The Havelock Place Bungalow
  • Pool
US$205
US$200
Cancelon
All reviewshomemade ice creamsri lankaoutdoor bathroomsmall poolquiet oasistuk tukchaotic citycolonial stylemosquito netcolonial feelsmall hotelbusy colombolong flightbreakfast was deliciousthree nightsspent nightsair conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This charming hotel is a tranquil escape from the hubbub of Columbo city centre. The rooms are traditional and bathrooms modern and connected through wonderful courtyards and water pools. Friendly helpful staff and generous home-feel cooked breakfast complete the hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison G
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I spent four nights on a business trip in April-May 2014 in this nice old house. Rooms are simple, but very charming and clean. The small hotel in a quite garden has everything you need and more: a good restaurant, a friendly and helpful staff and a fancy pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank victormerten
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed in Colombo for a week in May 2014, and enjoyed our time at the Havelock Place Bungalow enormously. It's a small oasis in the bustling city: central yet quiet, green and calm. Clean rooms, good beds with firm mattresses, fantastic breakfasts (also true for lunch and dinner), reliable internet, lovely service. Much better than a large hotel!

Room Tip: If you are in Colombo for work, ask for one of the bigger rooms (2 and 3) – they have a good-sized desk, a small couch area and direct access to the small lovely pool of the house.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andreas K
havelockplacebungalo, Owner at The Havelock Place Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time off to review our property It is always a pleasure to me and my staff to have a satisfied guest.
Hope we see you back at The Bungalow someday.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Pros - Colonial bungalow, lots of green spaces, understated elegant décor.
Cons - Shoddy service, my server could hardly comprehend English, very cantankerous Manager---the lady had oodles of attitude and very short on patience--needs to brush up on her people skills--had a go at her staff in our presence and was very rude --also short on patience while responding to our queries, Quirky washroom design---floor dirty when I visited and the switch panel outside had grubby finger stains around it---Most surprising of all, I noticed a panty liner cover outside the washroom door in the main walkway--surprisingly it was still on the floor in plain view when we were exiting the premises---- Very poor attention to basic details.
The food---
Moroccan steak was terribly overdone and chewy----nothing Moroccan about it, pork chop was terribly chewy and overtly sweet, Sri Lankan chili beef was the saving grace---great flavor but the rice accompaniment was hard and probably rushed to our table before it was fully steamed,
For the prices charged, one would expect --Better service and more attention to housekeeping detail.
I would also suggest that the Manager improve her attitude towards her staff and guests.
Pity --Its a lovely colonial property and could give The Paradise Road café a run for their money---if only they get their act together.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you were unhappy with your visit to the restaurant.I will look into this.As for the reference to the panty liner this is the first time we have had a complaint of this nature and it is hard to believe as first I wonder how it got there and it would have been picked up as it is the main walkway which is constantly used by us.
As for the manageress she is known to be very helpful and this is quite out of character.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

A quite place to write and reflect on ones journey, plan and meet friends. In a central location, quite and reflective. A place where I can listen to the birds singing and write. I can sit in the pool to cool off, I don't have to put the air conditioning on if I open the window and watch the happening in the garden. The food is good, as a vegetarian I would like to see more vegetarian sections and more curries. The bread is homemade and so are the various Jams and marmalade. I have stayed there twice in April for a total of three nights the first time and two nights before my departure. The staff is helpful the management responsive and considerate. It is an alternative to big hotels, it is like going home and have a room of your own. I will be going there again.

Room Tip: If you want a small colonial room and you don't mind being in the middle of the house, number 7 if you need more privacy number 5. If you need a lager space.with a sitting room the bungalow is more comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo