“Comfortable city hotel”

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Colombo
London
“Comfortable city hotel”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after a long flight - good starting point for a tour of Sri Lanka. Comfortable and clean rooms, good dinner in the sea food restaurant, breakfast buffet to the standard expected. Reasonably priced.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Kingsbury, Public Relations Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and compliments !

We hope you enjoyed Sri Lanka too and if you do return, we would love to be your home away from home.

Yours sincerely
Dinithi Somaratne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 19 May 2014

its an excellent property located very well at the tip of the city. food is excellent at the restaurant in the hotel. the coffee shop area is good too. its a convenient hotel in the business area..breathtaking view and awesome swimming pool.

3 Thank KonicaHamlai
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Kingsbury!

Thank for the lovely compliments, it is indeed very inspirational to all of us. Yes, we're indeed in the heart of the city making it very convenient for shopping, entrainment and business.

Thank you choosing The Kingsbury and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely
Dinithi Somaratne
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Sri Lanka, and we weren't sure exactly what to expect. We chose The Kingsbury based on reviews and honestly the picture of the pool on their website. This hotel was so much more than anticipated. Immediate, extra-mile, professional, and friendly service. The hotel itself is VERY well maintained and beautifully decorated. The restaurants served a well-crafted diversity of fare in a variety of relaxing atmospheres. We arrived in Colombo without a tour plan, but the staff at the tour desk were more than willing to expertly direct us to tours that reflected OUR interests versus pushing us to "partner" businesses. I will most definitely choose The Kingsbury again the next time I'm in Colombo. One note on the pool; construction of the new sea wall is blocking the view of the ocean from the pool deck.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jeremy B
Beechworth, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at the Kingsbury in April at the start & finish of our Sri Lankan holiday and absolutely loved it. Arrived in the middle of the night with tired young children - the staff could not have been more helpful. The bed & pillows are superb, the food (particularly Sri Lankan & Indian breakfast) magnificent, location brilliant and we loved the pool & pool staff. Thanks to the team at the Kingsbury - we loved our stay and would recommend it to all

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with sea views
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very good hotel, had a relaxing holiday big room with see view and service is also extra good. We stayed here for my partners b'day and they even organised complimentary cake buy getting knowing it's his

Won't be disappointed by staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anujah G
Singapore
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm writing this review, and giving 1 star to hopefully get the hotels attention. There were many great things about this hotel, but some truly unacceptable, deplorable issues that occurred.

Upon first arrival you are greeted by bellmen and bell staff who do a fantastic job of greeting you and collecting your bags. The check in process was smooth and efficient and we were even walked up to our room by a front desk manager, showing us all aspects of the hotel and our room. This is where the management service and quality stopped, abruptly.

We quickly changed into our bathing suits and headed down to the pool, it had been too many hours in the car for our daughter and she needed out. Upon entering the pool you notice odd double sized stairs that are awkward to walk up and down. Upon further review I realized that these are an architectural design to fill with flower pots, there are other normal stairs around the same area; the hotel has apparently not chosen to maintain the flowers. I watched as one guest misjudged the steps and almost fell down them. The entire pool area is surrounded in polished stone, marble? This is a horrible idea near a pool, the smoothest surface one can imagine in a wet area made for a couple of slips and near falls by me and my daughter full out falling three times, luckily none serious. Finding a chair to sit in we ordered drinks and appetizers. Quickly upon receiving our drinks we noticed a lot of ants and decided to move as we saw an old dropped ice cream and cone behind the table. We explained this to the staff, but no one ever went to the table to see or clean while we were in the area, as I left much later it was still there. Once our food arrived the ants were the least of our problems, Crows began attacking to get our food, fighting them off we looked to the pool staff to assist us in moving or shooing away the birds and they simply stood around watching us. Only after my wife had to walk up to them and yell at them did they assist in any way, holding our food behind the bar while we were away from the table.

And this is the issue, not so much the wait staff, but the management. During all of these pool events, ants, birds, slips, stumbles and falls, there were three to four managers (I Assume based on their outfits) all in a glassed in room overlooking the pool area. They were all sitting around a computer doing something, YouTube, Training, Inventory, something; but they were also looking out at the events talking to each other, but doing nothing about any situation. I have worked for years in all types of the hospitality industry, Restaurants, Hotels, Management, Staff, etc... And I can tell you that as a manager who sees guests get up and move tables, you ask why. Seeing guests fighting with birds and no staff assisting you ask why, seeing guests slip, stumble, fall you immediately assist, whatever your department. You also remember that "Perception is Reality" and when guests see you and perceive you to be doing nothing that is their reality. To me it looked like a bunch of guys hanging out watching online videos. As I Said they may have been doing real work, but being in view of the guests they should be working for the guests. My wife wanted me to confront them there, but knowing that four of them would all stand together and not care or take any action I felt it would be best to wait for checkout and the standard "How was your stay?" and then I could discuss it separate from the event. That question was never asked, there was no concern for how my stay was or how my experience was, simply, pay your bill and have a nice day. I have had other reviews on trip advisor where I explain my bad experiences, but mention how management discussed the situation and is looking into it. Not here.
My experience is that the managers are more interested in being managers, having the title, walking around in a suit and shaking hands. They are not interested in hospitality or guest service, they are interested in themselves. Except the first manager he seemed to be genuinely interested in showing us the hotel.
The rooms were nice and comfortable, a bit small though. The lobby was busy with tourists having tea so it felt like a bus terminal.
I am sure many others will stay here and have a fantastic experience and rave about the hotel, I probably would have too if I hadn't gone to the pool, saw and experienced what I did, and watched staff sit around. I can not recommend this hotel to anyone based on my experience though.

4 Thank Jasher0
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night, the room
Was very comfortable with a great view of the coast. The pillows were lovely! The shower gels smell wonderful. The pool was lovely. The breakfast was fantastic with loads of choice. My only regret is not having time to try the high tea!

• Stayed May 2014