“Bland and tired”

Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
London
“Bland and tired”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

First off this hotel is a fair way from the town c.4km - some of the other reviews here indicate that it's centrally located which isn't the case. However we had no trouble getting a tuk tuk into the centre for around 500 rupees. The rooms were drab and we complained and looked at two other rooms including one "luxury" room (apparently the presence of carpet means it can be called luxury) - they were all dated. The food wasn't the best and the service was poor despite there being ample staff. The pool was however reasonable. It's located on the busy Gallee road so it's quite noisy but this didnt effect our sleep. I didn't use the spa or fitness centre so I've rated these average.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EdJames087

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Me and my family stayed here four nights. We used the room service a lot and the food was great! Good location, easy to get to the city centre, Majestic City or wherever you want to go. I haven't stayed anywhere else in Colombo but I think this is good value. Popular for weddings! We met a lot of beautiful people!

• Stayed January 2013
chennai
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Yes it was a gem.Nice clean hotel & comfortable rooms.Good food especially for us vegans.Good staff & service were helpful.The view from the restaurant on Galle road is good.We stayed for two days in Sapphire & totally 5 days in Lanka- a beautiful country..calm & serene like the sea around.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Stayed here at the end of a tour and what a sad ending. The hotel is old, musty, smelly and in need of renovation. Rooms were dull and had the feeling that everything needed to be replaced. The pool was tiny. The hotel is on a noisy busy street - and I mean noisy 24/7!!
The bar and restaurant service was slow. Food was very average. Staff were impersonal and such a change from the friendly faces we have encountered around the rest of Sri Lanka.
The hotel is located quite a way out of the city with nothing of interest nearby. i walked at least 6-8 city blocks in each direction and found nothing worthwhile - not even a decent shop!!
I am sure there are far nicer places to stay in Colombo at a similar price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KatielouAustralia

Travellers are raving about these Colombo hotels

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 6 February 2013

the guide, MERWIN WAS WONDERFUL, THE CEYLON TOUR COMPANY SET UP ALL HOTELS AND ALL DAY PRIVATE GUIDE and car with a/.c i felt very safe and had great time. price good too.pic of great place we visited,the elephant orphanage. never try to lift newborn elephant, they are born 250kilos or about over 500lbs. the management always helped me. the folks are so peaceful and friendly with great sense of humor.8 unesco world heritage spots on island. i flew into capitol Colombo,not having to stop in India. i think Sri Lanka way more organized,modern and richer than India.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cyntheen
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights, booked the hotel online. Once i reached the hotel they upgraded me to the better room on the same rate. The location was prime, near to all the main attractions. The staff was very helpful and friendly. If you want to have a super leisure stay in Colombo, then its not the hotel for you, but definitely for the budget travellers its a good choice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Lorn, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here for the last night and a half at the end of a tour. When I went to my room, I noticed that the door was already open. As soon as I stepped in I realised that was to air the room as someone had obviously been smoking in there. I went back to reception and told them. After a wait of less than 5 minutes I was taken back upstairs and shown another room which was much better. The porter then helped me move my luggage. I really appreciated the way in which this matter was dealt.
The hotel is on a busy road and was a bit noisy but that's to be expected given that all of Colombo is busy and noisy. I'd recommend that anyone who travels take ear plugs with them. There were two functions happening on the night we were there but I didn't here any noise at all in my room from the partygoers.
The room was a little tired as seems to be the case in just about all hotels in Sri Lanka, however everything was clean so a few scuff marks or peeling paint doesn't really worry me. There was a small pool and drink service was provided. Dinner and breakfast were fine and very well-priced.
I'd recommend this place because of the good service it provides.

Room Tip: Apparently some rooms had a lounge area but they may be more expensive.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends