“Stylish but dirty”

Taibah Boutique Hotel
Ranked #94 of 163 Colombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The building and the rooms are stylish and look good, location is ok-ish, but the place is run badly. It's dirty and we saw quite a few cockroaches in the room. We felt a bit uncomfortable sleeping there. At a certain point two lightbulbs started flashing every 20 seconds even if they were off and we were not able to sleep. We had to call the staff who removed the lightbulbs.
There are some sort of windows but I guess you are not supposed to open (or even look at) them. They are really dirty and they open on a construction site.
It seems like the architects had a nice plan, the workers did a poor job and now the owners are doing even worse.
You can see how this hotel will quickly fall apart in the coming years.
The room is also somehow connected to a neighboring room through a locked but very thin door: this means that you can hear everything that the people in the other room say or do (e.g. we could even hear them tapping on their phone).
The AC is very noisy, even if you put it to a minimum, so if you don't want to sleep in a puddle of sweat you probably need earplugs.
The staff was actually friendly and polite, but not so honest: as soon as we arrived we heard another guest complaining about cigarette smell in his room and wanted a new room. The manager than made us wait 20 minutes to get our room because "a guest had checked out late". Once we got our room it was obviously smelling like cigarettes and lots of perfume.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Startoz

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Location isn't that central but saying that we were there during a public holiday and didn't investigate the area on foot. That said, there seems to be lots of development going on so it should be a happening place in a year or so.
All the staff were extremely helpful. The night manager gave our taxi driver directions on 2 occasions after being unable to find the place at 2am.
The room was ok however the wiring was a bit dodgy and the lights flashed when 'off'.
Wifi connection was good.
All in all an ok place for an overnight stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thefreedomtravellers
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Taibah Hotel in Nov. The staff was lovely and very helpful. I was the only one staying there (solo female). Construction at back of hotel so window was covered, no natural light. No restaurant and only lobby area was small and in evening mostly men socialising with owner and staff. Room not serviced and I found throughout Sri Lanka rooms were not serviced, this may have been the class of accommodation. Does have potential and small café serving light breakfast and refreshment during the day would have been great. No where to sit other than room. For price paid was OK. I left early 6am for railway station and night manager walked me to Galle Road and hailed a tuk tuk - very nice. Tea and coffee making facilities in room.

Sue, Australia

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

i stayed at this hotel for a short visit to Colombo.The hotel is very well located in a nice area,close to the centre and shopping district.It is only a few meters away from The Indian Ocean as well as the main street,Galle Road.The staff was very friendly and helpful.The bed was very comfortable and particularly,the bath room was very spacious.It does not have a restaurant and you have towalk about half a kilometre for breakfast in another restaurant.My room was not ovelooking outside,so could not really open the window.
i would say it is a good hotel and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sinanyalova
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We loved to hear and smell the sea
Walking distance to Gallery Cafe (recommenation for dinner!)
Water boiler with tea and water spender available in the room
Some pictures would enhance the atmosphere of the room

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanja P
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Well, I saw little evidence of the fabulous service others were raving about, but it certainly is a large, well appointed room. Having a plug in water kettle with coffee and tea was great especially as there is not restaurant in the hotel. The room was poorly swept and when I came there was sand in the shower and on the room floor. It was late, so I left it alone, assuming they would clean the next day especially as a BIG sign left in the room said that the hotel policy is to clean the room everyday and guests should let the desk know if they DON'T want their room cleaned. Well, I returned the next day, late from a long day of work and found to my horror that the room was untouched! The explanation at the desk was that the guests don't like their room cleaned so unless specifically asked, they don't clean rooms!!!
The downside of the hotel is the noise. The windows don't shut very well and the constant strong breeze from the ocean rattles one window constantly. I would have left it open, except that it faces the house right across the narrow street. Starting at about 2 a.m.on the second night, in addition to my window, a door began to slam in the house and it slammed all the way until the morning. I have no idea how the young boys at the desk slept through that noise, but since I let myself out and back in every morning, without them stirring, I guess they sleep sound!
It is just off Galle road and right next to the ocean, so the location is convenient for a walk or for a quick bite in one of the many excellent restaurants - my most favourite the Green house is just a few minutes walk...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank KeralaLily
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed at Taibah Boutique Hotel, the last two nights of our trip to Sri Lanka! We stayed in a clean room, which has the best shower and the most comfortable bed in Sri Lanka! The hotel staff was helpful and friendly, and the service from the hotel manager and his staff was superb.

• Stayed: October 2013