The Cinnamon Grand is one of those very large and busy international hotels that you find in all big cities of the world. It doesn't have much charm, but it offers all the modern comfort you expect from this type of establishment - and in Sri Lanka where things can be a little hectic, it really matters. I don't think it's appropriately defined as a 5-star hotel, it lacks the luxury I would expect from such a place, it's more of a solid 4-star with good amenities and services.
We stayed 3 nights in 2 different rooms. The first one was in the newer, "premium" wing of the atrium, the second was in the older courtyard wing. While the 1st had a bigger bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub, the decoration of the 2nd one was more to our taste. Both had good beds and all the classic amenities, including an effective a/c unit.
The check-in process seems unnecessarily long, and while the employees at the reception were helpful, they also lack flexibility when it comes to check in times. We arrived around 11:30AM for the second part of our stay and were told no rooms were available until 2PM, and the free wi-fi would only become available to us once we were assigned a room. If you're gonna ask me to wait 3 hours in your lobby, be gracious enough to let me use the wi-fi!!
There are numerous restaurants in the complex, and all the ones we tested were pretty good although very overpriced for Sri Lanka (expect to pay the same for a dinner as you would in your home country if you are from Europe or the US). There's also a small mall attached to the complex, with a few interesting stores, so you can enjoy some shopping without having to endure the chaotic traffic and heat
There are 2 pools, the first by the "lagoon" on the bottom floor is the most crowded, but the other, on the roof of the adjacent spa building, was almost empty.
The hair salon was very inefficient - I was there for a wedding and like many other guests waited for hours for mediocre hair styling. If you need your hair done I would try my chance at one of the salons in the mall.
Employees were generally very helpful and polite, although none of them were smiling much, with the notable exception of the shoeshiner that operates in the courtyard wing, whose genuine smile was refreshing.
The big plus of this place is that they cater for all your needs and offer all kinds of services that make your life easier. They have luggage storage and can keep your bags if you go on a tour or to a beach town for a few days - that was very useful for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 35 kilometers from the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), luxurious Cinnamon Grand Colombo is located in the heart of Colombo City’s business, shopping and entertainment center. Elegantly designed, spacious rooms at the Cinnamon Grand offer a wide range of in-room amenities, king size beds, and a pillow menu to ensure your comfort and pleasure. All rooms feature carefully attended-to bathrooms and toiletries, large flat screen TVs, a mini bar, and WiFi access. The hotel’s 14 restaurants provide an electric mix of international cuisines, including award-winning Sri Lankan seafood at the Lagoon Restaurant & Garden, and the best of European fine dining at the London Grill. To wind down, guests can patronize Cinnamon Grand’s poolside ‘Breeze Bar’ or typical British pub style ‘Cheers Pub,’ and enjoy a wide range of cocktails, beer and fresh juices. There are two gymnasiums, a spa retreat, a tennis court and two pools. Cinnamon Grand is also located right next to Colombo’s high end shopping mall, Crescat Boulevard. Cinnamon Grand Colombo is fully accessible and is an environmentally friendly property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Odigeo, Ebookers, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Priceline, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Cinnamon Grand Colombo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cinnamon Grand Colombo Hotel Colombo
- Cinnamon Grand Hotel Colombo
- Cinnamon Hotel Colombo
- Colombo Cinnamon Grand Hotel