“wonderful location and vibrant place”

Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 2 September 2014

A few of my best restaurants in Sri Lanka found at this hotel. It does a grand job to keep Colombo's reputation and trains hundreds of young hoteliers. Thank you all for your commitment towards the industry. I enjoy staying a few nights every 30 days.

Room Tip: I always prefer staying at the old wing with a view of the pool. Mainly due to the wonderful view of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Neil D
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for patronizing the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are delighted that you enjoy your stays with us and thank you for your valued patronage. We sincerely appreciate your encouraging feedback and look forward to welcome you again for yet another memorable stay with us.

Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,290)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stayed here at the CG on business for 5 nights. Great hotel - lovely spacious, clean and modern room, very helpful staff who could not do enough to help. Food was well prepared and catered for all pallets. Breakfast is a buffet, with various different restaurants for evening dinner. Well located for the city - tutus tw abound, offering cheap, reliable service. This was my first time to Sri Lanka - and I loved it. Would love to bring the family on holiday.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review of the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. It is a pleasure to note that being your first time in Sri Lanka you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your compliments on our hotel, rooms, service and our dining options and do look forward to welcoming you and your family to another grand indulgence at Cinnamon Grand.

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Very nice, big, more of a business type of hotel. Mostly transit passengers stay in the hotel and airways crews too.

I felt like it's a cosmopolitan with multinational visitors. It has beautiful restaurants, food is responsible price and food is international standard.

There is a walking distance mall next to the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your kind review. We are glad you had a good stay and thank you for your compliments on our restaurants and food. We trust you would stay with us again, maybe sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have stayed at a few hotels in Colombo in the last two years and usually prefer boutique hotels here like Casa Colombo and Paradise Road. However, because I had a very early morning flight I chose the Cinnamon Grand and was very happy with it.

It is an enormous 501 room hotel with 14 cafés and restaurants. I had a room in the premium wing, room 561 and it was fantastic with a view of the pool. This was my last night of a 4 month trip in the USA, Europe and Asia and a big, busy hotel was just what I needed. Yes, the comments of some other reviewers may be partly correct. The corridor of my floor did had a bit of a mouldy smell but the room was a classic design with all the amenities you would expect from a five star hotel. It was fantastic.

The Cinnamon Grand is a bit of an icon in Colombo and rightly so. Real Sri Lankans stay here and eat here and drink here. The westerners who think they are having an authentic experience staying at the boutique hotels are a little mistaken. Every time I stay at these types of hotels all I meet are rude foreigners like the French reviewer that precedes this review. I get so frustrated with obnoxious Europeans who travel to Asia and Australia and expect everything will resemble France or wherever they come from.

Despite the damaging comments of the previous reviewer, Sri Lankans are a wonderfully friendly and beautiful people. I have been here three times and have enjoyed every visit. I have travelled the world and you will find hotels in Sri Lanka equal to and better than hotels anywhere.

Now, I partly agree with one comment made by the obnoxious reviewer from France. The front desk staff were a little too business like, bordering on the unfriendly. However, the rest of you staff I encountered were absolutely wonderful.

This is an big, impressive, beautifully designed hotel and worth a stay when next you are in Colombo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer wing overlooking my the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your complimentary review and your recommendation of the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are very pleased to note that you were happy with the choice you made to stay with us and that you enjoyed your stay too.

We do appreciate your valuable feedback on our rooms and facilities and thank you for your compliments. However, we have noted your comments on 2 issues and we will take it up for review and correction. In our endeavour to provide the best possible experience to all our guests, your comments are very important to us and we will certainly ensure to have them looked into.

Thank you once again and we trust you will stay with us in the future for yet another opportunity to indulge in more in our services and cinnamon hospitality.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

First tine here in Sri Lanka, had such an enjoyable stay. Was tossing between hotels in colombo prior to coming. Was comparing The Kingsbury, The cinnamon lakeside and a few other hotels near by. Definitely made the right decision choosing the cinnamon grand. Such a beautiful hotel, with new modern facilities. Rooms were luxurious, the pillows were so comfortable to sleep on, I don't think I have ever had such a comfortable sleep.... and the buffet breakfast!!! Delicious. Will definitely stay here next time i come to Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: We chose the basic entry rooms (deluxe) and that was more than enough. Compared to other hotels I ha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are delighted to note that being your first time in Sri Lanka; you had a grand stay with us. Thank you for appreciating our rooms and facilities, especially our pillow menu and breakfast. Indeed we are looking forward to welcome you to another memorable stay and more indulgence in our services and cinnamon hospitality.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

According to people in Sri Lanka, Cinnamon Grand is the best hotel on the island. If the people in Sri Lanka are right, then the rest of the hotels must suck balls. My room was in the courtyard wing (the older wing) and it faced a junk yard parking lot with crows hanging outside my window. The bathroom was small, and smelled like mould. You can constantly hear people talking outside your room.

There are 13 restaurant/bars/lounges attached to the hotel, the breakfast buffets were okay, but the supposedly "the first 5 star south indian restaurant in sri lanka" (according to what rating anyway?) was not that great. My coworker who is indian couldnt even finish his food.

My desklamp was dead, but they didn't want to fix it at 8pm so they took my bedside lamp and put it on my desk.

The "travel agent" downstairs books cars for you and these drivers who take you around on tours do not actually take you on a tour. They take you to places that sell you crap for very expensive (spice garden sold medication that costs like $40, glenloch tea sold teabags 10 for $40) so that the driver can get a commission. The driver refuses to take you to places you want to go, or stop in places you want stop at, and charges you extra because you want to go to the bank to get cash.

Taking the taxi from the hotel is 1300 rupees to go to petta market, while a tuk tuk costs 300 rupee.

Taking the taxi from the hotel to the airport was supposedly 5000 rupees and 6000 for pick up according to front desk. We took airport taxi for 3000 rupees to go to the hotel, but from hotel the hotel taxi charged 5500.

Nothing about this hotel was pleasant. Even the service people were not that nice. But then again, Sri Lanka in general was this way so what can you do?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lynnie_poops

Thank you for staying at Cinnamon Grand Colombo and thank you for your feedback.

Sorry!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Cinnamon Grand, Colombo - we stayed 3 nights (4 Aug - 6 Aug) to get over the long journey from UK which proved to be a great idea. The Cinnamon Grand is a very nice hotel and offers a wide range of facilities. We travelled as a family and was given a put me up bed for our 9yr old daughter this was very substantial but made the suite a little small. We had an excellent view of the city and overlooked the lake which was very nice. We used the pools, gym and the tennis courts all of which were maintained to a high standard.
I have only given it a very good due to the fact we couldn't get into any restaurants of our choice. My advice is book a table as soon as you arrive (however we felt we didn't want to be tied down to a certain meal on a certain day - much to our annoyance).
Overall we had fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Book a restaurant in advance to avoid disappointment - additionally the little mall (out of the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We are delighted that you had a relaxing stay and enjoyed our wide range of facilities.

We appreciate your encouraging feedback on our services however, we are very sorry that you could not dine at the restaurants of your choice. We sincerely hope you would have another opportunity to truly experience the grand indulgence of Cinnamon Grand.