July 2014. I spent ages picking which hotel to stay in for 4 days whilst I visited my daughter who was volunteering in Maharagama (small village about 15 kms outside of city). I selected the Kingsbury at first....but having read some negative reviews on here....called the travel agent and changed to the Cinnamon Grand. I think that was a mistake - not because Cinnamon Grand Resort (CGR) is poor - it's not - but I went to the Kingsbury - and I much preferred it.
Getting there: when you get into your car/cab at the airport (if you are not on a coach) insist on taking the highway instead of the non-toll road. They will expect you to pay the 300 rupees (about £1.50/$1) - and it saves about 40 minutes off the journey into downtown Colombo.
CGR is a BIG hotel. The lobby area is akin to one of the massive hotels in Las Vegas. You could attend a concert in the lobby alone. It is always incredibly busy. Bit like a train station.
Decor is grand/ bit old fashioned but well maintained.
Staff - throughout the entire hotel - could not be more friendly - excellent service and they go out of their way to make you feel special and attend your every need. Special shout out here for the concierge guys - my suitcase didn't make my plane from Dubai (WARNING TO ANYBODY FLYING EMIRATES....don't think your booked flight seat, even when you selected which seat via electronic seat locators, is safe....it's not. I got to Dubai airport 2.5 hours before the flight, was told it was overbooked and I would have to travel the next day. After a lot of very heated complaining, eventually allowed to get this flight - I shall NOT fly Emirates again if I can avoid it - and I'm in their Skywards club!!!).
Back to the CGR.....rooms are good size. Not too big. Hotel has NO views. It is on the main Galle Road but there are no sea views. Shame as the sea is very nice here and the waves are always big and worth watching. Kingsbury is on the ocean - fantastic location away from the main hubbub of Galle Road.
CGR location is good - central - but you feel like you are on a street in New York rather than at a hotel close to the ocean!
Gym/spa. The gym is very well equipped. Life fitness and techno gym and the staff are great/very helpful. Nice feature - the fitness trainers walk round offering some very good tips. Not pushy, no tips expected - just very helpful.
Spa - fantastic. Yes there are much cheaper spas all over Colombo (I also tried the Ceylon Spa in the Dutch Hospital quarter- oddly named as there is no hospital I saw! Restaurants and bars - and the spa - which was dirty and very noisy). Staff are fantastic at CGR spa - very professional, beautiful spa and the treatment was one of the best massages I've had - and I have lots of massages! Not cheap but not overpriced for a top hotel - but worth every penny and I would go back.
Food. Breakfast in downstairs courtyard - very good choice of everything including omelettes whilst you wait etc....Staff excellent.
Bars - Cheers pub in basement - lively British themed pub. But full of smoke - as is everywhere in Colombo!
The Kingsbury comparison. K is better located at the top of Galle Green and close to all the restaurants at Dutch Hospital quarter. Hotel is colonial but clean, grand and ocean views. GO TO THEIR SKYBAR - it is rooftop - overlooking the ocean and Colombo and is very trendy. Great music - great crowd - top notch place to go a bit like a top London club lounge bar on top of the hotel.
Other hotel worth looking at is the TAJ - went in once. Top top hotel in Colombo. Celebrity hotel. Again Colonial. But again on Galle Road so busy but it does have sea views.
If I was coming to Colombo again, I'd stay at the Kingsbury. It's more modern than CGR and better located. The staff at CGR were however, fantastic, as was the Spa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 35 kilometers from the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), luxurious Cinnamon Grand Colombo is located in the heart of Colombo City’s business, shopping and entertainment center. Elegantly designed, spacious rooms at the Cinnamon Grand offer a wide range of in-room amenities, king size beds, and a pillow menu to ensure your comfort and pleasure. All rooms feature carefully attended-to bathrooms and toiletries, large flat screen TVs, a mini bar, and WiFi access. The hotel’s 14 restaurants provide an electric mix of international cuisines, including award-winning Sri Lankan seafood at the Lagoon Restaurant & Garden, and the best of European fine dining at the London Grill. To wind down, guests can patronize Cinnamon Grand’s poolside ‘Breeze Bar’ or typical British pub style ‘Cheers Pub,’ and enjoy a wide range of cocktails, beer and fresh juices. There are two gymnasiums, a spa retreat, a tennis court and two pools. Cinnamon Grand is also located right next to Colombo’s high end shopping mall, Crescat Boulevard. Cinnamon Grand Colombo is fully accessible and is an environmentally friendly property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cinnamon Grand Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cinnamon Grand Colombo Hotel Colombo
- Cinnamon Grand Hotel Colombo
- Cinnamon Hotel Colombo
- Colombo Cinnamon Grand Hotel