“Terrible place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colombo
YMCA Tourist Hostel
Ranked #86 of 157 Speciality Lodging in Colombo
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The YMCA in central Colombo is a terrible place. It is perhaps the only budget accommodation in central Colombo (location is good) but for you can find much better places for little more money within a short tuk tuk ride.
The bulding is in terrible shape. The cheapest rooms are very old, full of bugs (the size of your finger) and extremely hot. The fan is very noisy and don't help much. The bathroom is among the worst I have seen in my life, with unidentified liquids leaking from the pipe.
More expensive rooms are ok (although smelling badly) but highly overpriced (7500 rupees).
The staff is nice though. Overall a terrible place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank diegoemme

Reviewed 19 March 2013

What the Lonely Planet was doing recommending this place I'll never know. I arrived there tired at midnight with the expectation of basic, cheap accommodation. What I found was a hostel that I can only assume was in the Lonely Planet for the first time and had raised their prices to take advantage. They initially wanted 3500 for a room and I finally settled on 2500 ($20) for a private "double" room. Not particularly cheap anymore, but I was tired and the only other hotels in the area are pretty expensive. But I really should've looked at the room before paying such a ridiculous amount of money. A room with two beds pushed together, a washbasin in the corner and a ceiling fan. That was it. What you might expect for less than $10 anywhere else in Asia. The beds were too short for my body and the bedding was too short for the beds. And the shared bathrooms were dire. I'm not particularly squeamish, but that was the first time I've ever felt the need to shower in flip flops.

And it was the shower that resulted in my one and only interaction with the exceptionally rude staff. You see because despite paying $20 for a grossly substandard room, that didn't include a towel. I would've had to pay $60 for a "luxury room" for that (I'd love to see their idea of luxury). Now I've stayed in places where you don't get a towel as standard, but this was the first place I've stayed where they've flat out refused to give me one or even rent one to me. I was told I should've gone to the Hilton if I wanted a towel. No, I should've just gone to any other hotel or hostel in the world. There's a reason why they ask you to pay up front in this place. No matter how tight your budget, avoid this place at all costs. Not that it will help your budget with their apparently new found rip off prices anyway. I've stayed in some dumps in my time, but this is my all time worst hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Joe P
Reviewed 28 February 2013

huge bugs all over the room, stinky bad sheets, problems with electricity, stinky room. We've leaved in many nasty places but this one is the worst so far.

Well, it was the cheapest accommodation we could find in Colombo but I am happy we had to stay there just a single night.

Room Tip: just avoid YMCA colombo at any costs
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sokolinskyi
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Arriving at the YMCA was something out of a movie. It was 1130 pm, rain was falling and the big steel gates were pulled closed. It was only through a small opening that I was able to get access. Inside was an older Sri Lankan man clearly in the middle of an altercation with another gentleman. A chair was thrown but by all accounts everyone was fine. I was travelling with my girlfriend and she was in the car as a mob of 30 men walked past carrying bats and pieces of wood. After the ruckus died down we were given our key and sent on up to the 3rd floor. There are currently renovations being done and it resembled more of a building site than that of residence of the Christian brotherhood. The room was a little old and the door lock was almost falling off. My girlfriend didn't feel safe at all and the amenities are certainly not women friendly. If you are a single or group of men then the place is fine, true Sri Lanka. However if you are travelling with a female best avoid this place.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank scottplume
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I woke up to find about 30 bed bug bites all over my body, and saw red bugs crawling through the sheets. When I brought the sheets down to show the staff, they put me into a smaller and stuffier room down the hall and refused to give any sort of refund or compensation. I would recommend you avoid this place at all cost.

Room Tip: Check your bed for bed bugs in any room that you choose.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nh0828
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Colombo YMCA has changed a lot with the new management. It's getting better day by day. Soon all the rooms will be air conditioned and the 3rd floor with luxury rooms.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Philipdamion
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We only stayed in Colombo so we could get to the airport in time for our early flight. The options were fairly limited but the YMCA seemed the cheapest. There is a reason for that - it was very dirty, stank of urine and the rooms are basic to say the least. It was in a great location though and meant we could get our flight so couldn't complain too much, but we made sure we literally only stayed in the room for the minimum amount of time as it was pretty horrible. Good for backpackers like us staying for one night but I really wouldn't want to stay there longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple