“Good - but not the best hotel in Colombo.”

Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Colombo
Chester, UK
“Good - but not the best hotel in Colombo.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

July 2014. I spent ages picking which hotel to stay in for 4 days whilst I visited my daughter who was volunteering in Maharagama (small village about 15 kms outside of city). I selected the Kingsbury at first....but having read some negative reviews on here....called the travel agent and changed to the Cinnamon Grand. I think that was a mistake - not because Cinnamon Grand Resort (CGR) is poor - it's not - but I went to the Kingsbury - and I much preferred it.

Getting there: when you get into your car/cab at the airport (if you are not on a coach) insist on taking the highway instead of the non-toll road. They will expect you to pay the 300 rupees (about £1.50/$1) - and it saves about 40 minutes off the journey into downtown Colombo.

CGR is a BIG hotel. The lobby area is akin to one of the massive hotels in Las Vegas. You could attend a concert in the lobby alone. It is always incredibly busy. Bit like a train station.

Decor is grand/ bit old fashioned but well maintained.

Staff - throughout the entire hotel - could not be more friendly - excellent service and they go out of their way to make you feel special and attend your every need. Special shout out here for the concierge guys - my suitcase didn't make my plane from Dubai (WARNING TO ANYBODY FLYING EMIRATES....don't think your booked flight seat, even when you selected which seat via electronic seat locators, is safe....it's not. I got to Dubai airport 2.5 hours before the flight, was told it was overbooked and I would have to travel the next day. After a lot of very heated complaining, eventually allowed to get this flight - I shall NOT fly Emirates again if I can avoid it - and I'm in their Skywards club!!!).

Back to the CGR.....rooms are good size. Not too big. Hotel has NO views. It is on the main Galle Road but there are no sea views. Shame as the sea is very nice here and the waves are always big and worth watching. Kingsbury is on the ocean - fantastic location away from the main hubbub of Galle Road.

CGR location is good - central - but you feel like you are on a street in New York rather than at a hotel close to the ocean!

Gym/spa. The gym is very well equipped. Life fitness and techno gym and the staff are great/very helpful. Nice feature - the fitness trainers walk round offering some very good tips. Not pushy, no tips expected - just very helpful.

Spa - fantastic. Yes there are much cheaper spas all over Colombo (I also tried the Ceylon Spa in the Dutch Hospital quarter- oddly named as there is no hospital I saw! Restaurants and bars - and the spa - which was dirty and very noisy). Staff are fantastic at CGR spa - very professional, beautiful spa and the treatment was one of the best massages I've had - and I have lots of massages! Not cheap but not overpriced for a top hotel - but worth every penny and I would go back.

Food. Breakfast in downstairs courtyard - very good choice of everything including omelettes whilst you wait etc....Staff excellent.

Bars - Cheers pub in basement - lively British themed pub. But full of smoke - as is everywhere in Colombo!

The Kingsbury comparison. K is better located at the top of Galle Green and close to all the restaurants at Dutch Hospital quarter. Hotel is colonial but clean, grand and ocean views. GO TO THEIR SKYBAR - it is rooftop - overlooking the ocean and Colombo and is very trendy. Great music - great crowd - top notch place to go a bit like a top London club lounge bar on top of the hotel.

Other hotel worth looking at is the TAJ - went in once. Top top hotel in Colombo. Celebrity hotel. Again Colonial. But again on Galle Road so busy but it does have sea views.

If I was coming to Colombo again, I'd stay at the Kingsbury. It's more modern than CGR and better located. The staff at CGR were however, fantastic, as was the Spa.

Room Tip: I was on 4th floor. 3 lifts but often had to wait. As there are no views I'd get a room as clo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MJMChester_UK
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the location and did not get the feel of being close to the ocean.

We appreciate however, your compliments on our staff and room as well as our facilities, and in particular the spa and staff as well as the concierge and hope you would consider staying with us again, maybe on the higher level rooms where you do get a view of the sea; and indulge in more of our facilities and cinnamon hospitality.

Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Sri Lanka - the land of tea. Very excited about high tea in Sri Lanka. Planned for high tea at Galle Face (where we stayed), but no go, due to renovations. So we tried the Cinnamon Grand. Atmosphere - well, we are pretty focussed on the 'colonial feel', none here, could have been anywhere in the world - the standard 5 star generic atmosphere. So, the high tea - it was fine, price was fine, but...we see high tea as served on a cake stand - nope, this is a buffet. And, in the land of tea, no choice of teas offered, sure, we got a teapot, but...TEABAGS! We couldn't believe it. Any hotel would know that a cake stand, not just looking nicer, will help to manage portion size, so why not go for it? So disappointed that we were not asked about tea choices and were not served loose leaf tea. In summary, we could have been anywhere in the world. Very disappointing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SampaulMelbourne
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

The rooms are updated with light doors that would pass the noise from the outside to the room.

