floors, musicians playing in the evening and dining room views of the sea. The room are extremely cosy with thick carpet and furniture. It has the most comfortable beds I've slept in with subtle details such as noritake crokery and bulgari soaps, it's a designer hotel. The gym facilities are slightly poor with this hotel and it's was the only thing I was disappointed as there was a lack of variety in equipment. However the jacuzzi made up for this by being in a quiet location with mood lighting. I spent a lot of time in the hotels pool as it over looks the ocean, its an amazing view but it slightly ruined by there being a road running between the two. I had a buffet breakfast every day I was here and it must not be missed, the spread is extremly large with fruit, cereal, freshly made waffles & crepes with additional english, south indian and sri lankan sections. The hotel also has a rooftop bar with views of the whole strip.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MissRP007
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, 6 December 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

We really enjoyed reading your wonderful comments about The Kingsbury and a warm thank you from our entire team.

We loved having you with us, and there is nothing more motivating than knowing that we have been successful in giving you an exceptional stay at The Kingsbury. We have noted your other comments as well, and will make every effort to improve wherever possible and necessary.

We would really love to see you again at The Kingsbury.

Regards,
Sunil Dissanayake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 4 September 2013

rooms are perfectly done.this hotel is recently opened, so everything in the room are new and fresh. extra comfortable bed. food is ok, internet is free and fast. heavily packed buffer dinner. location of the hotel is another attraction. during my stay for almost 5 days, i found the hotel is always packed with visitors. so i found there aren't enough hotel staff to take care of at the breakfast and dinner. i found room access key they provide is not that good, 2-3 times i had to get it redone. but overall, i strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for Sea facing room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Jessica L, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, 23 September 2013

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

You have enjoyed your stay at The Kingsbury, and that is the best response we could ask for. Thank you for a wonderful review and your recommendation.

We are so pleased that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable, and that you that you were pleased with the ambiance of the hotel as well as the services provided for you. I noticed a few inconveniences you had encountered and I guarantee that the relevant steps have been taken in order to eradicate such situations in future. Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced.

I would appreciate it if you could send us your email address or contact The Kingsbury Public Relations department at amccpr@thekingsburyhotel.com. You could also contact me at gm@thekingsburyhotel.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsbury.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Spent a night at the Hotel for my Wedding Anniversary and was a memorable experience. Received a warm greeting at the reception and was asked to sit while everything was being arranged and was brought to me (unlike other places where we'd have to stand).
Room had been decorated but my wife and i were given an additional suprise when we entered as the House Keeping had made an additional touch with 2 beautiful swans as a heart on the bed, made with white cloth. That's not something you experience at every Hotel and its nice to see such talent amongst the hotel staff at all levels.
Room architecture being that of the Hotel was of a Royal theme, very grande and classy yet cozy at the same time with a great sea view, not very spacious but the whole ambiance and layout of the room made it a lovely stay.
Staff are very friendly but would need to improve on the service (attending to the guests more promptly, especially in the dining areas) but i must say that the few times after that i've visited i can see an improvement in the service. I can see this place setting new standards in the Hotel industry in the months to come.
Food is lovely with a wide range to select from be it the buffet or A la carte.
Overall a wonderful experience and a must visit should anyone decide to spend a few days in the City of Colombo.

Room Tip: All rooms have the same high standards, just the view changes either the Sea and Harbor view OR Sea...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Your lovely comments have made the entire Kingsbury team very happy. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Giving you a very personal experience is what we are well known for at The Kingsbury, and we are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comment on service improvement will be resolved in order to provide our guests with the best service in the hospitality industry. So when you visit us again your experience will have doubled in perfection.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Kingsbury for 2 nights from the 22nd to the 24th of August. We are frequent visitors to Sri Lanka and Colombo as we have a villa in Galle.We have tried many hotels in Colombo but have never stayed at the Kinsbury.When we arrived at the hotel the staff were welcoming and friendly. We were told that our superior room was not ready and they offered us a free lunch.While we sat at lunch I realised my booking with Agoda was for a executive room, This has happened to us in the past booking on line ,so always good to check you are getting what you payed for.When I brought this to there attention there was no problem or any issue and they apologised. The Buffet lunch was good with plenty of options.Our room , for a executive room was fairly small but adequate with a pleasent view of the pool and ocean.The bathroom also was very small and only a shower no bath tub, you would expect a bath in a executive room. The staff at the executive lounge were profesional and very friendly.The pool area and surounding was inviting and friendly.This hotel is right next to the newlly renovated Dutch hospital ,with live bands,pubs,great resturants and shops.You can also go for a lovely ocean view walk along the Galle face green.In summing up the staff at this hotel are very friendly,The pool area is great, it is a clean and welcoming, Great location,a few good resturants at the Dutch hospital such as the Ministry of Crab & Semonu (tastey Aussie Steaks).The down side is the rooms,could be slightly bigger and better equippped.A good 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raider5859

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

It is fabulous to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us at The Kingsbury. Thank you for some very kind comments regarding your stay.

I too would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during the check in. Nevertheless, I am pleased that my team gave you little or no worry regarding the matter. I am indeed a proud team leader with staff I surely can rely on. They too were very pleased after having read your entire comment regarding your stay.

I wish to state that although our rooms are considered small in size, we have supplied each room with the most luxurious and internationally branded amenities, grand and classical décor as well as a tantalizing view which distinguishes The Kingsbury to be a five star luxury hotel.

So come again very soon and visit us at The Kingsbury.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is very reasonably priced, and in an excellent location. Would certainly recommend staying here. The reception experience is the only thing that lets it down, once you get past that, and again at the end - everything else if fantastic. Breakfast is great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig M

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for sharing your review of The Kingsbury on Trip Advisor, as well as you recommending The Kingsbury to your friends, family and colleagues.

The hotels’ reception is very full at most times – you are right about stating so. However, it is merely because the hotel is filled with guests who stay and dine at The Kingsbury. We are working on providing our guests with a hassle-less check in and stay. So the next time you visit us, your experience will be hassle free and worry less.

Sri Lanka
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Kingsbury for one night as we had some business to attend to in Colombo. We wanted to relax as much as possible and have some fun whilst there.

First impressions were good, check-in easy and fast-ish. The room was 4 star rather than 5...some of the updates had not been done too well so that the older fittings (from it's Continental days) were still visible. We needed to ring for additional bath robes etc. as the room was obviously meant for single occupancy. Still, all in all it was fine. Great comfortable bed and the minibar wasn't too shockingly expensive. The Bulgari bathroom products were luscious.

On exploration of the hotel I found it to be quite informal downstairs which made for a nice atmosphere. However, this all changed when we ventured up to the Sky Lounge Bar. Firstly, my other half was turned down for wearing shorts (ok no problem, quick dash back to change into jeans)...second attempt fine. We were told it was happy hour - not buy one get one free as advertised between 6 & 7pm but 35% off the bill. Ok, fine. Two margeritas - they tasted watery and spineless...never mind we drank them and enjoyed the tremendous view of Galle Face and the Indian Ocean. This is the about the only good thing about this bar and it is stunning. Subsequently a load of "tourists" came in wearing not only shorts but some of the women were wearing skimpy beachwear. Not an issue for them to gain entry. I found this unfair (my other half is Sri Lankan) so we decided to leave. We were presented with a hefty 2,500 rupees bill for 2 margeritas. More than advertised on the menu (Rs 750 each!) and without the 35% discount. I mentioned the obvious mistake to an extremely arrogant (and seemingly incompetent) barman and was told to sit and wait for the manager who would be back "soon". This can mean anything between 1 minute and 1 hour in Sri Lanka ;-). I was pretty pissed off at this point so we just paid and left.

We then went downstairs to the Kings pub where we were openly welcomed, given lovely snacks and 4 free tequila shots because they had a tequila promotion night. What a difference!! It made up for the previous disappointment at the Sky Lounge Bar. We missed dinner because we had so much fun in the bar so we ordered room service much later which didn't take long to arrive and was very tasty and also affordable. A wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank easternisle

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Kingbury and most importantly, thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay. I was satisfied whilst reading the initial comments on your post, taking into understanding that you had not experienced any shortcomings. However, it saddened me to read that the relaxed and fun-filled stay you expected to experience at the hotel was derelict due to the inefficient service you seemed to have encountered. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and, rest assured, the necessary measures will be taken immediately in order to rectify such inconveniences to guests in future. Thus, I hope you would give The Kingsbury another chance to prove we are better than that.

I am glad that you enjoyed The Kings Bar and concluded to a much enjoyed stay. This gives me a slight relief, however not a complete one as I really wish to give you a much better experience the next time you visit us.

Dubai
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Being a Hotelier myself,I can be very finicky and particular.On a short holiday with my spouse and 11 year old son,I can only say I was floored by the awesome services of the hotel staff.Check-in was smooth and the Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.Rooms are small compared to older hotels in Colombo ...but they made up this deficiency with an unbelievable spread for breakfast and an unbelievable view from the room.
Breakfast Restaurant service needs to improve...dirty tables are not cleaned as fast as they should be...staff seems to be adequate...perhaps they need to be told to do things a little faster.
All in all , an excellent stay and look forward to repeating it soon.

Room Tip: The sea-view Rooms are what you should book
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Manoj P

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Kingsbury.

We are happy to read your pleasant comments, particularly on the excellent service and food. The team will be very pleased too. Rest assured, your comment on the slow process of cleaning the tables will be worked on immediately and I thank you very much for pointing it out in a constructive manner.

I am glad to read that your will be visiting us again and I certainly hope that day will be soon.