Best Eastern Poytaht Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$215
US$302
US$176
  • Pool
Safar Hotel(Tashkent)(Great Value!)
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed at the Poytaht for 2 nights in September. The room was very comfortable and clean when I arrived at 4am. They did not clean it again during my stay. That was fine with me, but I hope they don't forget for longer stays.

The A/C didn't work, but I could maintain a nice temperature with the window open. Fortunately, it was quiet and there were no (significant) bugs.

The breakfast was uninspiring with limited choices, and the breakfast room is in need of a makeover. That said, the pancakes were quite good.

The front desk staff were quite rude when I arrived, which struck a particularly jarring note at 4am. Admittedly, I'm sure it's hard to find people willing to work that shift, but given the number of late night arrivals in Tashkent, the hotel should stress the importance of customer service. On my first morning (4 hours later), I asked the next shift where I would find breakfast. The young woman rolled her eyes and said very sarcastically, "In the restaurant?" The same words, without the tone which implied that I was a moron, would have been fine.

The internet did not work during my stay, either from my room or from the lobby. The front desk staff didn't seem to consider this a problem and were annoyed when I brought it (very nicely) to their attention.

On a positive note, I had a superb dinner on the lovely balcony of the "Bacardi Bar," which is tucked away on a far wing of the 3rd floor. The service was excellent as well and it was the high point of my stay at the Poytaht.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Susan1958
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed twice at the Poytaht hotel, giving it asecond chance, but in the end felt it was a huge mistake. It had gotten very good reviews on Trip Advisor but we found it very lacking. On our first stop, we had arranged for a transfer from the airport, but the promised pickup never showed and when we arrived at the hotel, no apology was made. It had a great central location and comfortable beds (the sheets were too small), but the room was worn and dirty, had barely any hot water, and intermittent, surly service. The business center did provide free internet service when they were open, but they rarely observed their posted opening hours, and one day never bothered to open at all. The hotel supposedly had wi-fi, but we could never find a signal. They were painting and putting in some new flooring, so perhaps it will be a bit nicer in the future, but I would stay away. In fact, we found it completely inappropriate to be painting our hallway, while we were there. I think they should have waited for a slower time, and just closed the wing off for repairs. There are lots of other hotels, but they all seem to get mixed reviews. They do have an in-house restaurant that provides a good breakfast as part of the room rate. We ate a couple of other meals there, which were decent, but we were the only diners in the room. Our waiter had, by far, the best attitude of any staff in the hotel and really tried to please.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruby84
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We stayed 3 times in the hotel during our 18 day tour. On our first stay (one night) we were given a large room on the fourth floor, carpet dirty and bathroom less than spotless. On our second stay (one night) we were allocated a junior suit on the third floor, large bedroom, lounge area with balcony and separate bathroom. It was very clean and comfortable. On our third stay (two nights) we were allocated a large room on the fourth floor much cleaner and beter equipped that our first. Every room had a fridge (ask reception to unlock it), bath with shower and working hairdrier. Bedding was always clean. The hotel is having a makeover, lots of repainting and renewal going on, the hall carpets do need replacing and perhaps will be done when the painting is over. On our last day the breakfast room was closed for referbishment. Physical standards of the hotel were OK.
Breakfast in comparison to other hotels we stayed at in the country was poor, choices were limited. not always hot and not always replaced. The hotel appeared very busy with tourists and locals competing for the limited table space. Front of desk staff spoke some English (some better than others) but always tried to help.
There is a pool but when we were there it was not being used and perhaps would look better in the hot summer.
We ate in the linked Korean/Japanese restaurant (Midori) twice during our stay, the food was excellant although expensive by Uzbek standards. It was however quite authentic and provided a welcomed change from standard Uzbekistan fare.
The hotel is centrally located, among wide streets and parks, its an easy walk to the opera house and to a main shopping street with eating places and a supermarket.
All in all the hotel was fine however I'm not certain if it deserves 'top ranking' on the trip advisor sight for accommodation in Tashkent. It may be inexpensive but ...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Excellent value. I had a single room for $45. The room was very spacious, comfortable, there was a bathtub, everything was very clean. Free Internet access. The reception desk staff speak adequate to good English and are professional, although I was surprised that they could not find a massage therapist for me. The restaurant staff are friendly. Good breakfast with a huge variety of items to choose from -- they even serve oatmeal. Probably the best hotel breakfast I had in Uzbekistan of the four hotels I stayed in. There is a clean swimming pool (as opposed to the muddy brown water in the pools of the top hotels in Bukhara ! ) , a Korean-Japanese restaurant, and the location is very, very central and convenient.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ElizabethTudor
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We stayed for four nights on the way to the Kazakhstan v England football match in Almaty. On the flight from London the airline lost my baggage, so I was not best pleased when I arrived at the hotel with absolutely nothing. However, the front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even calling my mobile when I was out on trips with news of my luggage. I and my partner had one room, which was an entire suite, with sitting room and bedroom. Our friend just had a normal hotel room but all were clean and above average for the standard, anywhere, not just in Uzbekistan. The location is great and the whole experience was much better than I had expected. Would definitely recommend it for a stay in Tashkent.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends