“POST SOVIET BIG HOUSE”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Tashkent
San Francisco, California
“POST SOVIET BIG HOUSE”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It is central location yet felt that rooms were slightly overpriced especially for what you get.It was your typical nice Post Soviet Building. The hotel built in 1973 looks like it had its Heydey at one time many years ago.Ask if the rates include breakfast as some don't. The hotel has a tour desk Operation a reservation agent .A dive thru the past at this hotel they have restuarant There are gift shops,restaurant,foreign currency exchange.Make sure to have crisp late dated banknotes.The staff was nice always tenative to me.Rooms were average withmost all overlooking the plaza or back street. Basic rooms with Soviet atmosphere. Spend the night here yet thats about it in that regard.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
tehran
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay in Tashkent and enjoyed a lot, not in Uzbekistan Hotel but in the city...
we had a very good access to metro station which was at the gate of hotel, taxi cabs which were usually available in front of the hotel, and good restaurants and also historical places which were not far from the hotel.
The room which was located at 11th floor had an acceptable Wi-Fi access and a very good view of Amir-Teimur Square but the room itself was unsatisfactory, the shower was broken and leaking, and had no warm water!!! the sheets on the bed were not clean and had had some holes and had ripped. Mini bar was deserted and there was no water bottles in the room so we bought water from the bar at twice price!!! There was no safety box in the room, so I asked the reception and they offered me the safety box at the reception desk, there was two rows of old safety box (about 50 boxes) which only one of them was safe and the rest were out of order.
If you do not expect a 4* you may enjoy your stay because I believe it is 3* (Maximum!!!)

Room Tip: the rooms at 8th floor are better than 11th and 12th floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Nice hotel, good breakfast in a huge room. The Uzbeki football team were staying whilst we were here - it made it feel more authentic. The gym in the hotel is awful but it is there. The buildings around the hotel are interesting, similar to what you see in Asgabat.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank secretgardenofjane
Reviewed 6 February 2014

It's one of the best hotel in Tashkent. Location of hotel is very good middle of the city. Staff also very helpful they can't do enough for you. Breakfast is very nice good selection of foods. Keep it up

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarvar N
Hyderabad
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Be frank Hotel Ujbekistan is one of the oldest Hotel needs to modernize mostly carpet dusted needs to replace you cant find a single water bottle in mini bar & you cant get elevator signals from out side whether the elevator is coming or not BUT the location and view from the Room ,Room size and well working heaters dominates all of these negative points very big lobby good staff also there is one cafe in lobby and the chef of Restaurant is very good person he listens what guest is asking and serves with love and he greets every one "salama lekum"breakfast with cake,omelet,breads and dry fruits.
This Hotel location is Heart of the city Amir Temur Square

Room Tip: Higher floors to get good view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SPECIALDAY
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for one night each at beginning and end of a trip to Uzbekistan. The hotel served its purpose well. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and most things worked. Breakfast was buffet style and probably as good as you'll get. There is a great view from the bar on the top floor. We ate at the restaurant twice and the food was OK with some choice for non meat eaters and reasonable prices. Hotel staff were friendly enough if a little lackluster. Good location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband reserved a room for 2 nights for Dec.30, 2013 - Jan.1, 2014. He was supposed to come from Istanbul and meet with me and kids in Tashkent. I had to go Turkish embassy early morning on Dec. 30 and flied from Urgench to Tashkent on Dec. 29th. Due to a delay I arrived at hotel at 12:30am on Dec.30. The front desk told me that I will be able to check into the room my husband reserved in the morning, so they offered me a room for $150 to stay there for just few hours. The room was not for $150. They required a payment upfront. They did not accept credit cards, because the system was not working, I offered to pay in dollars, they asked for Uzbek sums. So in the middle of the night a 3 months pregnant woman with 4 and 5 years-old kids tired and sleepy after a flight were running in the hotel to exchange dollars and were able to get into the room only by 2:oo am.
I am a citizen of Uzbekistan, but my son and daughter had Turkish and USA passports. They required a marriage certificate. There was a man who looked like a foreigner who worked that night at reception who told me that kids Uzbek visa expired on Dec.29. And I said that we are doing our best to extend this visa. Next day we had breakfast. Breakfast was horrible. Then we left the hotel and came back afternoon. As we entered the hotel, one the guys stating in front called for us and demanded for a valid visa for my kids. I explained the situation that I had just arrived to do extension of my kids visa, and was not able to come earlier because I had to renew my passport and get OVIR (Uzbek visa for Uzbek citizens to be able to travel abroad) in order to go out from Uzbekistan. Since 2007 I live in USA. That afternoon we moved into the suite that my husband reserved. It was very cold there. No one even turned on the heat. It took me a while to find out and turn on the heat and the suit was not warmed even when we were leaving it.
That afternoon I had to go to OVIR at Tashkent international airport to get exit visas for my kids. But OVIR demanded to pay fine. So the head of tourist firm that obtained T-visas for my kids refused to pay the fine and decided to resolve this issue in different way. According to the new regulations I could apply for Uzbek passport for my kids. We were not able to get our exit visas and came back to hotel late evening. The hotel staff was calling my room and demanding us to leave the hotel. I did not know what to do. I did not know where to go with kids. It was around 11 pm I found another hotel to stay that night. I had pressure on me and my kids during the short stay in that hotel and we were forced to leave the hotel in the middle of the night. I was crying that all night and my kids were very sad because of all happened.
So we had to go to a new hotel and next morning my husband arrived. On Jan.2, 2014 we checked into Dedeman hotel where no one even asked for a document for our kids. I recommend Dedeman. We stayed there till January 6, everything was excellent in Dedeman. Dedeman Hotel staff was great, breakfast was excellent, rooms are warm and clean.
I do not recommend Hotel Uzbekistan to those who are looking for accommodation in Tashkent at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank UmidaY

Travellers are raving about these Tashkent hotels