“Luxurious indeed”

Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Colombo
Bengaluru, India
“Luxurious indeed”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Hotel gives us warming welcome - fruits, cookies and chocolates in room. View from room was good , I really like interior of room - u can see royal style of room n bathroom . Sky bar is impressive too

Room Tip: Choose superior room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at The Kingsbury during your last visit.

Your appreciation and recognition of the hotel, along with your positive comments, is a great motivator for The Kingsbury team.

We would appreciate if you will continue to be a valued guest at our hotel and should you require my personal attention for any of your needs at the hotel, please email on gm@thekingsburyhotel.com

The Kingsbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed in Kingsbury for 3 nights in the end of our 3 weeks holiday in Sri Lanka. We were very satisfied with the hotel and service they provided. The room was not very big, but it was basic room type, and it was all we needed, very clean, silent and extremely comfortable. Nice pool and beautiful view from Skybar. The breakfast and dinner buffet (Harbour court) was over the top with amazing variety of delicious foods. We reserved day trip to Kandy via hotels travelagency and everything went smoothly. If you are looking a bit of luxury in a reasonable price in western standards, we highly recommend to stay there while being in Colombo.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snttu

Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Kingsbury is a luxury hotel ! It isn't palatial but it is equipped with the amenities to give you a regal experience.

The rooms and bathrooms are small but the interiors are exquisitely detailed. Luxury products like BVLGARI toiletries, choicest wines etc. are a delight for a tired traveller in the last leg of their trip.

Service was absolutely superb. Housekeeping was done twice a day (morning and evening); maybe even at noon but we were never available in the room at that time , so can't vouch for it !

As for the food, we had buffet breakfast and dinner on all three days. The spread was fantastic and it probably took us all three days to taste what was on offer ! However as concerns the taste, there may be some scope for improvement.
We tried the high tea on our last day and absolutely loved it !

The dining area needs a special mention as it is beautifully done with a glass facade to create a feeling of space and give clear view of the harbour and the pool.

For those of you who aren't on a business trip, the hotel has a well equipped gym facing the shore, a Swimming pool and an In-house Spa. What makes the experience special is the courteous staff who give you their utmost attention.

All in all, a very memorable stay !

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms overlooking the beach and the road as opposed to the harbour, however this is a v...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poulomichoudhuri

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Too many black jackets standing around doing nothing.

Need to ask for coffee every morning. When you need to ask for coffee on your 4th morning there AGAIN, you'll be frustrated too.
Associates running around trying to cope during breakfast and black jackets still standing.

No greeting from associates (except from the doorman, 1 guy we met in the lift and 1 more we bumped into at the buffet. 3 out of like 40 associates that we met...)

Associates dont wear nametags (weird)

Room service: No order repitition, no "is there anything else i can assist you with?" Even McD's has better order taking procedures.

Asked a GRO for assistance and the manager stepped in, however he had no smile, and was so abrupt and left as quickly as he came. How annoying!
The GRO was nice enough though. She asked me whether I had gotten the answers that I needed before I left the lobby.

Check in was horrible. They just stand there and tidy up their desk before they look up and say, "Checking in?" No greeting, no smile.
Check out was horrible, no "how was your stay?" no "hope to see you again". Not even a "thank you"!

A luxury hotel would have noticed upon check in that I was female, and corrected the registration to Ms from Mr. Of course they didnt, and my bill still stated Mr upon check out.
A luxury hotel would also ask guests where they are going when they ask for a map and then warn guests about the touts and give them some travel advice...
For a self-proclaimed 'luxury' hotel, the service is 3 star at best.

Oh, and whatever everyone else said about the noise is true. Rooftop bar, associates talking loudly in the hallway, housephones ringing...

The hotel itself is very nice though. Love the room, bathroom, and bed.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are noise due to the rooftop bar.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We only stayed one night and it was fine. Just another large hotel with fairly small rooms. Staff friendly, very clean rooms, location good so no complaints. Very busy lobby area. We didn't use any of the facilities but the pool area looked a bit sterile. Room service was prompt and food acceptable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Very modern, extremely clean and truly excellent fish restaurant. The hotel lacks atmosphere and the service ( even for a couple who have been visiting and working in Sri Lanka for nearly 15 years) was so slow that we wondered if we had simply been forgotten. The room was very comfortable

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kingsburylk, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Firstly, I wish to thank you for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed The Ocean, our seafood restaurant, the luxury outlook of the hotel and the comforts of our rooms.

Your feedback is of great importance to us and your concerns regarding the service of our staff will be regarded as priority in the generation of the hotels' services.

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor. My team and I hope you will visit us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsbury.

Rest assured, your next visit to the hotel will be a whole new experience!

Best regards,

Sunil Dissanayake.
riyadh
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were in Colombo for our good friend's wedding in December-January and were suitably impressed with the photos on the hotel website.

The Good:
Excellent location--right next to commercial and historic heart of Colombo. Stunning sea views. Very clean, cozy, elegant room. Some reviewers have remarked that the rooms are on the small side, but they were just right for us. Lovely public spaces (pool, lobby, restaurants). When we requested a room change, they immediately accommodated us.

The Bad:
Reservations staff did not respond to my email inquiries after I had made the booking. A kind PR lady who came across my email responded to me and forwarded my message to the department concerned, but no reply still. While checked in, when I called to ask about my total bill, the person on the line gave me a price completely different from what my booking indicated. I had to go down and talk to the front desk to straighten out the matter, but they didn't have any idea who could have given me the wrong info. Left my cellphone charger in the initial room they had booked us into (smoking, because the hotel was full). Customer service promised to have the charger delivered to me by 7 am and by 9 am I still didn't have it, despite a few follow-up calls. Housekeeping apologized as they said they were very busy at that time. Upon checkout, I found a telephone charge on my bill despite not having made any calls at all. Since it was only a small amount, I did not argue anymore and just paid for it it.

Hope they can remedy these little issues on the service front as they do add up to a bit of stress on what was otherwise a very nice stay, thanks in great part to the kindness and warmth of Sri Lankan hospitality. I am very much looking forward to going back to and seeing more of this amazing country.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bernizzya
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank you very much for choosing The Kingsbury for your stay during your visit to Sri Lanka. Thank you for your appreciation towards the kind hospitality of Sri Lankans, which indeed makes me proud to say that I am a Sri Lankan.

It is the little things that always matter in the hospitality industry and it upsets me that such little things caused you inconveniences during your stay. I apologize whole heartedly and assure you that these matters will be looked into and rectified immediately in order to provide all our guests with the best luxury experience at The Kingsbury.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. We hope you will visit The Kingsbury when you visit Sri Lanka again as we look forward to welcoming you back, not just once, but many a times more.

Warm regards,