“Clean ,relaxing, many resturents”

Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 night.
Generally, the hotel is very busy..it is very clean, very quite, and staffs are very friendly. ..
There is mall connected to the hotel. .
The hotel in the centre of the city near the shopping centres, the beach and the cinms..
They created wonderful views in the hotel and resturents. ..

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review. We are pleased to note that you had a good and relaxing stay with us and look forward to welcome you on your next visit.

Regards.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My partner booked this hotel as a last minute resort as I had a flight at 1 am and I needed a place to shower and relax before my flight. Having stayed at Cinnamon Lakeside, I expected better quality and provision of service and amenities. Given the notion and having heard many say Cinnamon Grand is way better than Cinnamon Lakeside. I DISAGREE. First of all, I sincerely think the staffs are all very confused to what they are doing. We got off the car and in Cinnamon Lakeside, there is always someone to open the door for you with a big smile and a friendly greeting.But at Cinnamon Grand, there was none. I mean I am not born in the queen era where I expect flamboyant service and extravagant treatment. But having gotten those in the sister hotel, I expected it in Cinnamon Grand. Anyhow, the arrival area was so messy I didn't know who to ask for my luggages to be brought from my car to the room. Finally a gentleman walks up, with no smile and no greeting, and talks to my partner. My partner hands over the keys for valet parking and we left for the reception to proceed on with our check in. The reception area was noisy and busy. There were plenty of guests not lined up but actually hanging around the reception area to e checked in. By now, I was very pissed off. However, we were welcomed by a staff with delicious welcome drinks (juices) and that made me feel slightly better. As my partner was checking in, I was looking out for my luggages. I realised our car hasn't been moved from that spot, and our luggages were left out and no one was tending to them. Given a really busy area/hotel, anyone could have strolled those luggages and could have pretended it belonged to them. By now, my anger level rose slightly. Finally a porter brings in my bags to the lobby and leaves it by the lift area.
The check in took about 20 mins approximately. But I wished there was order and they should invest more in fixing up customer service for the guests from the arrival area to the check in area.
But that wasn't the worst of all. We booked into our room 329 that was in a corner and when we opened the door, there was this stench of smoke/ cigarettes. I asked my partner whether this was a smoking room, and he said nope. And I was shocked. The toilets weren't cleaned properly. For instance, the bath tub had hair and the shower area had hair. When the porter came in with our bags and asked about the room, my partner mentioned the smoke and asked whether that room was a smoking room. His response was beyond help for a well known 5 star hotel - 'people smoke even though when we clearly say non-smoking room'. He sounded more exhausted than I did.
I was taken aback and I clearly wanted to rest.
The positives about this hotel and the room is that, the room is big. Television has more channels, the in room dining menu is vast and caters for everyone including diabetics. Bathroom is big but with proper cleaning, I think it would have been better. We decided to hit the bar near the pool and we ordered cocktails and just relaxed. There was a guy who served our drinks who was very friendly and we ordered snacks which took forever to come. We made a reservation at the Nuga Gama. Well this was the peak of my experience. I suggest everyone to try this. I mean you don't come to Sri lanka, a country that is rich and strong in culture and not try their authentic food that is cooked originally (just like in the old days, clay pots and man-made fire). The service was good and I enjoyed the cultural ambience and the everyone was dressed traditionally - like how they would have in the past-. The food was delicious and I had no complaints about it.
We checked out at 1130 pm and headed out for the airport and the checkout was a breeze. I did use the business centre to print out some documents however printer had no paper and there were no staff in the room. I just had to source around on my own.
Anyhow, would I be back again? Maybe not. But for the food, yes. Great food poor service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shellylovesburgers

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your feedback.

Let me begin by sincerely apologizing for the severe inconvenience experienced by you, during your stay with us. The problems you encountered are not in keeping with the high standard that we try to portray at all times; However, I would request you personally, to give us another chance to truly experience the grand indulgence of Cinnamon Grand.

