“Lobby Coffee Shop”
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Yesterday(26/6/14) again we went there in the afternoon round about 2-3pm. Ordered tea with cheese croissant. Your staff serves tea and goes away without giving any sugar!! got up and asked for the sugar, waited till the tea got cold, and asked where is my croissant, all the staff looked at each other’s face and they had no clue because the person who took the order was not there. when I got my croissant my husband ordered salmon sandwich and It was my husband's first meal of the day. Guess what the Bread was hard like a rock. By this time I got furious called the manager really really blasted at him. I know it was not his fault. the staff who served that should have at least had a decency to check before serving. Manager apologized and offered my husband to go for a high tea, instead of getting him a fresh meal. We really had no much time to spend for the high tea,

FOR GOD SAKE WHY CAN'T THE MANAGEMENT TRAIN YOUR STAFF??? WHY CAN'T YOU HAVE MYSTRY GUEST PROGRAMME?? SO THAT YOU KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING IN YOUR OWN HOTEL?? WHY THE MANAGEMENT IS STILL SLEEPING?? WHY WHY WHY??

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sheena S
Maurice C, General Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Sheena S,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Kingsbury. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our high tea. I have taken up this matter with my Director of Food & Beverage and he will be looking into further staff training, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Maurice Cook

Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is my last night in Sri Lanka. The foreground of Mr Look very ugly, very impatient. Room has a heavy smoke, a woman came, and his face too ugly... After a difficult communication, finally change the room. The room was very noisy and late into the night, heard about the wedding held in later. The faucet in the bathroom just fell off, just can use after maintenance. The mini bar is locked. The feeling is very bad.

Room Tip: Quiet room, the air is fresh
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank xingruomuyue

Dear Xingruomuyue,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Kingsbury. I am sorry to hear about the problems you faced at the hotel. Rest assured that I will be looking into your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back if your travels do bring you back to Colombo.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Summary :

Kingsbury hotel is located in an outstanding location in the heart of Colombo and right next to the ocean. in usual reviews you look for what is available or offered in the hotel, well for this hotel you need to revers the question to what is NOT available ,, for me I tried my best to challenge them but they fulfilled all my requests and gone beyond my usual expectations.

Services & Facilities:

Well as I said I cannot type all what they have but I can say you might not need to get out unless you have a planned trip or site seeing day out.

Details:

" Offering guests unparalleled comfort and opulence encompassed in a classically designed property along with a team of professionals set on delivering the highest levels of service.We invite you to unfold memorable experiences with us. " -- This statement is one of the first thing you see when you visit the Kingsbury website, for me I thought its a usual attraction sales statement, however, I found out that this statement is just only the summary of the reality .

Very professional well-trained staff is just waiting for a sign from you to fulfil your request/demands with a great smile.

variety of activities, dinning options, relaxing areas, etc are available, the SPA is just one of the outstanding luxurious facilities in this hotel that will amaze you.

Room Tip: ask for Sea view rooms 5th floor and above.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AK-Abouasleba

Dear Mr AkBlack,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Kingsbury. I am glad to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that you really enjoyed you stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We went to the Harbour Court restaurant for dinner for 4 and it was much more than I expected. We had our weeding at the Kingsbury in 2012 and although the food was extremely good the wedding coordinator was horrible. But the dining experience this time was flawless with the staff extremely attentive and friendly. The food is always the best feature at Kingsbury so I was not disappointed on that area. Have to say the Harbour Court staff is excellent perhaps the event coordinators could use the same training!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RanganaRadini

Dear RanganaRadini,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Kingsbury. I am glad to hear that you had a nice experience at The Harbour Court.

I am sorry to hear about the coordinator who handled your wedding event in 2012, it's a while back for me to take any action not knowing the staff concerned. Rest assured that this was a one off rather than the norm at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kingsbury.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Certainly a nice looking hotel but the amount of noise which kept us awake until 1am is completely unacceptable for a hotel of this calibre and price range.

Extremely loud music from a function upstairs kept us awake until midnight and then after that what sounded like staff maintenance and constant talking in the corridors kept us awake for another hour. The doors have no acoustic seals and the walls appear to be very poorly sound insulated.

When you spend an entire day travelling and all you want to do is sleep, I dont expect to be told that we will have to wait until the function finishes to do so.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Will D,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Kingsbury. I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise created by an event held on the 10th floor and the subsequent noise caused by apparent staff etc.

Rest assured that this is certainly not the norm at the hotel, had you let us know this issue on the night, we would have changed rooms for you and upgraded to the next category (although it would have most likely been inconvenient at this time of the night for a room move).

Rest assured that this was a one off rather than the norm at the hotel. If your travels do bring you back to Colombo, we look forward to welcoming you back. Meanwhile, I have kept a profile note in our system about your complaint.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We ate dinner at the Ocean restaurant at the Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the 30 th of May 2014. It was my mother, Tara Jafferjee's 94 th birthday. We were a table seven persons. Very impressive selection of sea food. Nothing like it exists in Colombo. Pleasure to see true lobsters, not langouste but Hommarde. The scallops were so fresh.
The strawberry margaritas were a picture. Beautifully presented. The stir fry vegetables were perfect.
Service good and friendly. Keep it up.
The ambience and location, lovely. Watching the waves crashing so near was a magnificent sight.
Happy to see Sri Lanka rocking once again. I am a Sri Lankan and live in Karachi, Pakistan.

Room Tip: Did not stay at the Kingsbury
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
The_Kingsbury, Public Relations Manager at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear guest,

Indeed we're delighted to receive your compliments and thank you for taking the time to do so.
As mentioned by you, The Kingsbury being the latest 5 star city hotel is making every effort to enhance Sri Lanka's culinary and hospitality standards to bring Sri Lanka on par with the world's best.

Please send us your contact details to mgrccpr@thekingsburyhotel.com as we would like to update you - as a proud Sri Lankan on our progress.

Yours sincerely,
Dinithi Somaratne

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The first time we visited the microwave in the coffee shop was broken, so they kept serving people ice cold food, instead of spending just half of one rooms price on a new micro!

The second time i ordered a veg spring roll, and they served me a chicken spring roll!

Finally on our third visit the staff were milling around the counters so we literally couldn't see what items were there, like this was perhaps a roadside cafe, rather than a 5 star hotel!

Either they have the worst staff in the hotel industry in Sri Lanka, or the management is terrible, and don't know how to train them to 5 star standards!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamAndSheena

Dear guest,

It's with much regret we note your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies in this regard.
We take your comments very seriously and its such input from our guests that help us fine tune our training and formulate employee recognition schemes.

If you could kindly provide us with your contact details to:
mgrccpr@thekingsburyhotel.com
we would very much like to have another opportunity to delight you.

Yours sincerely,