The pluses: This hotel is absolutely stunning and in a good location near the ocean. The view from the Sky Lounge is spectacular. The lobby is very attractive, with black and white marble, fresh flowers and chandeliers. The buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner were spectacular and of good value. The Sri Lankan options were delicious, and I was thrilled to get good cheese and bread, not easy to come by in Southeast Asia. The infinity pool is large and inviting but the temperature of the water could have been a few degrees cooler. As others have mentioned, the view of the ocean from the pool has been obscured by huge boulders, but that is not a real issue. The staffs were very friendly, and the travel desk was very helpful and booked me a reasonably priced car/driver for a one day excursion. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room was more than adequate.
A few minor issues:
1. The hotel asked me upon checkin whether I intended to use the minibar. I told them it was hard to say as I was planning a several day stay. They then locked the minibar because I didn't leave a deposit. I realized the minibar was the only refrigerator in the room and I wanted to use the fridge, so I called housekeeping who unlocked it for me without a deposit. Do they really think that guests who are paying high prices for the rooms are going to abscond without paying for their cokes and mini vodkas? It is ridiculous to lock the minibar and deprive guests of use of the refrigerator.
2. The pool boys never once came and asked me if I wanted to order any drinks or food, even though I spent several hours by the pool each day, over a period of several days. If I wanted anything, I had to get up and walk up the stairs to their station to ask for it. Why not ask the guests if they need anything, while walking by to serve food to the customers?
3. It seemed to me that the security could be beefed up a bit. The pool faces a main road, and there was a lot of traffic going by, including foot traffic, military and civilian vehicles. Nothing really separates the road from the pool, and it seems there is a lack of security there, as the passers by can just stop by the roadside to see the pool action. There should be more privacy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kingsbury Colombo, located in the heart of Colombo city by the banks of the great Indian Ocean, is s really an ode to the golden age of grace and elegance. There are 229 rooms and suites in this regal edifice and all of them face the sea. The Kingsbury Colombo is also business and leisure central with shopping, entertainment, dining, Colombo Stock Exchange, foreign & local banks, World Trade Centre, historical sites as well as recreational parks being just a across the road. The Kingsbury is also just five minutes from the Colombo Central Bus Stand and the Colombo Fort Railway Station. The Kingsbury experience will be a personalized, respectful one where patrons will be treated like royalty in keeping with the promise of bringing back 'good-old fashioned' hospitality. The Kingsbury's Restaurants include The Ocean - seafood restaurant, Harbour Court - international cuisine restaurant, Yue Chuan - Chinese restaurant, The Kings - lobby bar, The Pool Café, The Gourmet Station - patisserie and the epicenter of Colombo night life - Sky Lounge. A fully-equipped gym, spa and 24-hour Business Centre and the Executive Lounge with personalized butlers and concierge services add to the pleasures and comforts of The Kingsbury, Colombo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Southall Travel, Agoda, Prestigia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Kingsbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.