“i wouldn't go back!”
Review of Sultanahmet Hamami

Sultanahmet Hamami
Ranked #79 of 221 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
Reviewed 30 December 2012

there was a cockroach in the sauna. yes, a cockroach! and yes, a sauna - traditional turkish hammam, no? (sarcasm).

for 90TL, i should have gone elsewhere. lesson learned.

4  Thank Beezer333

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Sultanahmet hamam is situated close to agia sofia museum..I think that is cheaper than many other hamams in kostadinoupol..the people that run it are very friendly and the cost for about 1 hour is 20 euro per person..i would love to visit it again.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Value: Average, it cost €60 for the works

Location: Very good, 3 minutes walk from Aya Sofia

Facilities: Very poor. The sauna was communal and not working, the pool had no water on it, the massage was on a cold stone and access to the changing rooms was in a communal area next to the female massage rooms, which it was evident some women were uncomfortable about.

Massage: Lonely Planet says some Hammam massages are amazing, some are middle of the road and some are dangerous. This was dangerous and clearly amateur. It lasted about 10 minutes, which I was actually grateful for so I wouldn't be in any more pain!

Staff: Abrupt, rude and unhelpful.

2  Thank jalmalah
Reviewed 5 November 2012

dont go there! am telling u! not only was it a bad experience and not fun or at all relaxing, but also i had money taken from me!
i was hoping to go to a hamam before my flight, i got off the tram and as soon as i stepped off the platform i saw this hamam, i though oh - this is my lucky day! went there, saw they were over priced but didnt care, went for the 90 TL full program which should have 20 min bath, 20 min scrub/ soap massage and 20 min oil massage.
they gave me a room with a key to change there and leave my things. the bath took endlessly long, and was very warm i got so dizzy sitting there not knowing what to do. until a lady came to get me for the scrub which wasnt bad but she didnt wash my hair properly and i left the place with shampoo still in my hair.
as for the oil massage, was not good at all. the lady doing the massage knows nothing of how to do a massage. she was very sloppy, the oil used is baby oil and smells bad and went on for maybe 10 mins not 20 at all! i left the place without leaving a tip cause i was unsatisfied but very tired and couldn't bother complaining.
after the hamam i had to head back to the hotel for my shuttle ride to the airport and as soon as i got to the airport and was at the duty free shop, i discovered i had 1500 DHS which is around 300 EUR stolen from my wallet, sadly my flight was boarding and i didnt have enough time or energy to go report it.
i had a feeling this place was shady, but its a heavy touristic area so i didnt expect it to be that bad or that they are thieves. i seriously wish i was back in Turkey now so i'd report them! this was definitely a bad experience for a Turkish hamam.

4  Thank Abeer1404
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We got most terrible experience there in our stay of Turkey. A man in front of the entrance explained us that we could take 1-hr bath and massage with 60 TL + 0.5-hr oil massage with 30 TL. So we decided to take both services with 90 TL.
In fact we got totally only 15-min massages and bath with very rude and scamped services!
Our masseur (Ms.Gulusfan Masor) dashed to TV watching immediately after finishing her sloppy work to us. We were so disappointed and claimed her to refund the fee of 90 TL each with right reasons, however she started pretending not to understand English with smile thinly and shouted something to us in Turkish.
Unfortunately there was no owner or the shop manager there, and we found it no-use to continue negotiating with her. (There were few massuurs then, but no one showed us any solution ways.)
The bath (Hamami) room was not hot enough in spite of evening time, and the equipments were poor hygiene with water stains.
We NEVER recommend you to visit this hamami as long as you desire to experience something disgusting inTurkey.

3  Thank Yuki M