The staff on the other hand are beyond horrible..

We made a booking with the credit card and it was all paid yet the res. department saw a need to get so rude and send an email threatening to cancel the booking since their imagination portrayed some unrealistic facts like the credit card didnt go thru and that we shall lose the booking by midnight "even thu they emailed us 8 hrs post their time limit"

We bumped into the Srilankan president as he was attending a wedding. We weren't bothered or hustled by the security.

Over all.. it wasnt bad. Food was fine and the atmosphere by Colombo standards was okay.

Room Tip: rooms either face the beach or some dreadful junk yard. Make sure to request a view if it matters to...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We apologize for the issues you faced during your stay with us and assure you that we are investigating into them in order to take corrective action so that it does not happen again. We do hope this will not deter you from staying with us in the future; and that you would give us another opportunity to serve you with our facilities and cinnamon hospitality.

Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant only opened in July 2014 and operates only in evening after 6:30pm.

In the morning it is used to serve the breakfast buffet but in the evening is transformed into a Chinese/Thai restaurant.

We arrived (4 + 1 wheelchair for my son) without reservation at about 8:30pm and the restaurant was full or had reserved tables for guests in the next hour.

Initially the staff said there was no space but then it asked what the waiting time was and they said give then a few minutes to find out. Within a minute the manager came to meet us and explained as it was a newly opened restaurant so it was very busy these first few weeks. The manager, Mr Ashran Amit, said he would look to see what he could do and within another two minutes asked me to come into restaurant as he said he had table for 4 and would that be ok given that there was 5 of us. Given that my son was not going to eat it was fine but I said he wheelchair might block access to an adjacent table. He then asked staff yo move that table further away to give us sufficient room. Mr. Ashran Amit is a very kind and compassionate gentleman.

The food was excellent. The service efficient and polite. The price very reasonable given this was a 5star hotel.

All in all a very good evening and will be coming back very soon.

Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank PraveenWickramaratne
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your complimentary review of the recently opened Noodles Restaurant at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are delighted to know that you had a great dining experience and enjoyed the food and service. We are also pleased to note that you were well looked after by the Manager, Mr. Ashran Amit, to whom it will be my pleasure to convey your compliments. Indeed our Team does us proud; they are undoubtedly our greatest asset.

We thank you once again for your valuable feedback and high recommendation and also sincerely thank you for your continued patronage.

With best wishes.
Brugg, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A superb hotel with everything you could ever want. A small but clean gym, a nice outside pool, a few great restaurants and a very nice room. There's also a hair dresser I unfortunately cannot recommend to people who don't have hair like sri lankans.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Laura B
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review of the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are delighted that you had a great stay with us and look forward to welcome you again on your next visit to Sri Lanka!

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

beautiful hotel....very huge....like the food...good prices...you can walk near it .....staff very friendly.....very clean ....big rooms and very calm.....i enjoyed a lot and wasn t expecting to like it as i did....i hope you ll like it as i did....like the view too.you will be able to swim too...there a italian restaurant in it very good prices and very clean

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel S
Thank you for taking time to review the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are very pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and appreciate your compliments. We are very pleased that we exceeded your expectations and trust you would stay with us again in the future.

Thank you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

It was my second trip to Colombo but first time stay at Cinnamon Grand. I'm glad that I had booked an Executive floor room. I arrived into Colombo at 5am after 8hours of flying and transit. The hotel car (prebooked & paid separately) picked me up promptly from airport and upon arrival at the hotel, I was greeted by hotel staff. I was escorted straight to my room instead of check in desk which was just as well since I was very very tired. Check in formalities were done in the room taking only few minutes and by that time bags were there as well. I was literally in bed within 10mins of arriving at the hotel. This service was part of the extras of booking an Executive Floor room. There are a lot of other extras including free 24hrs room service breakfast!
The room was very clean and very well appointed. A/C worked very well as did the internet.
I say definitely paying extra for Executive floor room - excellent value for money especially for a luxury hotel like Cinnamon Grand! Definitely staying there again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review. We are very pleased that you decided to stay on the executive floor and delighted to note that you did enjoy the extra facilities available at the executive floor rooms.

We appreciate your valuable feedback on our services and amenities and look forward to welcoming you back, to indulge in more of our facilities and cinnamon hospitality, on your next stay with us.