“A nice atmosphere in the hectic Colombo”

Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Cinnamon Lakeside gave us everything we could ever asked for at a high class hotel. There was nothing to complain about. A nice atmosphere and with several restaurants within the hotel to chose between. The room also fulfilled our expectations and had a really comfortable bed. There was even a list of different pillows to chose between.

The food, staff and service at Cinnamon Lakeside hotel were all exceptional. If we visit Colombo again, we will stay at Cinnamon Lakeside hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Denis_Gruhier, General Manager at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for your five-star review. We are delighted with your recommendation of Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo. It is always a pleasure to read reviews about satisfied guests. We are pleased that our staff are recognized and our hospitality is acclaimed. Your high estimation of the hotel facilities is encouraging and we are happy that you have enjoyed the facilities on offer in totality. Thank you very much for your kind sentiments and we are glad that your next stay in Sri Lanka would be at our Hotel. We value your continued patronage.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This is a good business hotel with spacious rooms and clean, modern bathrooms. There is a big gym and pool and it is pretty close to the main tourist attractions of Colombo (a 1-2 km walk or a couple mins via tuk tuk to Galle Face Rd, the Dutch Hospital Shopping Area, Pettah Markets). It took us just under an hr to get to the airport on a Sunday morning via tuk tuk (LKR 2000).

We paid to upgrade to a room with lake and pool views, but this was probably not worth it for us as there is no balcony and we hardly looked out the window. Our room did have a musty smell to it...and our sheets unfortunately had a damp odour on them. I also did laundry through the hotel and one of my dresses came back with a big rip under the armhole! I only figured this out after I'd left the country as the laundry comes back all individually wrapped so I packed it without checking first. Make sure you don't make this mistake!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We are concerned to read your feedback on your stay with us. We are sorry to learn of the issues encountered by you and we do hope you were able to get the assistance of our associates to solve them. Guests do have the liberty of asking for a room change if they are not happy with the room given to them. Kindly handover the dress to us when you are next in Colombo and we would make arrangements to reimburse the cost of it. Please be assured that these issues are more an exception than the rule in this hotel. Thank you for your valued patronage and we hope that this would not deter you from visiting us again when you are in Colombo next.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel just for 1 night but it was very nice place with the choice of good restaurant, it is Colombo, absolutelly different from the places we have used around Srilanka, crouded city with nice and horrible places, but this hotel is trying to do the best and we have been really happy to stay there.
Very large pool and nice fitness activities

Room Tip: ask for the room with the lake view, nice evening atmosphere
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that you had a really happy stay at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo and savored the food at our many restaurants that feature authentic cuisine from across the globe. Our large infinity pool and the fully-equipped gymnasium/Sauna, are facilities that are relished by most of our valued guests. Having indulged in our Cinnamon hospitality, we hope you would visit us again soon for a longer stay. Thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice, at the beginning and the end of my first trip to Sri Lanka. First time I had a superior room city-view (noisy and run-down) while the second time I had a room on the Executive Floor (nice and cleaner but not entirely worth its price). The best points of the hotel are the location (central), the restaurants (good and diverse) and the swimming pool. Bad points include the service (slow and inefficient), the decor and status of the rooms (old) and breakfast (the breakfast room was crowded and noisy). Overall a so-so experience

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Denis_Gruhier, General Manager at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

We are concerned to note from your review that your stay with us has not been upto your expectation, eventhough you consider the location as good and having a satisfying experience with the different authentic food/restaurants and the swimming pool. Some of the other observations are also noted for remedial action. We are sorry for any inconvenience that they would have caused you. Should you wish to stay with us again, notwithstanding the mentioned, please feel free to contact me personally and I shall make arrangements to make your next experience with us a pleasant one.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

After a lot of asking around and reviews we decided to have high tea with 18 ex pat school friends (reunion). Was extremely disappointed at the quality and variety of food. In my opinion the cost of the high tea at Rs 1900 did not represent value for money. I am now told that the Kingsbury has lifted its game and has put on a really good spread. Too late as I am back from my holiday in SL.
Booked for the 29th of Dec. Desserts/cakes were all Christmas stuff - ie love cake, Christmas pudding and cake, breudher etc which by that time, we had had enough of and wanted a change. Pan rolls and some other items were extremely dry and leathery and looked unappetizing. I ended up having just a couple of items that looked fresh and pleasing to the eye.
Non alcoholic wine was offered. Iced coffee which was brought around a few times could have done with less sugar. Choice of tea and coffee. Anything else - ie cuppachino had to be paid for.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Denis_Gruhier, General Manager at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

We are disturbed to learn that your experience at the hotel was not up to your expectation. We are quite concerned of your judgment of the quality of our otherwise much acclaimed High Tea spread. We will ensure that food quality is exceptional on a daily basis. We do like to continuously seek views of our valued patrons as this is how we could improve our standards. Thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I couldn't get into this hotel originally because it was fully booked for the CHOGM meeting. The first room I was given was beautifully situated with a balcony overlooking the pool, but it was quite grubby, particularly the light switches and around the bath. I think this may have been because they had been so busy with CHOGM. When I returned to the hotel after a weekend in Kandy, I was given a much better room, which was bigger and cleaner.
The best thing about this hotel is the staff, who were always polite, cheerful and friendly. The restaurant staff in particular could not do enough for me. Mr Susmith in the main restaurant was so kind when I was not well for a few days. I wanted to make myself a drink of marmite in my room and he gave me the whole jar to take and use for as long as I needed it and offered to have some toast sent up.I ate every night in the pleasant ambiance of the 7 Degrees North Restaurant, where the service was swift and efficient. I don't know the names of all the staff, but Lynsay, Samadhi, Chirath, Sanspath and Richard were just some of the lovely people who served me during my 7 week stay.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Alice R

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate very much the sentiments expressed of our staff and we are pleased that you had a pleasant stay enjoying great hospitality. It is heartening to learn of your assurance to stay at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo on your next visit to the country. Thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Arrived at 7am and although rooms were available, a levy was imposed for early check in. Whilst it is an unwelcome practice that is exercised by hotels it was the amount that was asked for that was unreasonable.
The hotel is dated but adequate, in a good location with a lovely view and pool. There are a number of restaurants to choose from and the one my wife and I had dinner at was nice.
The staff are pleasant and attentive, working with what is available. Breakfast is an experience thankfully not emulated by other high end hotels. The space for the number of guests is totally inadequate resulting in a long queue at busy periods. Although the food choice was good and plentiful; because of the lack of space breakfast was akin to a bun fight and not particularly relaxing.
Not a bad hotel for Colombo however, there are many better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo. We are glad that you liked the location and facilities and also had a great dining experience. Your constructive observations are well noted. We do hope you will visit us again on your next visit to the country. Thank you for your patronage.