We have been able to track your visit, since you had given your room number and we are in the process of investigating the mentioned issues so that corrective measures are taken. However, once again please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was my second trip to the Cinnamon Grand in a month and this time, as I had reserved a number of rooms we were all upgraded to the executive floor. Rooms were larger than standard, with a tub and a shower and much better views. Both classes of room were clean and benefited from a turn down service each night. Staff are friendly and helpful and the range and quality of restaurants is excellent. All of my party were very happy with the choice. The only let down was in the transfer from the airport on arrival. On both trips my company paid for a car in advance but I ended up with a duplicate charge on my bill. Disappointing for a hotel of this class.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for the appreciation of our staff and facilities. However we sincerely apologize for the disappointment about the issue you had with the airport transfer. We are in the process of investigating this matter and ensure you that corrective action will be taken.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Our first stop in Sri Lanka. We arrived at 3am and the staff was really nice and helpful. I indicated the late arrival, however no king bed rooms were available when we got there. Fortunately, it took them all of 15 min to prepare a room. We were a little confused as we thought we paid for breakfast and went to eat and then found out our rate was only for the room. The breakfast buffet was well worth what I thought was a reasonable hotel price of $10/ person. The gym was really well equipped and pools nice for a swim. We also had dinner at Chutney's and the food was great. We had a Dosai, yellow lentils (ok), and the crab dish was the highlight! The price seemed reasonable for a hotel restaurant. Overall, the hotel will have lots of competition soon as there are several amazing hotels being built just down the road if they do not update the interior.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank travelalot68

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your feedback. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with the service and facilities and especially our cuisine. We are also glad you enjoyed your dining experience at the Chutneys and having noted your comments; look forward to have you stay with us again, if you do visit Sri Lanka in the future.

Best regards.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were very disappointed with this hotel and would not stay again. We were looking forward to staying here because we had such a great experience at Cinnamon Wild in Yale.

The service at Cinnamon Grand was well below a standard that we expect from a large professional chain. It was so busy and chaotic when we arrived because of the rain we though but the reception staff were quite abrupt and unhelpful and the hotel was chaotic all the time. While we were waiting for our keys I asked at the concierge desk for information on the restaurants in the hotel. I was told to go back to reception and they would give me a list. Can you believe I was given the paper key holder with the names on the back. If I was one of the restaurant operators I would not be happy with this.

We were given little information on facilities. It was basic information about where to get breakfast.

We tried to ask numerous staff standing around in suits (assume they were managers of some level) how we book for dinner and after being redirected five times I found myself back at reception. The man at reception rang a couple of restaurants and said they were full.

So we asked him to try another, and he dialled and handed us the phone to make our own booking.

I was so annoyed I went to a desk which I think was a service desk, nothing has a name on it ie. concierge, service, reception. I told the man how poor the service was and he asked how he could make it better. I said that we wanted to get into the lagoon restaurant at 830pm. He rang and was told 930 pm. I said 900pm at the latest. He then said 945pm. I said we couldn't do later than 900 and he told me he would put us on standby. When I returned to the room there was fruit and chocolates provided as an apology.

We never got a call to get into the restaurant though and we didn't want fruit we wanted a meal.

The coffee shop and bar area was another disaster in service. We wanted to sit in the bar lounge for coffee and was told to order coffee at the coffee shop. I felt like I was at a shopping mall not an international hotel. Needless to say we waited a very long time for the coffee and I had to go and ask where it was. The next day we returned to the hotel and it was around 4 pm and we wanted a few drinks. We were told to sit outside the coffee shop because the seats in the lounge were reserved for high tea customers. We asked to see a supervisor and we were then given seats.

At the same bar we asked for some wine by the glass. The waiter had no idea where the wine came from and the first glass served was off and I had to ask for another. Either educate staff serving wine on its origins or print on the wine list please.

The rooms were really noisy and we think it was the extractors from kitchen. The rooms were very dated and the carpets well worn and needed a clean.

I will say the only saving grace of our stay was the Chutney restaurant, which I suspect is externally operated. I will do a separate review for that. I would suggest Cinnamon Grand ask the Management of Chutneys to train the cinnamon Grand Staff in customer service.

We really wish we had stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ensure that you ask for quiet room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Antoinette B

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your feedback.

We are very concerned with what has taken place and would like to investigate into this further; as such we shall greatly appreciate if you would give us more details pertaining to your stay - date, duration, room number and your name etc., to the email address given below.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment and we assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure that these types of issues do not happen again. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We sincerely hope you will respond to the email address and also hope that these experiences will not prevent you from staying with us, if you visit Sri Lanka again.

gm.grand@cinnamonhotels.com

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 days at the cinnamon grand Colombo and loved every minute of it. The hotel is very aesthetically pleasing and had the aura of a top class hotel.

We stayed in a beautiful pool facing room, the bed was fantastic! It was very soft and we both really enjoyed the pillow menu. The bathroom was adequate and the tv had a great selection of international channels.

The pool was stunning, there were plenty of sun beds to choose from and the bar staff were very attentive if you needed a drink or lunch.

Restaurants- the variety of restaurants was great, however we visited a little bistro just outside the hotel called 'sugar' and it was fantastic. Additionally we ate in the noodle restaurant which was beautiful I would recommend the lava chocolate dessert.

My wife and I went to the spa while we stayed in the cinnamon grand and it was the best spa treatment that we have ever had, I would highly recommend a visit to the spa if you visit the hotel.

Overall it was an excellent hotel and if I was ever in Colombo again then I would 100% stop in at the cinnamon grand again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brydubai
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review. It is a pleasure to know that you have greatly enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your valuable feedback on our rooms and facilities and we are also glad that you enjoyed your experience at the spa. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for yet another enjoyable stay, with more of our services and cinnamon hospitality.

Best regards.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at the Cinnamon Grand during a friend's wedding. The hotel is fantastic, but one aspect of it ruined out stay there.

We turned up very early in the morning, hours before check-in time, and the reception directed us to the hospitality room for use during that time, which was very comfortable with large sofas, cable TV, coffee making facilities (though there were no clean mugs, just dirty ones they hadn't cleaned up), water and toilets with shower, towels and shampoo/soap/conditioner.

The hotel is absolutely huge, with many restaurants. The breakfast buffet is absolutely fantastic with a very wide range of western and Sri Lankan dishes. We did get confused every day going to breakfast as they seemed to always move it from one place to another each day, so it's never consistently in the same restaurant as the day before (due to private functions, etc).
The rooms are very well kept, and the beds are superior in comfort! No gripes here whatsoever.
The hotel in general seems mainly to be used for functions such as weddings, as the 3 days we were there, we constantly saw some major function or event going on. It can get a bit noisy and crowded throughout the lobby during the day.

The only problem I found was one aspect of the service, which was the laundry. I handed in a bag of laundry to be washed in the morning, and we went out during the day to explore Colombo. When we got back in the late afternoon, we found the laundry had been returned to us in a nice neat package on the bed. Whilst dressing up in my tuxedo for my friend's wedding reception that evening, and my wife in the bathroom after a shower, there was a knock on the door with one of the staff saying he was from the laundry. I opened the door slightly (seeing as my wife was in a state of undress in the bathroom), and he asked to come in, even though I was also half dressed. Confused, I let him as I saw him carrying some laundry, thinking maybe he forgot to deliver some of it earlier. Once he came into the room, he pointed out the package he left on the bed (um, yes we noticed that already...), as well as opening the cupboard to show us the suit and jeans he hung up on hangers. I paused afterwards waiting, wondering if he had purely come to point out what he already delivered. He stood there and stuck his hand out. He wanted a tip. I though it pretty disgusting that he would interrupt me and my wife getting dressed, hours after the laundry had been delivered JUST to ask for a tip. The laundry is already exorbitantly expensive (it cost nearly USD100 for about a dozen items) and delivery is part of the service. If we were present in the room at the time of delivery, I would see that as acceptable for me to tip the staff member, but to come back looking for us JUST to ask for a tip? I though that was disgusting for a 5 star establishment. Can you imagine the daily housekeeping staff knocking on your door every evening to get a tip for cleaning earlier that day?? It's deplorable.

Apart from that, the rest of the staff were fabulous. We continued travelling in Sri Lanka for another 10 days after we checked out and they happily let us leave 2 pieces of luggage for deposit there at the concierge for that time at no extra cost. When we came back 10 days later to collect it, they even let us use the hospitality room again for the few hours we had to kill before our flight out, also at no extra charge.

All in all, a fantastic stay, except for the one very rude, bad mannered staff member coming back for a tip for the laundry. I was tempted to give 3 stars for the service just for that one guy, but the rest of the staff were phenomenal. It's just a shame it spoilt our stay there.

Room Tip: There are 2 main buildings. One of them (seems newer) has a huge indoor air well where events take p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

Whilst appreciating the time taken to post your review and for your overall compliments, we are very sorry to learn about the issue you faced. This is certainly not in keeping with the high standards that we try to maintain at all times and we do need to investigate into your complaint and take necessary action to ensure this does not happen again.

As such, it would be very helpful if you could please give us more details like your room number, name and dates of your stay. You can send it via the email address given below. In the meantime please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment due to this issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I sincerely hope this will not deter you from staying with us again if you do visit Sri Lanka in the future.

gm.grand@cinnamonhotels.com