“Simply Great !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Colombo
“Simply Great !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at Galadari Hotel on BB basis. Hotel staff was very helpful. We got a room on 4th floor and the view of Galle face from the room was stunning. Room and the washroom was very well maintained and very clean.We have ordered some items from Ala Carte menu and they arrived so quickly.

We were entitled to their international breakfast buffet and that was awesome. We enjoyed the stay very much. i would highly recommend this hotel for a stay which located stunning edge of the Colombo city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kasun W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Location of the Hotel premises and the surrounding best suits for our needs. The Cocktails after the event was excellent, Also the services provided by the hotel. The Hall (Grand Ballroom, Galadari Hotel) that we choose to host the event is very good, classy. The lighting, space etc .. is very good. I definitely recommend this for my friends also.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Emirates kicked us into this hotel when their plane failed in Male... I hope Emirates got a discount... Now there are some good points: Staff - the front line staff could not have been more helpful, however, as soon as you give them a jacket they take on an attitude! Also the location is interesting... and right next to the sea.

Downside, it is VERY old, everything is tired. By no stretch of anyone's imagination could this possibly be a 5 star hotel, by international standards the rooms are, at best, 2* I would choose a UK budget hotel over this. So main issue was when I was checked in I was allocated a room on the 5th floor, which had clearly been taken off for maintenance - the floor - not the room, as the public lift would not stop there! After returning to reception, I got a "better room on a higher floor" - oh dear! Not that much better. However, what really annoyed me was the Hotel was still checking people into floor 5 - totally unacceptable behavior. I suspect they are also charging Emirate for these rooms too.

Everything about it is dated. Any they even charge for wifi!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kevin O

Travellers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Vadodara, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We Stayed with my Friends in this hotel for 4 days and we enjoyed the Hotel. The Swimming Pool is a must go in the evening and its just beautiful view that will relax you completely. They Serve nice Cocktails during sun set by the Pool.

The Room are nice and Clean, Breakfast is quite good but I felt that they should improve the Menu since I did not see any change in Menu in the 4 days of our Stay. I would not rate this as a 5 Star Hotel but surely it does get quite close to it.The Restaurant on the Terrace is really nice to sit in the evening. I did not go for Dinner there but in the Morning visited the place and it look pretty cool.

The Indian restaurant at ground floor, serves every nice veg and non veg food. They have free Pick up and Drop to the Casino which is a very nice service.

Overall a Good Stay.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms on Higher floors (9th,10th) & sea view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to hotels that are better than Galadari but since we are talking about Colombo so, I think that its a great hotel. I was a bit disappointed that my reservation was not there when I reached the hotel. I had to call my tour agent to confirm whether he made the reservation or not. He was all clear from his side and later we came to know that the problem was from the hotel itself. Anyhow, after like half an hour they gave me the keycards and I checked in to my room. The rooms are spacious and we had the Galle facing view room so it was good. Room service was extraordinary with great food. Dining at one of the restaurants named Flavors is a must there. I have never had Indian cuisine that good before. I believe I will stay there again if I get a chance to visit Colombo again.

Stayed December 2013
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Galadari hotel is well placed next to Galle Green and also beside the Hilton. I arrived at the airport at 2am, and a Galadari car taxi driver was there to pick me up and deliver me to the hotel. Usually the cars are much mre expensive than normal taxis (kangaroo etc), and the trip cost alsmot 5,000 rupees, although it does take around 30-40 minutes, so I guess reasonable when you consider the trip.

The lobby and ground floors of the hotel are very nicely presented. I was quickly checked in and the hotel staff were prompt and helpful to assist me, although the main motivation is tipping. My host during my stay ensured my hotel room was upgraded and on the 11th floor (near the top of the hotel) with lovely views and a fruit basket on arrival. The room was clean and tidy and nicely presented, although the master control of electricity outlets and lighting was a bit of a mystery to me at first. The bathroom was clean adn tidy, if a bit older. Lighting is not strong, especially in the bathroom. A good range of tv channels, adn wi fi was paying ($7 USD per 24 hours). Two free bottles of water per day, and even though I placed mine in the bar fridge, and didn't always drink them both, I always got two fresh bottles each day.Slippers, bathrobe, safe and toilet amenities including razor/toothbrush, cotton buds etc were available. No place nearby to get snacks, apart from a little hotel shop which is only open from 8am-8pm, but as I was working at these times, I kept missing out on making a purchase. The breakfast buffet is nice quality, with plenty of fresh fruit and savoury dishes. I asked for pancakes several days and these were highly varable. Only once I managed to get a cooked and edible pancake, the other days it was a thick uncooked lump of dough. Please teach your chefs to perfect a pancake..it isn't that hard. Tea is either plain or green tea, although on occaisons when I asked for green tea, I got sweet milky tea...beughk! The smoothies are very good, and made fresh each morning. Some days it was mango, others passionfruit or watermelon juice.

The door staff were always very friendly and the service desk helpful with maps and advice, although for hours of shop openings and other minor details, they didn't have much of an idea. I also like to use public transport when visiting new places and the fromt desk weren't often able to help me with bus routes etc, although the 100 bus stops just outside the door (don't take the 101 bus unless you want to walk around 1km back to the hotel). I guess 'rich' tourists don't take the bus!

After one week, the continuous pipied pan flute music in the lobby started to annoy me. I tried the arabic restaurant one night for dinner and it was very nice, although a little expensive 3000 rupees, as I don't have a large appetite and it was a buffet. I used the money exchange facilites in the hotel which was only a bit less than the money exchangers at the airport. I also used a few atm machines around the place, with one conveniently placed just outside the hotel. I didn't swim in the pool, although the pool looked lovely and deep.

Value for money...probably not, although as I wasn't paying my hotel bill, it didn't matter too much. I was touched that everyone always enquired as to how long I was staying and when I was leaving, to the point where they told me they would be there to see me off. As I got into the taxi I suddenly realised with 6-8 faces peering in at me that they all expected their tips before I left....coming from a country which doesn't do tipping, not being prepared for it, I gave out what little money I had left. An enjoyable stay, but the assumption that all white foreign females are rich is a gross understatement. Unfortunetly my budget didn't permit me to be as liberal with tips as their expectations, so come well armed with notes or a thick skin.

Room Tip: I was on the 11th floor. Even numbered rooms look over Galle Face Green and the ocean. It does seem...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kiki_kiwi_11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The bads:

- Old hotel
- Bathrooms are old. The tap handle came off
- Lighting is not enough, both in the room and bathroom
- Carpets are very old, hence lot of dust. Avoid if you have dust allergies.
- Wifi is charged

The goods:
- Location
- Great sea view
- Easy access
- Swimming pool

Room Tip: Ask for sea view only
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family